NLHE Micro stakes. Ahead at the turn

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking back at this, maybe I could have bet a larger amount on the turn? I checked the flop as OOP against the PF raiser, but should I have played it differently on the Turn? comments are welcome.
SB: 95.5 BB
Hero (BB): 87 BB
UTG: 116 BB
CO: 141 BB
BTN: 117 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J 7

fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (9 BB, 3 players) T K 6
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: (9 BB, 3 players) 5
SB checks, Hero bets 6 BB, CO raises to 16.5 BB, fold, Hero raises to 27 BB, CO calls 10.5 BB

River: (63 BB, 2 players) K
Hero bets 57 BB and is all-in, CO calls 57 BB

Hero shows J 7 (Flush, King High)
(Pre 48%, Flop 97%, Turn 77%)

CO shows 5♠ 5♥ (Full House, Fives full of Kings)
(Pre 52%, Flop 3%, Turn 23%)
CO wins 171 BB

Last edited:
J

Jarud

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a bit of a cooler, although it's worth noting that he didn't 3bet you on the turn so you can almost entirely exclude A high flushes from his range as it's obvious you want to play for stacks. Two pair, sets and alot of AK would of very likely bet this flop. From a value perspective hes really only repping 5s full.
Gross river tbh maybe you could of bet small or checked to him, finding a fold would be hard, do you have any HUD data on villian?

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking back at this, maybe I could have bet a larger amount on the turn? I checked the flop as OOP against the PF raiser, but should I have played it differently on the Turn? comments are welcome.
SB: 95.5 BB
Hero (BB): 87 BB
UTG: 116 BB
CO: 141 BB
BTN: 117 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J 7

fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (9 BB, 3 players) T K 6
SB checks, Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: (9 BB, 3 players) 5
SB checks, Hero bets 6 BB, CO raises to 16.5 BB, fold, Hero raises to 27 BB, CO calls 10.5 BB

River: (63 BB, 2 players) K
Hero bets 57 BB and is all-in, CO calls 57 BB

Hero shows J 7 (Flush, King High)
(Pre 48%, Flop 97%, Turn 77%)

CO shows 5♠ 5♥ (Full House, Fives full of Kings)
(Pre 52%, Flop 3%, Turn 23%)
CO wins 171 BB

Hand was wp but I'd push the turn here vs that raise. Also, I would suggest you play min 100bb deep to maximize your potential value.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should have been in the hand review section, but maybe a moderator can move it? :)

Preflop
Somewhat loose defend but ok at least its suited. Just want to point out, that the fact, SB has already called, should make us defend less. A lot of people get this wrong and think, its the other way around.

Flop
I do think, this would be a fine spot for a donk bet. You have more suited hands in your range than either opponent, so you have a nut advantage, which is generally what solvers will want to develop a leading range. On a more down to earth basis, in a multiway pot and on a monotone board the preflop raiser is probably going to do a lot of checking back, and this is an argument for leading. Your hand is sort of vulnerable, as you dont want the board to pair, and you certainly dont want to see another heart. Obviously if you dont lead / donk bet, then the plan is to get a check-raise in.

Turn
Definitely leading the turn, when the flop checks around, and definitely putting in a 3-bet when raised. I would go a bit larger though to set it up for an easier river jam. You could even just overbet jam now. If this was the low end of the micros, I kind of like that play. Some people will think, you are bluffing, and make a huge hero call with their two pair or whatever.

River
This is kind of a rough spot, especially when you made your turn 3-bet so small, because now there is a lot of stack left for river play. And before reacting in a spot like this its very important to think about his range. Two pair or sets would probably have bet the flop and so would flushes worse than the nut flush. All these hands are vulnerable to get outdrawn and strong enough to bet for value, so its very unlikely, they get checked behind. At the same time its also unlikely, that single pair hands are raising the turn, because thats absolutely an overplay and also just weird.

So his range is pretty narrow and polarized even before getting to the river. Its something like 55, K5 and nut flushes for value. And then some bluffs, most likely hands with the naked ace of hearts. 55 and K5 has now filled up, which mean, you only beat his bluffs. And for that reason the right play on the river is check and make a decision. If you think, he is full of sh....., then you can hero call. But honestly against a lot of straight forward micro players, this is going to be a check-fold. Especially when you left so much stack behind for river play.

Results
So he did in fact have 55, which makes a lot of sense, and obviously its a bit of a cooler and also a bad beat, given that you had 97% equity on the flop. But I do actually think, its possible to get away on the river, or at least going for a check-call rather than a jam. So for me the main thing to take away is to work on your hand reading skills especially on the river :)

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, everyone for the feedback - and apologies for posting this in the wrong area :) In answer to the Villains HUD, he was 33/33

S

SilverZander

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a bit of a cooler, although it's worth noting that he didn't 3bet you on the turn so you can almost entirely exclude A high flushes from his range as it's obvious you want to play for stacks. Two pair, sets and alot of AK would of very likely bet this flop. From a value perspective hes really only repping 5s full.
Gross river tbh maybe you could of bet small or checked to him, finding a fold would be hard, do you have any HUD data on villian?

Thanks for the feedback. His HUD was 33/33 at the time.