• Thread starter TheCourtesyFlush
  • Start date
T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all. I'm posting a hand here instead of the hand review forum because I'm not actually looking for a review of the hand. This was a hand I played a few months ago, just a couple weeks after I started playing/reading about poker, and it's bad.

What I'm looking for is a review of my hand review. I'm trying to create a plan for each type of hand in each situation, then to get it to stick in my head, I'm doing hand reviews based on those plans. I'm primarily focused on post-flop, so that's all these reviews cover.

Sorry, I'm apparently incapable of writing short posts. I've mentioned it before, but I will here again. I'm autistic. It seems in reading forums on several different sites, a common answer to all microstakes questions is "You don't need to know that, just play tight and aggressive." I mention the autism because I don't learn that way, I need structure to learn things. Once I understand the basic structure of my lines and can create a postflop plan, I can learn to adjust it. So, here goes.

WPN, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

SB: $6.87 (137.4 bb)
BB: $4.93 (98.6 bb)
UTG: $5 (100 bb)
Hero (MP): $5.15 (103 bb)
CO: $6.96 (139.2 bb)
BTN: $1.93 (38.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A Q
UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.15, 3 folds, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 4 A 8 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.32) 6 (2 players)
BB bets $0.23, Hero calls $0.23

River: ($0.78) 9 (2 players)
BB bets $0.37, Hero raises to $1.11, BB calls $0.74

Results:[spoil] $3.00 pot ($0.15 rake)
Final Board: 4 A 8 6 9
BB mucked and lost (-$1.49 net)
Hero showed A Q and won $2.85 ($1.36 net)
[/spoil]

Review:
Flop
Status: IP vs 1 SLP (28/0/1.3), 100bb Eff. St, SPR-16, TPGK on a dry board.
Goal: Either way ahead or way behind, so play in a way where it doesn't matter.
Summary: Villain checks, should C-bet 100% of time vs. a passive player.
Error: Missed c-bet

Turn
Summary: Villain bets 75% pot, I call 2-1 pot odds w/ TPTK, straight draws now available.
Errors: I'm in this situation because of the poor play on the flop, but now I think calling is the best play. Villain is passive yet their betting the turn, they've most likely got a made hand, most likely TPGK+, or TPWK with a straight draw.

River:
Summary: A passive opponent betting the river is not bluffing, and I've got a medium strength hand (TPGK) against a board with straight draws.
Errors: Should have just called here, the raise is a bad idea against a passive player who has bet on the river.

Are there other things I should add? Does this sound like a decent way to learn some default lines, that I can later learn to adjust from a TAG baseline?

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the length. My next post will only have one word in it, to make up for this one. :)

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think It's ok to work like that but I don't think you need a summary and errors. You already know what you did by looking at hand history. You could just simplify it to just Flop, turn and river and don't waste to much time to be so detailed. It would look like that:

Flop: I should cbet it 2/3. Big Blind has many worst hands, every Ax, many 8x, few 4x and Im ahead vs his range. Just focus more on ranges

Turn: as played its definitely a call. Villain can bet many air hands vs missed cbet, and still have worst combinations of Ax, 8x etc.

River: as played it's x/c. Good price, I need to be good in 25%. Now you should go to use some for example equilab, and look with what hands villain could bet it. You should always have here more than 25%. You can raise this hand if you have more than 50%, but if you don't you just change it to the bluff.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I salute your fine efforts TheCourtesyFlush, surely you advance in speed of light with that kind of work ethics.

I do agree with Misaki that ranges are important, so I would do range analysis in selected spots, and I would select the spots to be somewhat easy at first. Also already you could start working with combo counting in certain spots, bluffing or/and value betting on river comes to mind.

“You can raise this hand if you have more than 50%, but if you don't you just change it to the bluff.” I believe this goes: If you have more than 50% against his calling range and even then 58% sounds better.

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all very much, this helps a lot. I do need to list the errors, my short term memory sucks, but if I write the same error down 4-5 times, it'll stick.

As for the equity stuff, I'm currently working through Poker Workbook for Math Geeks. The next book on my list is How to Read Hands in No Limit Holdem by Ed Miller. It sounds like I'm finally heading in the right direction.

Plus, I just had my first profitable week since I started 4-5 months ago. I'm not celebrating though until I hit a profitable month.

Thanks again!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands