Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo starting hands

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a decent omaha and o. hi/lo player and understand what hands are good to play with
but I have never found a general guide on the best starting hands
i understand for Omaha hi/lo AA23 double suited is nice and others that give you options for hi and lo hand are good starting hands

i don't have a clue for omaha though...AAKK double suited? or is a str8 and flush drawing hand ex. AKQJ double suited better?
as in Holdem, AA is considered the best starting hand, what is the best omaha hand?

i like omaha almost more than NLHE but am still very inexperienced

anyone have a general guide on this or have played omaha and hi/lo for a long time and have any input?

thanks in advance guys

oh yea...
are Omaha Hi/Lo and Omaha 8 the same game?

Last edited:
Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basic rules for starting hands.

3 of the same suit usually should be avoided as it cuts into your flush possibility, though that doesn't mean fold every 3 suited one, holding suited cards can also act to stop someone else hitting their flush.

3 or 4 of a kind are utter trash don't bother with these

xxyy (2pairs) can be good but unless you hit your set are very weak and sets can be weak against draws

For Omaha you generally want 4 cards that are all connecting 6789 and then aim to hit the higher end of straights. If the flop comes out with 45x on it then you have so many cards that can make you the nut straight any 36789 and sometimes you can have a flush draw in there as well.

Generally the higher the cards the better as well, hitting the low end of a straight can be very expensive.

Double suited cards have their worth, you really want Aces suited or maybe kings anything lower you want the cards to make someone less likely to hit their higher flush, rather than you hitting yours and then losing with it.

Try and avoid playing cards that have one straggler in it KQJ6 for example, though its still somewhat playable from late position.

Also I did read somewhere that you should never raise from early position, just gives people in late position the chance to make an even bigger raise. Your either going to fold or if you play they are going to put you on a very good hand. This may not apply so much in low level games though.

For Omaha8 you want hands that can work for both the high and the low.

So again double suited cards with an A or K and at least 2 if not 3 low cards. Whilst cards 8 or lower apply for the low drawing to an 8 low is silly. So A234 are great, whilst 56 will hit the higher end of low straights that people are going to be drawing too.

I have managed to pick up a fair bit of money when me and my opponent both hit the wheel but I also had a 6. We both got all our money in and split with the nut low, then I took the high with my 6 high straight over his 5 high.

The Omaha games are more about playing the right hands preflop rather than postflop play, draw to the nuts and don't raise from the front.

I am no expert though, so I would recommend reading up on it more, still getting to grips with it myself. Good Luck ;]

Omaha8 and Omaha Hi/Lo are the same game, will also see it called Omaha8B for Omaha 8s or better. Its also the E in the HORSE mixed game iirc.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great info grumble; this'll help alot
thanks for goin through the trouble

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands