Moving up to $25NL

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey - I'm moving up again - have gone through $10NL and and am now rolled for $25NL.

Any advice about this level from anyone currently playing here greatly appreciated!

This FR btw.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best of luck to you. Will look forward to the day you tell us you are moving up to $1000NL :)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which site is this grind taking place on?

Best of luck regardless! :)

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$25nl - is that 2c/5c ?

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck, hope i can get myself out of 10nl in a few months!

25nl = 10c/25c

X

Xeozim

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an aside, how do you guys decide which level you want to play, is it purely based on what you can afford, or do you factor in how good you estimate you are etc?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As an aside, how do you guys decide which level you want to play, is it purely based on what you can afford, or do you factor in how good you estimate you are etc?

It's player dependant. If you're a casual recreational player then some will play higher, some won't. If you're grinding your way up, like most are on here then they start "usually" at 2nl. I say usually, again it depends on what you can afford to play with and how good you are.

2nl is easier obviously but I don't think 25 is to much more difficult. If you think you can beat 25nl and are a competent and HAVE the BR then go for it.

Obviously if you're new to the game then start at 2nl, as you will only be throwing your money away quicker and a lot higher at 25nl.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO there's not that much difference between 2NL and 5NL so starting at 5NL is what I'd recommend - if you haven't played much online before I'd definitley recommend starting at 5 to 10NL even if it's only for a few weeks to get some experience, however good you think you are :)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO there's not that much difference between 2NL and 5NL so starting at 5NL is what I'd recommend - if you haven't played much online before I'd definitley recommend starting at 5 to 10NL even if it's only for a few weeks to get some experience, however good you think you are :)
I agree 100% that 2NL and 5NL are pretty much exactly the same, but the big thing here is the bankroll. Many people playing(not all, I know) at 2NL are there because they have a tiny bankroll or are just starting out. If you're not wanting to risk a lot while in the beginning stages of learning, then I would say go to 2NL, because your mistakes are going to cost you less than half the amount it would at 5NL. If you are competent(be honest with yourself and are willing to put a little bit more $$$ in to invest in poker, then I would say go ahead and play 5NL. The big thing is to be honest with yourself. If you can't beat 2NL, YOU WILL NOT be able to beat 5NL, or 10NL, or 25NL, etc...

I know a lot of that was off topic, so congrats on moving up pokerman, none of the above was directed at your move-up. Good luck at 25NL!

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% that 2NL and 5NL are pretty much exactly the same, but the big thing here is the bankroll. Many people playing(not all, I know) at 2NL are there because they have a tiny bankroll or are just starting out. If you're not wanting to risk a lot while in the beginning stages of learning, then I would say go to 2NL, because your mistakes are going to cost you less than half the amount it would at 5NL. If you are competent(be honest with yourself and are willing to put a little bit more $$$ in to invest in poker, then I would say go ahead and play 5NL. The big thing is to be honest with yourself. If you can't beat 2NL, YOU WILL NOT be able to beat 5NL, or 10NL, or 25NL, etc...

I know a lot of that was off topic, so congrats on moving up pokerman, none of the above was directed at your move-up. Good luck at 25NL!

This is very true. I played $2NL for two reasons:

1) Because I only deposited $10!
2) because as absoluthamm says my mistakes were cheap (and very, very frequent)

There isn't much difference between the two, but as stated, be honest with yourself and admit you can't beat a level (like I did here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/volunteers-required-181658/) and be prepared to learn. I'm by no means a great player (far from it) but I have studied like a demon, hassled the hell out of people here, posted hands, commented on hands and generally just been prepared to learn and listen.

Thanks for the congrats absoluthamm.

Cafeman

Cafeman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now this is encouraging. Well done mate, keep us posted on your progress.

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats great man, I would say that in general people stack off less, so you have to find edges in other ways then just getting stacks in (im sure you already do) people are generally 3betting wider as well, the average i see is about 7-9, so you will have to figure out how to cope with that.. GL man :)

M

MOZZLA415

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on moving up to $25nl!!!
i'm currently playing at $10 nl and was wondering what did you build your bankroll up to before transitioning to $25nl.
also, were you multi-tabling? and any other random bits of information that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goodluck on nl25 :)
I hope you beat that level as well as you beated the nl 10!!

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congrats on moving up to $25nl!!!
i'm currently playing at $10 nl and was wondering what did you build your bankroll up to before transitioning to $25nl.
also, were you multi-tabling? and any other random bits of information that you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Thanks mate. I've always moved up when I hit 30 buyins for that level - so $150 for $5NL, $300 for 10NL and $750 for $25NL.

I multitable. I have played as many as 12 but have found my sweet spot is around 6 tables so rarely play more than that - sometimes 9. What level are you at? More than happy to help you in anyway that I can. I wouldn't be here now were not for the help of this forum so happy to give back.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just read your other two threads. Can't believe you've gone from 2NL to 25NL so quick! Good job.

What would you say the main way you've improved your game is? Books, HH analysis or something else?

Also, I suggest as a momento you re-watch your 2NL video back and see how far you've come :)

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
damn i miss the days wen i used to play 25nl on pstars...twas the best of times and the worst of times lol...best of luck to you man, hope the cards treat you well

M

MOZZLA415

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks mate. I've always moved up when I hit 30 buyins for that level - so $150 for $5NL, $300 for 10NL and $750 for $25NL.

I multitable. I have played as many as 12 but have found my sweet spot is around 6 tables so rarely play more than that - sometimes 9. What level are you at? More than happy to help you in anyway that I can. I wouldn't be here now were not for the help of this forum so happy to give back.

i'm currently at $10nl. sometimes i would try $25nl but would more often than not end up a losing player. i'm slowly but steadily building up my bankroll. i can manage playing 3 tables at the moment and sometimes struggle if i move up to 4 tables.
did you ever play tables with antes and 250 big blind max buy-in or just stick to the normal 100 big blind max buy-in?
finally, when you moved up to $25nl, did you reduce the amount of tables or stuck with 6?

sorry if there's too many questions!

thanks!

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mozzla, is it just me or do you think the 10nl tables at stars have got worse since black friday? Was gonna play before but the only tables i can get on have 15% vpip and average stacks of 6 dollars.

M

MOZZLA415

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
although i'm from london, i'm currently in the U.S so i can't play until i get back into the U.K (3 days) so i'm afraid i wouldn't be able to tell you!
i'm itching to get back at the tables though.

do you mean worse as in harder to make money because 15% VPIP isn't too out of the ordinary in my opinion. correct me if i'm wrong though, not 100% on that statement

but if the average stack is 6 dollars then it does tend to indicate a high amount of donks out there.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Erm sorry i meant 15% of players seeing the flop, i think this is pretty low, certainly could get on looser tables before the shutdown. I dunno i just notice a hell of a lot more short stacks and theyre often the tight/nitty ones playing 12+ tables, I'll see how this month goes but peak times used to have a lot more juicy tables but now everything a bit meh. This is full ring tables im talking about, dunno how 6max has been affected