Noob question

H

HeckinPhysics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So now that I have a few quarters to rub together, I'm getting more interested in ring games. Really, the biggest problem I'm running into is I'll win a bit, then get overconfident. This really hampers how much I'm able to cash out when I leave at a gain at all. Is there some kind of trick for when to walk away?

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have learned when your hot recognize its the cards and not you because what goes up must go down

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try to use a solid bankroll management strategy. something like every time you double your money or buyin you walk away as soon as you see your last utg. Or every time the entire amount on the table is more than half or all of your bankroll you must get up and find a new table. Figure out what works for you, but try and exercise a great bankroll management strat!

H

HeckinPhysics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, I'll look into bankroll strategies. I like the 'leave at 2 buyins' idea. Now, to see if I can put it into practice...that's the trick. And frig, it IS the cards. I know this, but it's still easy to forget when excited. Good reminder.
PS: your doggo is adorable.

Aslachiewicz

Aslachiewicz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha TY so much!! Find some good bankroll management strategies and practice them. I always liked the double up rule when i am building a BR. Never playing in anything overly expensive for your BR etc. Slowly and patiently work your BR up. There will be many ups and downs. Continue grinding and slowly win those few dollars at a time until your BR is ready for the next stake... I would love to hear about some other BR management strats you have decided to try and implement... Or if you have other ideas or plans on how you will continue to grow ur BR... what are you currently playing?

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, leaving after you double your stacks is an excellent method. Its hard to do though because its always nice to sit at a table with a big stack. :rolleyes:

MaxMarauder

MaxMarauder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to think of it as a business investment. Some I will lose money on. So I have a set floor for my stack that if I go below that, I'll leave the table. If I double my investment, I'm done.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have the most chips as the table I tend to stay until everybody gets sick of me and the table breaks.

H

HeckinPhysics

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Right now, I'm mostly playing freerolls, $1 (or less) entry tournaments and 0.02/0.01 tables. Mostly I just play hold'em, but I'm getting more interested in Stud after playing some play money hands. The rules I'm trying to stick to are:
1. Join ring tables with max buy-in & avoid players with 2-3x buy-in
2. Leave when I'm up 100% or down 50%. Up to $4 or down to $1 at my current level
3. Switch to play money or freerolls after 23:00 local.
This last after falling for the double-or-nothing trap last night, adding loss on top of loss.
Hopefully, someday I'll get to your skill level, Rage!

J

Joey1998

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
create a ceiling and a basement, then a time allotment. Follow it. I have not lately and have gotten into bankroll trouble.
Jb

phantomjiujitsu

phantomjiujitsu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is some good advice in this thread. Does anyone know of any books or anything that detail bankroll management well?

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a similar problem. In fact, only the best players can cope with this. It is necessary to transcend through its essence, and this is very difficult. A person is so arranged that he thinks he can win forever and there will be no problems.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So now that I have a few quarters to rub together, I'm getting more interested in ring games. Really, the biggest problem I'm running into is I'll win a bit, then get overconfident. This really hampers how much I'm able to cash out when I leave at a gain at all. Is there some kind of trick for when to walk away?

Easy, either set stop loses and stop gains (amounts to win or lose which = time to quit)
Or set a limit on how many hands per session.

I seem to start losing focus around the 100 hand mark.

Y

Yoda_Priest_X_Napo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your goal should not be to walk away, it is better if you find the way to keep playing but not being affected from how much you lost or won, the hands you play have nothing to do with that after all.Just try to focus on making good decisions no matter how good or bad your session goes.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to look away from the money, and try to understand what you are doing correct when you win. Check the replays and try to get a understanding of how you play and how you win.

N

NBB

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually you issue is purely “Lack of Self Control” which no one in this life can help you with, without your help.
The only suggestion if I may, is to tell you to write out a physical PLAN on daily win/loss goals and keep it next to you when you play poker.
You decide just how much you are willing to accept as a profit, and how much you are willing to accept as a loss, then once you reach the actual range of the “win/loss” you fold up for the day.
But once again, this all depends on your ability to control your undisciplined tendencies.
Good luck just the same.