Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi all. I have been playing poker for about 18 years now. I have done well and have a lot of knowledge of the game and theory but only in tournament play. Over the last month and 1/2 i have been playing cash games with very mixed results. I keep on hearing from cash game players that the game is different from tournament play yet nobody has been able to explain what that is. Yes the blinds don't go up and you can but more chips if you get knocked out but could someone please explain what other differences there is in the games? I just cant figure it out.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you mentioned the blinds so it's truth. On tournaments you play more with shallow stuck. On cash games you play most of the time on 100bbs. In tournaments there are too many players and mostly on every table you meet players with who you never played before. On cash games most of the players know each other so they have more informations on you, you need to be more balanced to be not exploited so the games are harder.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Switching from tournaments to cash game

When switching from tournaments to cash game there are a lot of different nuances to keep in mind. I am not a cash game expert, but have mixed up my play between the two and here is what I have found that you need to consider in cash games more-so than in tournaments.

This first one I’m not including in the others because it is so extremely important. Unlike a tournament, you get to choose who you play against in cash games. If there is a certain type of player you don’t play against very well (maybe LAGers) and there are several of that type at your table then just get up and leave to find another table. You have the power to choose who you play against in cash game, find a table where the people playing are the types of people you are good at playing against.

• If you want a fair comparison of tournament play related to cash game play then think of cash game play like playing at a tournament’s final table where you get a certain amount of money which increases each time you knock someone out. A lot of how you play at a final can be used to play in a cash game. Not everything, but a lot.
  • Identifying the type of player becomes crucially important.
    • Some cash game players are more willing to chase and/or get involved with marginal holdings. They’ll do this simply because a hit or successful bluff means a lot of actual cash in their pocket as opposed to just tournament chips. It's not like they lose their cash game life so they are willing to get it in much easier than tournament players.
    • On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, the TAG players play TAG a lot more TAGgish. The blinds don't go up so they can sit and wait forever until they catch their perfect hand. And if you get caught playing against a TAGer in a cash game you can really lose your lunch money because you know they are only playing top premium hands.
  • Pushing people off their hands is much more difficult in cash games than in tournaments. Some players look at the size of your bet as "I could win that much money if I hit." Since you're dealing with cold, hard cash you get people more inclined to just gamble rather than play strong poker.
    • With that said, if you pick the right players you can bluff much more easily in cash games. You want to choose a spot where you are pretty sure the opponent has nothing or close to nothing and then hit them with a scary board bet. Just remember, you MUST tell a story with your bluffs. You can’t just bluff an Ace on the river if you haven’t been playing like you have an Ace all along.
    • The other way you can bluff is by making the opponent think you are intentionally trying to build the pot. It's risky because you run the chance of them drawing out on you, but if you can convince them you are trying to leach money off them you can get them to fold easier than in a tournament. The way you do this is by under-betting the pot maybe even only betting a few big blinds each street then big on the river.
  • Always remember, you're not playing for chips you're playing for cash. Winning a single hand means your opponents have put cash in their pocket. Losing the hand means you've taken money out of their pockets. You need to understand how that is psychologically different than a tournament where people are just trying to survive.
  • In cash games people are much more likely to try to push you off a pot with a shove. If you’re 3betting or multi-barrel bluffing know there is a very good chance they may shove at any given moment. Once again, because they can just buy back in.
  • You’ll face hands with multiple callers more often in cash games. Even when you put in a good sized raise or even 3bet preflop you need to know you may be playing against 3-5 players much more often than in tournaments.
  • The more players who call a raise, the more likely other players are to call the raise. While sometimes true in tournaments, this happens a lot in cash games.
  • Cash game players seem to have a different way of calculating if they want to call a large bet or even shove. There’s pot odds, of course, but there is also the pot size. If the pot is large enough, even if you overbet 2x the pot the opponent may call just because of how large the pot is even though they may not be getting pot odds.
    • When playing marginal holdings you do not want to build the pot, you want to play pot control with no bets or small bets when necessary. Again, if the pot gets too big you aren’t going to be able to push people off it.
  • You don’t necessarily want to play TAG all the time, you want to play the opposite of what most of the table is playing. If you’re at a table where everyone is playing TAG then you want to open up your starting ranges and limp when you do have marginal holdings.
  • Blind Stealing is less important in cash games. Remember, there are no ante’s so if you do blind steal then all your getting is 1.5 BBs. Not usually worth the risk. Now, that applies to true blind stealing where you don’t have a good hand. If you have the good hand then yeah, go ahead and do it.
  • People are more vindictive in cash game. Yes there is some of that in a tournament, but in a cash game they can afford it if you beat them again so they may go after your bets a lot more if they feel like you’ve sucked out on them or done them wrong somehow.
  • In long cash game sessions, table image can be more important because you play against the same people and don’t get moved to other tables. You just have to keep track of new players to the table who may not know what your table image is yet. But in general, you can make use of table image more so in cash games than in tournaments.
    • In cash games there are maneuvers you can take to disguise the type of player you are. For instance, if you’re a tight player then straddle when it’s your turn to do so. This makes people think you’re a “wild player” who just wants their chips in.
    • If you’re a loose player then fold small blinds and big blinds often if you don’t have hands. It’ll make people think you play a lot tighter than you really do.
That's about all I can think of regarding my own experiences (which are mostly micro stakes to $1/$2 stakes). If you do try to incorporate any of this into your cash game, let me know how it turns out. Learning from other people's experiences is much more valuable then just relying on your own.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
to me the difference between cash game and tournament is the money invested. Cause to enter a cash game money you risk losing your bank quickly because much used his bank depending on the value of the table you enter, far in the tournament you already comes with a set value knowing how you can win the tournament and losing only lose the one you used to sign up for tournament

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments have a winner, an end. Sometimes if you don't get lucky, your done. You need to be there for the duration.

You can leave a cash game anytime, your goal is a bigger bankroll.

I prefer SNG tournaments, but cash games are more convenient..

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
When switching from tournaments to cash game there are a lot of different nuances to keep in mind. I am not a cash game expert, but have mixed up my play between the two and here is what I have found that you need to consider in cash games more-so than in tournaments.

This first one I’m not including in the others because it is so extremely important. Unlike a tournament, you get to choose who you play against in cash games. If there is a certain type of player you don’t play against very well (maybe LAGers) and there are several of that type at your table then just get up and leave to find another table. You have the power to choose who you play against in cash game, find a table where the people playing are the types of people you are good at playing against.

• If you want a fair comparison of tournament play related to cash game play then think of cash game play like playing at a tournament’s final table where you get a certain amount of money which increases each time you knock someone out. A lot of how you play at a final can be used to play in a cash game. Not everything, but a lot.
  • Identifying the type of player becomes crucially important.
    • Some cash game players are more willing to chase and/or get involved with marginal holdings. They’ll do this simply because a hit or successful bluff means a lot of actual cash in their pocket as opposed to just tournament chips. It's not like they lose their cash game life so they are willing to get it in much easier than tournament players.
    • On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, the TAG players play TAG a lot more TAGgish. The blinds don't go up so they can sit and wait forever until they catch their perfect hand. And if you get caught playing against a TAGer in a cash game you can really lose your lunch money because you know they are only playing top premium hands.
  • Pushing people off their hands is much more difficult in cash games than in tournaments. Some players look at the size of your bet as "I could win that much money if I hit." Since you're dealing with cold, hard cash you get people more inclined to just gamble rather than play strong poker.
    • With that said, if you pick the right players you can bluff much more easily in cash games. You want to choose a spot where you are pretty sure the opponent has nothing or close to nothing and then hit them with a scary board bet. Just remember, you MUST tell a story with your bluffs. You can’t just bluff an Ace on the river if you haven’t been playing like you have an Ace all along.
    • The other way you can bluff is by making the opponent think you are intentionally trying to build the pot. It's risky because you run the chance of them drawing out on you, but if you can convince them you are trying to leach money off them you can get them to fold easier than in a tournament. The way you do this is by under-betting the pot maybe even only betting a few big blinds each street then big on the river.
  • Always remember, you're not playing for chips you're playing for cash. Winning a single hand means your opponents have put cash in their pocket. Losing the hand means you've taken money out of their pockets. You need to understand how that is psychologically different than a tournament where people are just trying to survive.
  • In cash games people are much more likely to try to push you off a pot with a shove. If you’re 3betting or multi-barrel bluffing know there is a very good chance they may shove at any given moment. Once again, because they can just buy back in.
  • You’ll face hands with multiple callers more often in cash games. Even when you put in a good sized raise or even 3bet preflop you need to know you may be playing against 3-5 players much more often than in tournaments.
  • The more players who call a raise, the more likely other players are to call the raise. While sometimes true in tournaments, this happens a lot in cash games.
  • Cash game players seem to have a different way of calculating if they want to call a large bet or even shove. There’s pot odds, of course, but there is also the pot size. If the pot is large enough, even if you overbet 2x the pot the opponent may call just because of how large the pot is even though they may not be getting pot odds.
    • When playing marginal holdings you do not want to build the pot, you want to play pot control with no bets or small bets when necessary. Again, if the pot gets too big you aren’t going to be able to push people off it.
  • You don’t necessarily want to play TAG all the time, you want to play the opposite of what most of the table is playing. If you’re at a table where everyone is playing TAG then you want to open up your starting ranges and limp when you do have marginal holdings.
  • Blind Stealing is less important in cash games. Remember, there are no ante’s so if you do blind steal then all your getting is 1.5 BBs. Not usually worth the risk. Now, that applies to true blind stealing where you don’t have a good hand. If you have the good hand then yeah, go ahead and do it.
  • People are more vindictive in cash game. Yes there is some of that in a tournament, but in a cash game they can afford it if you beat them again so they may go after your bets a lot more if they feel like you’ve sucked out on them or done them wrong somehow.
  • In long cash game sessions, table image can be more important because you play against the same people and don’t get moved to other tables. You just have to keep track of new players to the table who may not know what your table image is yet. But in general, you can make use of table image more so in cash games than in tournaments.
    • In cash games there are maneuvers you can take to disguise the type of player you are. For instance, if you’re a tight player then straddle when it’s your turn to do so. This makes people think you’re a “wild player” who just wants their chips in.
    • If you’re a loose player then fold small blinds and big blinds often if you don’t have hands. It’ll make people think you play a lot tighter than you really do.
That's about all I can think of regarding my own experiences (which are mostly micro stakes to $1/$2 stakes). If you do try to incorporate any of this into your cash game, let me know how it turns out. Learning from other people's experiences is much more valuable then just relying on your own.

Jonathan, this is a really great post. thank you so much for such detailed information. What you have said makes a lot of sense and i will apply this to my game. I will let you know how it turns out as i agree we learn also from other peoples experiences. Thank you again.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For live play, I taken a pure Tournament approach to the game. I have cashed 18% of the tournaments I have played, but the big money has been elusive. My main reason for sticking to tournaments is that I have a fixed amount of money that I can lose. This may sound pessimistic, but it is my way to keep it under control.

I have had others tell me that they like cash games better, because there is less "variance" in cash games. This isn't about variance in cards, as this is a constant, so it is about not being able to control when the cards come, relative to the BB size and your stack size at the time. The post above talks about this, maybe not in these terms, but if this is true, then this is the primary concept that needs to be accounted for in your strategy.

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash good post flop play.
Tournament good pre flop play.

A lot more all in before the flop in Tournaments that why u seem more unlucky or lucky at tournament

G

Gambit123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing tournaments and losing the difference between cash and tournament

Cash play to win money more 3 bet and bit more agresstive

Tournament play to survive be less agresstive . The blinds do the work for you play to survive not to get chips

Iwas playing like cash mentally and that was my down fall in tournament

T

thackro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I very much enjoyed reading Jonathan's post as well, a lot of great information. I think the best point made is that you can re-buy in a cash game, so it opens things up in many ways.

D

donkey2019

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think cash games is more like a game of chicken
you can have the worst cards but if you can make people think you have the best then even your tournament game will pick up.

its always nicer to play cashies because although the money can go faster it can also come faster and in a rapid sucession too i might add.
this is why i like 6+ holdem the odds of someone beating a decent starting hand is very low problem is in this game you need more patience than holdem itself because you never really know who has the toughest hand until that river finally reveals itself

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash you can take your winnings and run. People are playing with a wider range of hands in Cash because theres no fear of blinds increasing.

Tourneys , depending on what tourney you're actually playing. You have the overall fear of Increasing blinds , You have a bigger payout at the end but you're going through a field of players who you haven't been consistently sitting with for hours on end. Theres a bunch of variance with tourneys and if you're not on board to adapt to it they definitely aren't for you. Overall you have tighter field with Tourneys , Players are playing to get a stack that will last 4 hours not just trying to hit so they can walk out the next hand.

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash game is totally different than tourney game.
1) You can hold out for just the top hands to play and play just top EV hands
2) You can wait to play just in the best position if you want to
3) The blinds don't go up
4) You can rebuy when you go busto
5) You can leave the table at any time you want during the session without losing your buyin

Those are just some of the difference in the cash game from the tournament play there are probably more that I missed I just wanted to list a few that were easy to list and benefit the player big time.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournament play is more about survival until getting into money and then getting to final table then my strategy changes
I start conservatively then get more agressive stealing binds
In cash play I don’t worry about felting as much , I make more hero calls and bluff way more. It’s not as much of a grind. And in cash I can come and leave as I please.
In tournaments it like working the clock so have to be more patient

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience, tournaments will teach you patience, and cash games will teach you discipline.

F

Fonsecadale78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you need to ask that question I would go practice for free somewhere first

Real Money Poker - Real Money Casinos Top 10 Games