PLO MTT strategy

Y

Year Zero

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO MTT strategy different from cash games? If so, please provide your thoughts here or link me to a current ongoing thread about it

Btw to be specific, MTT buyins that are micro stakes level ($20 and lower)

Thanks

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well, i don`t play PLO, but certainly it is. The goal of each game is different as it is in NLHE. Besides that if you are enphasizing the buy-in price, i get that they are big for your bankroll. So i would advice you to reflect twice before entering these tourneys. Omaha tourneys usually are more expensives due to the minor number of players.

A

Auswa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight is right in PLO tournaments.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, it is different.
First, the rake. The rake is a huge factor in the cash games. The equity of the hands is similar. You choose you hands for some other "reasons", not equity (most likely). In MTT the rake (the fee) is not such a huge factor. I know, 10%+ fee, less than 5% rake for cash. But you pay this fee only one time. And also, if you double up, you pay same rake. I mean you pay 10% fee for $5 buy in. But if you have chips for $10 (double stack), then the fee is 5% already.
You can play more loose at the early stages. You still have interest for a "nutty" hands, for playability, but not like in the cash games. For example in the cash games Axxx suited is a very good compared to Kxxx suited. Postflop nut flush is very good compared to King high flush. In the MTT you don't play so "strictly", but more "fishy".
Also like in Holdem MTT, you want to have a big stack or to finish the tournament. The big stack is advantage. Also playing with a "little" -EV moves is better for your $/hour win rate. If you play MTT. In Omaha MTT is even better to think like that. Because the ICM is a very "ugly" factor in the late stages. The hands have very similar equity. The big stacks have more equity with their "moves", because the ICM is not such a big factor for them. Like for the middle stacks. Simply the big stacks can do whatever they want to do. They play loose and still they have good equity. Even with some ugly hands. And they have fold equity , because the ICM.

You can use limp in Omaha. In the early and in the late stages. You know, because this is a pot limit. Not no limit...And because the FE in the early stages is small. In the cash games is small, in the MTT even smaller.

Play more hands, try to hit something strong postflop. Strong hand or strong draw. Try to double up. And again, and again...Pressure the people before the money, play carefull if you don't have a big stack and there is a "heavy" ICM.

Last edited: