re: Poker & Online v Live cash game strategy
Originally Posted by K3Suited
I find myself playing the same style online as I do live. Effective or no?
No. The betting style is different. The bet sizing is different. The fundamentals of the game change. People play there hands much different online then they would online. There is a lot more "all in" action live than online. Online you can't find out tells
on a person. In person you can see the tells, hear the tells and pick up on good reads which will take experience.
Here are some suggestions I can tell you if you play live.
1) Play tight
2) If you don't flop a set, then check/fold
3) Be careful playing paired boards
4) People play pre-flop much looser live, than online
5) Don't always rely on "pot odds
" every hand. Online you can get pot odds
a lot, in live you rarely ever have "pot odds" look for implied odds situations and only "call when it is worth it".
6) Don't get stuck meaning, don't call someone down with only top pair/top kicker
7) Stay disciplined and be patient
8) Wait for made hands (set, straight, flush, full house, Top two-pair)
9) If you get into a betting war or calling down someone make sure you have a strong hand.
At least that is what I would say to help you out. Opponents rarely fold an open-ended straight draw live they play much looser.