Micro stakes - dealing with "call everything" players

C

chongmet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
I am a beginner. However, I have some knowledge about the game.
This question is about micro stakes and very beginner players:

How should I deal with players in micro stakes (0.02/0.05) that "dont know how to play poker" and they call every bet?
1) I had this hand K9s (of spades). I raised preflop. He called with 77.
2) Flop is 8d,10c,Qc and I have a straight draw. and there is a flush draw on the table.
3) I bet 33% of pot he calls.
4) Turn is another 10. he checks I bet 75% of pot. He calls
5) River is Ac (3 clubs on the table). I all-in. he calls.

He wins. But seriously, should have I played it differently?
How can he calls everything with only 77?

Not sure if this happens regularly in higher stakes...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against calling stations you should bet more for value and never run a big multistreet bluff. You should also do a lot of "one-and-done" C-betting on the flop, which this hand is a perfect example of. I like the flop C-bet, but the size is to small. You should bet at least half pot against someone like this.

A lot of the time he has missed, and he will then usually fold on the flop, if you size better. But when he gives action, you have to check back turn and then give up on the river, if you still have nothing. In this hand it would probably have gone check-check on the river, and then he wins a small pot at showdown. Which is completely fine.

C

chongmet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Against calling stations you should bet more for value and never run a big multistreet bluff. You should also do a lot of "one-and-done" C-betting on the flop, which this hand is a perfect example of. I like the flop C-bet, but the size is to small. You should bet at least half pot against someone like this.

A lot of the time he has missed, and he will then usually fold on the flop, if you size better. But when he gives action, you have to check back turn and then give up on the river, if you still have nothing. In this hand it would probably have gone check-check on the river, and then he wins a small pot at showdown. Which is completely fine.

Thanks for the advice! Great for the case he fold after the big C-bet, and for the case he calls it but we check-check the turn.

However, what about the cases where I talk first in the turn? Like in this case - after betting the flop and he called, I act first again.
So should I check and hope for him to check? (he might bluff-bet).. should I bet large to "scare him" again? Or just small bet in case he calls again

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Out of position I will sometimes bet with a drawing hand as a kind of blocker bet. The logic being, that if I am going to check-call, then I might as well bet myself and get at least some folds. With this hand however and on this particular card I would check. You only have a gutshot, and turn cards that pair the board with second or third pair are bad for barreling, since its more likely, they hit him rather than you.

Also draws weaken on a paired board, since the opponent could now already have a full house. Or make it on the river, when you make a straight or flush. As would be the case, if he has JT or JJ in this situation. So in this particular spot, if I am out of position, I check the turn and hope, he check back. And if he makes a substantial bet, I fold.

C

chongmet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of position I will sometimes bet with a drawing hand as a kind of blocker bet. The logic being, that if I am going to check-call, then I might as well bet myself and get at least some folds. With this hand however and on this particular card I would check. You only have a gutshot, and turn cards that pair the board with second or third pair are bad for barreling, since its more likely, they hit him rather than you.

Also draws weaken on a paired board, since the opponent could now already have a full house. Or make it on the river, when you make a straight or flush. As would be the case, if he has JT or JJ in this situation. So in this particular spot, if I am out of position, I check the turn and hope, he check back. And if he makes a substantial bet, I fold.

Thanks a lot for this. Very helpful.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself playing tighter with less hands for the most part. But when it does come to making a pretty good hand, bet for value so you can slowly chip away and eventually get in that position where they overplay and you can take their whole stack.

J

jmg199

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stupid calls are both a blessing and a curse.
The trouble is that too often people seem to fold when you really do have the best cards but a win is a win.
At micro stakes I've gotten to where I just follow the action and tend to call more than I bet unless I get a great hand like 3 of a kind, flush, or a straight then I get more aggressive

NauGad

NauGad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

It just pisses me off that in the initial stages, freeroll players often move all the chips to the center of the table with their middle hand. So I want to shout to such a person, how do you know what the board will bring, you idiot ???