Playing at your right level

P

pokeherfreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is it possible to lose money because you're bot playing at the right level? I always play 5/10 and always lose.
I blame it on luck but a big part is me not really carting if I lose 5-10 bucks.
I started playin 10/25 yesterday and I seem to be way more alert. I took 25 bucks to 120. Fromtckx last 25 bucks I'm now almost back to 200. Is it possible that this is the level I should be playing at?

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're definitely not ready for 25NL. The stakes only get harder and harder as you move up. You're just experiencing positive variance (an upswing) and that's why you think you can beat 25NL. You should start at 2NL and continue playing that until you win at least 30 buyins ($60+). Once you do that successfully, then you'll be ready for 5NL/10NL.

R

rugelis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you blame it on luck you are definatly not rdy yet. There is no luck in poker in the long run. Good players win and bad players keep losing

P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance can fool players if they aren't careful. Start at 2NL and keep track of your wins/losses. When you can consistently beat 2NL, move up to 5NL and so on. It is true that the play differs between the levels...especially above 10NL. If you feel like you only concentrate when you have more $ at risk, change your attitude. Make it a challenge to win at 2NL for 5 games in a row, then 6, etc. Also, keep track of your leaks and see if you can spot any bad habits. This will help you become a stronger player and not lose so much figuring out what you need to improve upon. GL!

P

pokeherfreak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advice, guys. I think it's time to do some reading.
Any good books for online play, 6 max?

6bet me

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advice, guys. I think it's time to do some reading.
Any good books for online play, 6 max?

I'd recommend watching the "Grinding It Up" series on YouTube by Felix Schneiders. I'd also recommend reading "Crushing the Microstakes" by Blackrain79.

M

moosepaw

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there's also playing at a 'worse' level. too many fish to even play poker many times! bluffing is not a thing many times at too low of stakes.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good BRM is the most important part of poker.
I would not be here if I didnt strictly follow these principles.

P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea with 25 bucks in you definetly should be lowering your stakes, jumping into 5/10 is gonna be some decent players. With whatever money your bringing to the table try to go in wit 2-3 bullets of the max buy in for that table

Fish2014

Fish2014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
friend the most important is a good management of your second bank plays in limits you to feel comfortable many times exceed this level and try to upload sometimes can be a mistake

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm enjoying reading easy game by baluga whale (Andrew seidman) it preaches a much more aggressive style than most books though.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance can fool players if they aren't careful. Start at 2NL and keep track of your wins/losses. When you can consistently beat 2NL, move up to 5NL and so on. It is true that the play differs between the levels...especially above 10NL. If you feel like you only concentrate when you have more $ at risk, change your attitude. Make it a challenge to win at 2NL for 5 games in a row, then 6, etc. Also, keep track of your leaks and see if you can spot any bad habits. This will help you become a stronger player and not lose so much figuring out what you need to improve upon. GL!

This is excellent advice. It is amazing how quick that bankroll can disappear because we thought we had the game figured out. Don't try to advance beyond your comfort level, unless you really want to gamble. All the successful pros say that the most important thing they learned was Bankroll Management. I would be inclined to follow their advice.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm enjoying reading easy game by baluga whale (Andrew seidman) it preaches a much more aggressive style than most books though.
That's not a bad thing.

People that play aggressively are already doing several things right, even if they're doing it in all the wrong spots. That's why maniacs usually survive for longer than calling stations.
Betting gives your opponent a chance to fold. If he folds, you win the hand whether you were ahead or not.
If you're passive, you give him free cards to draw out on you, you pay off all his value bets, and you don't get enough value out of your strong hands.

There's a reason why all good books will promote a TAG style - tight aggressive!

there's also playing at a 'worse' level. too many fish to even play poker many times! bluffing is not a thing many times at too low of stakes.
This is just horrible advice!
The more fish there are, the more you stand to win. Your win rate will come from fish, not from regulars and/or better players.
The idea is to exploit your opponents. Fish are FAR more easy to exploit than regs, and if you don't know how to do it, then you're playing at stakes you shouldn't be playing at.

What, do you think that Daniel Negreanu, Phil Laak, Gus Hansen, Phil Ivey, Tom Dwan and Phil Hellmuth would EVER play at a table where it's just them, if it weren't for a TV show with none of their own money at stake?
No, if these guys are all at the same table in a real cash game, then that's because there's some idiot millionaire donking away tens of thousands of dollars at that table as well.
Your money comes from weaker players - not from players that are of your skill level, and definitely not from players that are more skilled than you.

Basically, if you're saying "I hate playing with fish - that's not poker", then frankly, you're the fish.

Oh, and btw, if bluffing is not a thing at certain stakes because nobody ever folds, then guess what? You shouldn't bluff at those stakes! ;)

D

diegoduran

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good advice i've gotten is this

-bankroll management:

Max buyin for cash games = 5% of your bankroll

Max buyin for tourneys/sngs = 2% of your bankroll

P

PokermodusON

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good advice i've gotten is this

-bankroll management:

Max buyin for cash games = 5% of your bankroll

Max buyin for tourneys/sngs = 2% of your bankroll

I think 2% is to much for tourneys you shouldnt invest more than 1% and if you want to be safe you should have at least 200-300 buy ins