Play or fold suited low cards

A

AllInTime25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play suited cards even if there low but if the blinds are raised and say i have 6 7 suited i fold ... otherwise i like to try and catch a flush ... how do u play low suited cards

aznstyle931

aznstyle931

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would ususally fold but for me it depends who i am playng with

Crumble

Crumble

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play suited cards when there are lots of other players in a raised pot. Chances are they are all playing big cards, which means they are less likely to hit the flop and I am more likely to flop at least a decent draw. A baby straight or 2 small pairs is likely to take down a big pot.

Actually I like to play them when there are lots of players in an unraised pot as well :)

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low suited connectors should be played usually only in large pots that are unraised or raised (limit more than no-limit). I occasionaly limp with a hand like 87 suited in late position to see a flop.

I don't recommend playing any suited cards below 67, they don't have much value even when you hit a hand (flush, two pair, etc.)

In limit games you might want to occasionaly throw in a raise with a hand like this just to show your opponenets that you can raise with a variety of hands.

S

Silverstar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of tournament i like to play with middle card(78,89,910,810)but if the blinds are to high i only play with big hand!

C

CutCard4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Like all things poker, it depends. I would need more information about a specific situation before being able to offer much more than that, but a major consideration for me when choosing to play mid suited connectors is POSITION. UTG or EP, I won't play these unless the table is super weak and I can either limp in or get heads up with a std (2-3x) raise. MP or late, if everyone folds before then a std raise is appropriate if the table is not full of maniacs who are going to jam the pot after you. I don't like them from the SB unless there are several limpers in front and I think I can get in for a 1/2 bet, and will just limp these (along with anything but a premium hand) from the BB.

The reason I like to play these is that they're easy to get away from if the flop doesn't hit you.

Also, I'm talking about a NL tourny. I have no idea about ring or limit, and as alway, YMMV. Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just re-read the topic and noticed that it said "suted LOW cards". As far as truly low ones, anything below 56 generally hits the muck. I was only talking about 56 (which is stretching it a bit, much more comfortable with 78) or better.

Last edited:
K

koy4714

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Doyle Brunson

Just finished reading Super System II (At least the limit and no-limit hold'em sections!) and Doyle Brunson absolutely loves small-suited connectors. He feels that you can absolutely bust someone when they hit.

From my limited experience, they're a tough hand to hold on to. I've tried playing them but either the flop is useless to me and I toss them soon after or I catch the middle or small pair and try to hold on but ultimately muck them.

But if they're good enough for Doyle Brunson, they're definately good enough for me!

"If you're going to call, why not raise?"

GsmVortex

GsmVortex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's more secure to fold, but if the call price is low I call...

D

dydig

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless there are only a few players I wouldnt touch them at all. You hope to catch the flush, and when you do, you fear that theres a bigger one out there. No thanks, that can cost you big time. I'd rather wait my turn at the big hands. And with that said I flopped a straight flush on a 6-8 suited yesterday ,)

/dydig

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually, I fold them. Sometimes I would play them if the preflop bet is low but not often.:smokin:

B

brianwogan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i ussually play low suited cards especialy if im a blind. even if someone raises.

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ummmm suited connectors.. You'd definatly need pot odds in your favor to call with them. Call with 5 or more players.. and after the flop if they don't fit your hand, then most likely fold.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer connected cards, like 4-5, as i always seem to get beat with six high flushes, but if the flop comes 2-3-6, no ones going to put you on the straight

P

pagemaster25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
suited

i play suited most of the time but if there lowe and not connecters i fold them up

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont play low suited cards unless its a 7 8 or higher usually. I have lost way too much money when I hit a low flush and 4 end up coming up on the board.

G

Geo2124

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i love playing low sutierd connetors. I always seen to have someting. Two pair, flush draw stright draw, they have many possiblilitys of getin a hand !

K

Kanufi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Crumble said:
I like to play suited cards when there are lots of other players in a raised pot. Chances are they are all playing big cards, which means they are less likely to hit the flop and I am more likely to flop at least a decent draw. A baby straight or 2 small pairs is likely to take down a big pot.

Actually I like to play them when there are lots of players in an unraised pot as well :)
The same theory occured to me as well. I tried it but so far without much success. I would like to know if this theory is actually proven somewhere. Any information on this would be appreciated.

B

baudib

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I caught lightning in a bottle today.

online tournament, UTG puts in minimum raise (early in the tourney, so it's only a $60 bet). everyone fold to me in the big blind. I have 54, the Moneymaker hand.

The flop: It's hard to believe: 5 4 5! flopped a boat!

I check to the raiser, he fires out a $200 bet. I take my time, and call. I've got him on a high pocket pair. Setting my trap!

Turn: garbage, I check, he hits me again for a $200 bet. I take my time and call.

River: nothing, no high card, so he hasn't made his boat. Check; he bets me half my stack, $700, and I go all-in. He gleefully calls!

Goodnight Irene! He had pocket kings.

J

Jon_UK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll limp in with anything from 4/5 suited upwards, or I'll play them for a small raise if there are several other callers. I don't consider 7/8 more valuable than 4/5, both have maximum stretch for a straight, are unlikely to make you top pair (i'm looking to catch trips/2pair, straight or flush with these hands) and they're all dead to a bigger flush if there's one out there.

B

bradf024

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on where your postition is on the table I usually play low suited connectors when im late position and have favorable pot odds

T

teach21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
suited connectors...

play them for cheap if you can..they can surprise people...dont spend a good percent of your stack obviously

S

S2kalltheway

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you can really ask if you should play a hand or not with out telling us the information about the situation. How many people are at the table? How many chips do you have compared to everybody else?What are the blinds? What number player are you to act? Did anybosy raise? You need to know all of those to know to play a hand or not. Usually you wouldn't play that kinda hand unless there are only 2 or 3 people at the table and nobody raised.

J

Jon_UK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
S2kalltheway said:
Usually you wouldn't play that kinda hand unless there are only 2 or 3 people at the table and nobody raised.

Low suited connectors play better against more players. The more players are in the pot, the better your pot-odds, and the more worthwhile they are to play.

S

S2kalltheway

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when there are a lot of people at a table you should play fewer hands than if there were fewer people at the table.

B

black haze420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i play a ton of hands, i will always play low suited connectors if it wasnt raised because u never know what u could flop

Folding in Poker