PLO or Hold'em is more profitable?

D

Deedoox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
I read a lot that Texas Hold'em cash games were softer (about 10 years earlier) and now they are hard to beat even in the micro- and low stakes. How about PLO games? If I know well they started to be popular from 2008 and maybe there are still more fish.
Does this mean that an AVERAGE player can beat PLO with a better BB/100 than Hold'em? (Assuming a decent player and not a newbie.)

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plo is harder to learn and get good at, but it is softer.

The swings in PLO are muchhhhhhhhh worse than in holdem.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO it is normal to lose 6 buy-ins in a session. The variance and swings because of the monster draws that always show up it masks weak players that do not know they are weak players. Also PLO is less strategic and more straightforward than NLH. NLH is more beatable and enjoyable.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i say holdem is more profitable, cause of all the swings in plo you can crush it if you know the game well, long term holdem cash is more profitable but less fun of a game

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO is much easier for me, it's easier to assemble the nuts, it's worth playing with only the best hands, if you do not have a flush from an ace or a full house, then most of the time you have a weaker hand than your opponent's.
So my choice is for Omaha, but there are not a lot of good Omaha tournaments now on PS, so I'm playing Hold'em.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find PLO has wider swings but is softer too. I still believe it is the game on a rise.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depend on which game you are better at. I believe PLO will have bigger swings, so you might win more in one session, but on the flip side you could also lose that amount as well. Whichever one you are better at, NLHE or PLO, you should probably stick with and go for it. Good luck!

D

Deedoox

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO it is normal to lose 6 buy-ins in a session. The variance and swings because of the monster draws that always show up it masks weak players that do not know they are weak players. Also PLO is less strategic and more straightforward than NLH. NLH is more beatable and enjoyable.

i say holdem is more profitable, cause of all the swings in plo you can crush it if you know the game well, long term holdem cash is more profitable but less fun of a game

Yes I understand the swings in PLO but if we see in the long term is it more profitable than Holdem?

JDCT12

JDCT12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone said so far. I find it easy to get it in ahead but I tilt easily.

K

KingTurd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would assume PLO could be more profitable if you can manage your bankroll. Bankroll management is more important in PLO the hold em. I am trying really hard to learn PLO to earn an edge there.

C

clyde86

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
seems like there's more that can go wrong in holdem...is like in omaha since the hands are all so hi...ya pretty much know whether you should stay...its almost like playing just the top 3 hands in poker...seems my decisions are always easy...do i have the nuts, no...some1 does. If youre lucky it's DEF more profitable...more skill level to be assessed in holdem I'd say...plus i figure omaha is generaly experienced poker players...holdem has everyone that just wants to play poker mixed in

S

Stan71

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PLO even with its high variance and big swings compared to Hold em is more profitable.

The main way to make money in PLO is where players whose preflop strategy is weak and end up building up big pots and have to give up or call with a middling hand.

So for us to win those big pots we have understand which hands do well heads up or in multiway pots and stay out of trouble.