Mental game of Poker

H

Hd690

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to prepare mentally during online.
I always make small deposit like 4-5K INR. I play few small tournament and reached at 15-20k like 5 times. But after that I always lost all the money in cash games in one night.
How can I stop myself from doing Same things again and again??

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you understand that you lose in cash games, then everything is very simple. Do not play cash games. I also always lost in cash games. So now I play only in tournaments.

H

Hd690

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you understand that you lose in cash games, then everything is very simple. Do not play cash games. I also always lost in cash games. So now I play only in tournaments.
I also try to stop cash but whenever I am deep in a tournament and couldn't make more money I switched to cash.

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need discipline, no other way

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 options

1. learn to stick to the games you are already profitable at !

2. Move down in stakes and learn to beat the cash games and not tilt stacks away, then you can play both !

Either or but, both will take mental discipline ! Google Jared Tendler, if you need some work on the mental side

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah when you play Cash, I think everyone needs to start at the lowest limit. Even if you have a lot of money and can afford the higher limits. There's no point in being there if you can't beat the microstakes. The best way to prepare mentally is to know your game inside out. And that starts at the micros. Good luck.

R

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're winning money playing tournaments , and losing while playing cash (like most of us!) , then you simply need to focus on 1st lol
Its not easy and it takes time , but you should channel your boredom into watching your opponents and style they play ...not by changing the game ... and have proper bankroll for either tourneys/cash u choose to play ... else you'll lose it every time and keep depositing ;) like us all lol

GL

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very important not to rush and take time until the moment your hand is a favorite, if you are too bored to watch, try to use the markers for the players, it will give you the opportunity to watch the game and at the same time will be more interesting than just looking at the screen.

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, as others have suggested - if you can't play cash games then don't. Sounds to me like you're tilting too easily and definitely playing at stakes too high for you: if you are playing just for fun then never play more than 10% of your bankroll at any time, if you're playing a bit more seriously then never play more than 5%, and if you're really trying to make money then you should be keeping it down to 1-3%.

onione6ix

onione6ix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think variances in results over the long run are way more broad in the playing tournaments. That said if your bleeding cash in ring games. Start playing tournaments . and play on a fixed limit per session. This should at least slow down the blood flow.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 options

1. learn to stick to the games you are already profitable at !

2. Move down in stakes and learn to beat the cash games and not tilt stacks away, then you can play both !

Either or but, both will take mental discipline ! Google Jared Tendler, if you need some work on the mental side

Loved your response. Jared has some tutorial on Youtube as well.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you're profiting at tourneys and losing at Cash games you know what you have to do, if you want to play something different maybe you should try K.O tourneys they can be fun and you won't need to get into the ITM to get some of it. Regard cash games you have to stop it while you're on the top, cause varience is going knock your door and cut away all your profit/bankroll, i used to have the same problem i always doubled my stack to some minutes later loose everything.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the time I watch poker-related videos to motivate and prepare myself mentally.I also like smoking a little to relax.I am in the same case every time I ride a large banckroll.je lose all the cash game.La plupard temp is because I do not play as it should be. But good, as long as we learn from his mistakes and avoid repeating them. This should allow you to start making big winnings again and to continue to improve your level of play.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is very clear that you need to self-discipline ... if you are losing all the time at the cash tables ... then then do not play my friend ... now well if you like the excitement of playing at the cash tables then study and prepare well before playing cash ..!

E

eutot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash games have an entirely different dynamic than MTTs. Cash players are usually more sophisticated and you need to adapt accordingly. If you are doing well in tournaments stick with that until you make a big enough bankroll and then start playing cash at lower stakes then slowly you move up on bigger ones.

Tip: microstakes are gambler's paradise, so be careful.

prozitu

prozitu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you miss the night, play during the day, because the tiredness unbalances the mind. Take the night off just to sleep

copycutpaste

copycutpaste

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cash games and tourneys or sngs play a lot differently...if you are losing in cash games maybe study up a bit or use a HUD...I only play tourneys and sngs because I win more doing that.

There is a lot of mental issues that can make you lose more...like going on tilt or moving up in stakes to recoup losses.

Hope my reply helps...

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The mental part in poker plays a fundamental role in any poker player. I am not a poker pro but, my recommendation is that you should play the type of game where you feel most comfortable, in my case the sit n go and the tournaments are my favorite, I have never had good experiences in cash tables .

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friend, what you need to create is responsibility and shame in the face. I believe that when we have goals in our lives, and we know how difficult it was to reach the level we reach, we do not waste resources for nothing. What you are telling me is that you sweated to win in tournaments or other mode and practically made donations of money in the cash game. Either you left a mode that was winning and went to waste your money on one that was losing. I wish you had fallen on my desk if I were a cash player

H

horseshoebhole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Write it down

How to prepare mentally during online.
I always make small deposit like 4-5K INR. I play few small tournament and reached at 15-20k like 5 times. But after that I always lost all the money in cash games in one night.
How can I stop myself from doing Same things again and again??

Hey man - First and foremost that seems insane that you're depositing 4-5K. Good for you. Also - what does INR stand for? Congratulations also on apparently quadrupling your bankroll after a few small tournaments. I dont know how far you have that horseshoe shoved up your butt- but i'm gonna pretend like all of this is serious :p

So you're admitting that you lost all your money in cash games in one night. My first thought would be just to remind yourself that youre going to lose 20k in a night in cash games?? Seems pretty straight forward. I just quit dipping tobacco after 6 years because my doctor told me " its bad for you ".

So pretend im your money doctor. STOP PLAYING CASH GAMES. It's bad for you.

Nah but seriously try putting sticky notes on the corner of your computer or wherever your play space is. Just write NO CASH GAMES in red marker or something. I dont know man perhaps you should just call that 1-800-NoGambling number :p

Good luck moving forward friend

Travis
BCP - horseshoebhole

Top 10 Games