starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all

If I am planning on moving up from 4nl to 8nl how many tables should I be playing? I can 6 table currently.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stick with what is working for u which is 6

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
better to mix tables, you can play 4 table 4nl and 2 table 8nl, I think will be an ideal, then gradually you can add another table 8nl.

Last edited:
K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are successful at 6 table ,in my humble opinion if you jump the limit and raise the number of tables,this is recipe for disaster

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are successful at 6 table ,in my humble opinion if you jump the limit and raise the number of tables,this is recipe for disaster

I agree, hence I am thinking of less tables to start with rather than more lol. As the standard of play and money increase (slightly) I will need to watch the other players more closely and add to my notes rather than making default plays based on the level. I am thinking just 2 tables initially.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was thinking about 4 tables. Two 4nl and two 8nl. You will be concentrating more on the 8nl tables more until you get used to playing at that level. So I would work my way up to 4 tables 8nl and then go from there. GL to you

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The less table you play the more ROI you could expect imo.

Latamgrinder

Latamgrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all

If I am planning on moving up from 4nl to 8nl how many tables should I be playing? I can 6 table currently.
Nobody can answer this for you, either you or like a coach can determine that, just play as many tables as you can sustain your A-Game the most, for some is 4 tables, for the vast majority is 6, for others is 9, others seems to maximize their hourly by playing 9+ tables, for you? Nobody knows, if you currently play 4 tables and you´re winrate is above average, then yeah try adding 2 more tables and 10k hands and check your winrate and your game, if you´re not making many mistakes (you´re always going to make mistakes), your winrate is still above average and you´re maxing your hourly, then yeah keep playing 6 tables, 9 tables? just do the same.

ConDeck

ConDeck

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Disagree with those telling you to mix games. Playing 2 different stakes, particularly when not familiar adds in extra thought process's of its own that I would avoid when shot taking.

If you are comfortable playing 6 normal tables at your current level, I would recommend 2 or 3 for 1 or 2 session, at your regular time of play. This drop allows extra time for you to pay attention to the subtle changes but also to take note of regular's (you will spot these pretty quick) and player specific notes.

Simply increase this by a table at a time as you feel more comfortable until it is time to up another limit :D

JonnyW87

JonnyW87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I right in thinking you play on Sky Poker ?

If so you are not allowed to use a HUD are you, so maybe drop to 4 tables just for a couple of sessions while you find out who's who and take some notes.

I would imagine that you will already have notes on the better players from 4NL who have made the jump from 4 to 8NL like yourself.

To be honest I do not think the level of play will be much different at all so if you are still able to play 6 tables and take notes then do so.

One last thing I agree on sticking to one stake rather than mixing them.

GL anyway mate :)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all your input.

I do indeed play at Sky.

I did go for 2x8nl and 2x4nl, but I spent so much time watching the 8nl tables I decided it was not in by best interests to keep the 4nls running. So I am just 2 tabling until I am sufficiently confident to add more.

Last edited:
JonnyW87

JonnyW87

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you noticed much difference between the 2 stakes ? After looking at your other thread it is obvious that you beating 4NL consistently at a decent win rate over a proper sample of hands so I have no doubt that you will be able to do so at your new stakes.

If I was you I wouldn't even think too much in to what stakes you are playing and just class every game you play as BB's apposed to the actual amounts.

When I started out and moved from 4NL to 10NL I struggled mentally for a while for some reason thinking I had to play a different way now that I had moved up a limit.

I also tilted harder at 10NL for some reason, probably because I was used to having it all my own way at 4NL then when moving up I was getting in to a few more reg wars and getting challenged by the better players.

Even though I was still winning at the 10NL my win rate was not as high as it was at my last limit which also had some what of a mental effect on my game.

When I finally got round to thinking that no matter what stakes you play at it is still the same game. I managed to put the actual amount of the blinds out of my head and just class them as BB's.

I slowly managed to stop being so results orientated and stop being too concerned about my win rate and always checking my balance.

Since then when I focused on just playing the game and making what I believed to be correct decisions I have found it much more easy mentally for me.

Sorry if I have went a bit of track there mate, basically the point I was trying to get across is don't think too much in to it when you move up stakes. The game is still the same, fish will still be fish no matter what the stakes, and the reg's will just be players like yourself who have the skills and the bank roll to move up.

Try and avoid getting in to big pots with the reg's and just get in to good spots with the weaker players maybe squeezing lighter when you see a reg cold calling in position against a fishes open raise etc.

GL with your challenge and I will start following your other thread more closely :)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Glad to hear you are just playing 2 at 8nl for now.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jonny,

Top advice.

To answer your question, so far I have not noticed a great deal of difference between 4nl and 8nl, other than there are fewer games running. The regs are not a great deal better and the weaker players are pretty much the same.

I have been scanning the 20nl and 50nl tables, just to see what the action is like. I have seen a few old names from 4nl back in the day (perhaps a year or so back). The players that I used to be playing are now often crushing these games. And it looks like the money can add up quickly at small stakes (compared to the micros). Hopefully if I keep working on my game I can get there oneday.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres no doubt you will move up if your stubborn and read and learn and post hands

T

Tomasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play 4 tables actually limit + 2 new limit or mix 2+2 , collect info new limit trend + make note , observe behavior playerpool , calling ranges , agrression , showdowns

table selection is very important , you must search weak players

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just play 1 so you can focus on what your opponents are doing and think about your decisions

M

miley17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer sticking to one stake rather than mixing a couple of them...

K

Koksi

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if you have strategy to win the lower limit to use it on higher limit and see how you run.If its well you can add a table or two and then continie observe your game.GL!

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The number of tables depends on your experience and level of play

The number of tables depends on your experience and level of play. You need to play on several tables to increase your income. With the increase in the number of tables, your win rate will decrease, but the revenue will grow due to an increase in the $ / hour indicator. The more tables you play at the same time, the worse the level of the game will be. This is due to the fact that you will have less time to make a decision and also you will not be able to closely monitor the game of opponents.