Playing pairs in PLO High

set4d

set4d

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I predominantly play cash PLO High. One area of my game that I'm struggling with is how to play pocket pairs.

How do you guys play pairs? I guess the higher the better but the number of times I've folded any pair regardless of strength and seen a third or even third and fourth (thus missing the trip or quad) is amazing.

Are pocket pairs dangerous? I always play them if they connect or make good potential hands (as you would expect) but should I play them more often than I do?

Cheers,

Rich

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't pretend it's the better way to play them, but here's how I play pairs:

AA: always raise if there's no action in front of me, but not max. After the flop, if I don't catch anything (including draws), I'm very careful

KK and QQ: same thing, but if an Ace comes (or K with QQ), I'm mostly out.

JJ, TT and 99: I need connectors to go with them and at least suited once...

Anything lower: Mostly fold preflop if I don't avec 2 connected cards suited with them.

If I hit top trips on the flop, I play agressively every pair cause there are so many draws on PLO... I'm way more cautious with 2nd pair and even more with 3rd.

So to answer your question: YES they are dangerous. Don't get result oriented by a trip or even a quad caught after the flop. Mostly, I believe the right thing to do is to be cautious.

At least, that's what I think from my 10 years experience and some book reading on it.

set4d

set4d

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

AA: always raise if there's no action in front of me, but not max. After the flop, if I don't catch anything (including draws), I'm very careful

Anything lower: Mostly fold preflop if I don't avec 2 connected cards suited with them.

If I hit top trips on the flop, I play agressively every pair cause there are so many draws on PLO... I'm way more cautious with 2nd pair and even more with 3rd.

So to answer your question: YES they are dangerous. Don't get result oriented by a trip or even a quad caught after the flop. Mostly, I believe the right thing to do is to be cautious.

At least, that's what I think from my 10 years experience and some book reading on it.

Brilliant! Thank you!! You've kinda confirmed what I was thinking but in a much more understandable way. :)

D

drbi1951

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
omaha book?

You mention a book. I have not been able to find any books about playing PLO. Any suggestions?

RedGnom

RedGnom

Run, Forester! Run!
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You mention a book. I have not been able to find any books about playing PLO. Any suggestions?
Being experienced player in Holdem, you can start to read The Pot-Limit Omaha Book: Transitioning from NLHE to PLO by Tri "Slowhabit" Nguyen. Then Pot-Limit omaha poker: The Big Play Strategy by Jeff Hwang. I would also recommend you to follow this reference:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/best-poker-books-win-2-free-391386/?highlight=book
Good luck!