Moving Up Up and Above!

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing that has been bugging me a little lately thag should i move up the stakes!
I deposited like 300$ 5 months ago on my site and after grinding a lot (a lot really!)
At 1/2$ plaging Nl holdem and omaha hi/lo and playing some 50 and 100$ tourney my bankroll is at 22000$.
Now i have 110(100bigs) buy in for 1/2 and i was thinking about moving to 2/4 for which i have 55 buy ins.
But i am really tentative about it.
Should i move up or should i keep playing 1/2 and focus more on high buy in tourneys?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a shot you can do it good luck.:)

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2200 or 22000? I'm confused.

With only 2200, do not play. I repeat DO NOT play at the 2/4 level. Trust me on this one.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing that has been bugging me a little lately thag should i move up the stakes!
I deposited like 300$ 5 months ago on my site and after grinding a lot (a lot really!)
At 1/2$ plaging Nl holdem and omaha hi/lo and playing some 50 and 100$ tourney my bankroll is at 22000$.
Now i have 110(100bigs) buy in for 1/2 and i was thinking about moving to 2/4 for which i have 55 buy ins.
Should i move up or should i keep playing 1/2 and focus more on high buy in tourneys?

Didn't you make a post on this not too long ago?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Well regardless if you did or didn't I'll answer the same way I answered the other person that posted this same post. If you are beating 1-2 and apparently crushing it. I would take a portion of your roll and try the next stake up as a trial period. Use 10K and if you aren't seeing the same results drop back down and play the game you know you can beat. if you want to take shots at the tourney's then there is nothing wrong with that. They will be nice to play and can be a big score but you will probably drop some of your roll because you don't win these as often. So you use the profit from cash to supplement your roll during downswings in tournaments. If you can't beat the next level it's no big deal keep grinding 1-2 and studying and you will be crushing in no time. best of luck

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is EVIL if you dont lose your heavy flips the first ten sessions you might be good to go but those first few games can mean alot to your bankroll when moving up. But hey its your life wer'e not all grandmas sitting around knitting. lifes a gamble GL 2 U

H

Holy_Ghost

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep grinding

Remember on Rounders when Mike brought out 3 stacks of high society that he had grinded out for years and lost it all on one hand to kgb?

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember on Rounders when Mike brought out 3 stacks of high society that he had grinded out for years and lost it all on one hand to kgb?

LOL I love the reference but that would be equivalent to him taking his roll and trying to play NL 20,000. If he takes a shot at 400NL properly rolled it won't hurt him unless he goes on monkey tilt and spews 10-20 buy ins

seeyouthru

seeyouthru

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He had 1 buy in i have 55!

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to get up,but if you do not feel comfortable at the table, it means that you are still early!

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
seeyouthru, I'm sure you know a lot more about the game than you do, so I hope my "advice" is not too offending as I'm still at 25-50NL and for sure have not made 22k in half a year from poker.

On the other hand, I have a finance background and I used a couple of these techniques to manage my own bankroll e.g. using my games variance to decide when to move up and down in stakes.

It's a little dry and math heavy, but if you like, get a copy of "Mathematics of Money Management" by Ralph Vince. Risk of ruin as a function of variance, optimal f and stuff like that are all described here and it helps tremendously to make decisions and optimize geometric growth which basically is what's BR management is all about.

Good luck

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say, go matt damon style, find kgb, lose your entire roll, take out tons of loans. Challenge KGB to a rematch. Get your money back. Tweet your story. Let it go viral. Then, a month later, sign a contract with fox to sign off the rights for them to tell your poker story and make Rounders 2. Your now a millionaire.

Your welcome.