Moving From Micro to Low Stakes! (First Post!)

G

Gunnar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Using pokerstars for reference, where under $15 buy-ins and under $0.08 - $0.16 stakes constitute as "micro-stakes games", can anybody tell me:

Is there a hurdle between micro stakes and low stakes games similar to what I imagine is a much greater hurdle between low stakes and medium stakes games? I hear plenty about the latter, but not much about the former in terms of what calibre of players to expect.

I've been playing for about two months, I've fallen in love with the game and am studying it as extensively as I can, and micro stakes games have become a bit of a breeze. (And the bingo variance has become a bit tedious..)

I've doubled my initial bankroll of $25 in that time (not sure how good a rate that is) and I feel I'm ready for a challenge. Can anyone else remember this point in their poker ventures?

P.s for the first time, hello CardsChat!

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Welcome to Cardschat Gunnar! :wavey: Wishing u all the luck,,,

Talalaew

Talalaew

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing on micro, having typed (tripled) a bankroll, I switched to medium ones and merged everything ....
Then he started again on micro and continue to this day. It’s enough for me, maybe I’m not up to the biger limits.

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in a nut shell, the higher up you go... the more SLIGHTLY fine tuned players are.

They are pretty much the same, just a little bit more aggressive, a little bit more cunning and a little bit less spewy.

Why not load up a zoom poker table and observe players at these low stakes limits? Watch them and see for yourself!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually for tournaments PokerStars already classify 5,5$ buyin as "low stakes", while for cash games "micro stakes" goes up to 16NL.
And yes I think, there is a fairly noticeable jump from 16NL to 25NL cash games on PokerStars, which the latter seeing significantly less "fish" and more full or part time professional players.

16NL is actually fairly soft sometimes at least at full ring, which I have mostly played. But 25NL definitely not so much. Actually this is, what let me to open an account on a different poker site 8 month ago. As for MTTs there is not really a significant difference between a 4,4 or 5,5$ MTT, which would also be strange. But when you get to buyins of around 10$, the amount of recreational players does once again drop, and the regulars become better on average.

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it all depends on the Bankroll.
Cash game for example:
Set a Limit of minimal rebuys you still want to have. Like lets say 10 times 2NL so 20 bucks. now you win and go to lets say 30 bucks. You can invest 10 bucks in 5NL if you keep winning and go to 10 times 5 plus 10 times two you can go to the next Limit. If for some reason you start losing you just go back one Limit whenever you dont have your minimal Rebuys left.

That Way you can always play, always improve, always win and never risk too much of your Bankroll to not be able to come back.

I hope you can understand what I wnat to say.