Lost 25 buy ins in couple of hours

I

IgorV7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I just lost 25 buy in at 2nl holdem. Actually more because I started a day with a profit. Ever happened to you? Do you think it's variance or I'm really that bad?

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost 25 buy ins

If you are losing that much you might wanna stop around 10 buy ins. But hey. Its your money do what you want.

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
holly molly don't think i ran that bad, so now i will thank poker variance if i lost just 5-10 buy ins

no worries keep your head up and keep grinding

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
which hands do you lose and how did you played them?.. i think maybe you are running really bad and thats just pure bad luck.

D

DaMooca

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And how can you lose so many buy-ins in the same session and keep playing ?? I've already played cash and when it happened to lose a buy-in I was already upset. :D

But anyone who is a regular in cash says it is easy to beat the micros. To lose 25 buy-ins you are either in a tremendous downswing or doing something very wrong.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would suggest setting up some rules for yourself.

For example in cash games I have a rule where is I lose 3 buyin then I am done for the day. Not sure but this is part of bankroll management.

A lot of players especially newer players get into that frame of mind where they try to win the money back and they dig themeselves a bigger hole and the harder they try the deeper the hole gets. Setting up a bankroll management plan and actually following it prevents it.

I know it sucks losing that much but the goal is to stop the faucet before it is too late.

Its been years since I hit my limit but last night it happened to me where I lost 3 buy in on a .02/.05

I was getting frustrated on the cards I was receiving seemed like the system liked giving me 72o. I did get some premium hands at one point but my normal 3x bet and the whole table folds. Later on I got 10 10 so I tried limping and the table folded. Missed the flop but made a 3x bet on the flop and the bb folded.

Seemed like nothing I did was really working so I started playing cards I would never play and it didnt end well.

M

Milez1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank god i dont play cash game, this can happen easy if you have a awesome hand but your opponent has the nuts

P

pontvadasz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No statistics can be generated from a one-time 25 buy-in losses.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Afternoon

Yesterday friend yesterday I lost 30 dollars in the 3 $ and 5 $ KO's and I was trying to recover the damage and was only more in the damage ..... I think I was not psychologically well to play;:confused::(

Y

Yontox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow sorry for your loss. Luckily it was only 2nl. Imagine grinding 10 buyins at 100NL..

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it is a one time thing, than it is probably just variance. I have not lost a bunch of my bankroll for a really long time. When I get the feeling like it is not my day, I just do something else.

M

MakTrue

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just lost 25 buy in at 2nl holdem. Actually more because I started a day with a profit. Ever happened to you? Do you think it's variance or I'm really that bad?

Good evening! I think everyone has downstrokes, unless of course you shove any two preflop :D:D:D Take a break for now, rest)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Apparently it all depends on your bankroll. Although I prefer tournaments, I'm used to my bankroll being at least 250-300 buy-ins. Only then do I feel comfortable.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

It is impossible to know without seeing the hands and how they were played.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can I guess? These were not usual tables but zoom ones, aren't they? :D:D It's way harder to lose that much by playing usual tables even if you play 6+ tables in a time, I'd say. But of cause I don't know enough about your play.

Well, regarding your subject. If you know you can lose that much in just one session then you really need to read for a while 'bout bankroll management. You better set 'stop loss', it would help you. For example, try to stop playing for several hours and take a little break if you notice you have already lost more than 5 cash tables' buy-ins. No point in tilting futher, in trying to get even, in being angry or whatever. Tap the sitout button at all tables you play, take a deep breath, make yourself some coffee/tea/whatever you prefer, and STOP playing for a while. Better do something else. There are always tables online awaiting you, you know. But play at them when you feel good.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a small sample to draw conclusions. But I think it won't hurt to work on the game and analyze this session.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Can I guess? These were not usual tables but zoom ones, aren't they? :D:D It's way harder to lose that much by playing usual tables even if you play 6+ tables in a time, I'd say. But of cause I don't know enough about your play.

Well, regarding your subject. If you know you can lose that much in just one session then you really need to read for a while 'bout bankroll management. You better set 'stop loss', it would help you. For example, try to stop playing for several hours and take a little break if you notice you have already lost more than 5 cash tables' buy-ins. No point in tilting futher, in trying to get even, in being angry or whatever. Tap the sitout button at all tables you play, take a deep breath, make yourself some coffee/tea/whatever you prefer, and STOP playing for a while. Better do something else. There are always tables online awaiting you, you know. But play at them when you feel good.

This is good advice 'IF' the losses were due to Tilt. We have no information from the initial poster suggesting it was Tilt... or chasing losses, etc. etc.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yesterday friend yesterday I lost 30 dollars in the 3 $ and 5 $ KO's and I was trying to recover the damage and was only more in the damage ..... I think I was not psychologically well to play;:confused::(
Sure you were not ps well at that moment

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you lost 25 buy ins in 2 hours, that is not just run-bad. It is tilting.Playing badly. You are not taking it seriously. And in the purgatory that is 1/2, i can't blame you.

if you have $50 that you can piss away in 2 hours, i would suggest that you move up to stakes that are more meaningful for you...stakes that will make you play better...take it more seriously.

2/5 nhle is also not a good place to be...purgatory with bells.

move up to 5/10...you will get a better game there...and you might take it more seriously.

and don't play zoom tables...they are bad for you...bad for your game...bad for your roll....but it is only good for pokerstars who make a lot more rake...

gl :)

leifen

leifen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Are you in a bad run, the worst thing you can do is try to win it back by playing aggresive.. cool down, take a break and start with the basic play again.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you lost 25 buy ins in 2 hours, that is not just run-bad. It is tilting.Playing badly. You are not taking it seriously. And in the purgatory that is 1/2, i can't blame you.

if you have $50 that you can piss away in 2 hours, i would suggest that you move up to stakes that are more meaningful for you...stakes that will make you play better...take it more seriously.

2/5 nhle is also not a good place to be...purgatory with bells.

move up to 5/10...you will get a better game there...and you might take it more seriously.

and don't play zoom tables...they are bad for you...bad for your game...bad for your roll....but it is only good for pokerstars who make a lot more rake...

gl :)

I must vehemently disagree. If one cannot play a lower stake and win, saying to play higher stakes is just...

Oh wait.. YOU play those stakes you are suggesting he play at, dont you?;)

monkey23

monkey23

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I must vehemently disagree. If one cannot play a lower stake and win, saying to play higher stakes is just...

Oh wait.. YOU play those stakes you are suggesting he play at, dont you?;)

i totally respect your right to vehemently disagree.,,,yup.

1/2 and 2/5 nlhe on stars is not poker imo...it is a luckfest...at 5/10 the quality of play becomes better...and is actually poker.

I play 5/10 on stars because as a non depositor, i was lucky enough to donk my way to a $15 2nd place in a cc froll...from there i won a $1 mtt to take my roll into 3 figures. I play there only to maintain a roll to teach my young son. I wouldnt wish to teach him at 1/2 or 2/5 level.

I fully understand why people with a micro roll under $50 play the purgatory that is 1/2 and with a roll under $100 play 2/5. For a winning player, it is good brm..

But if one can beat 1/2 and 2/5, one should be able to hold one's own at 5/10. One only gets better by playing people better than onesself. I learnt this the hard way...but a good education in any discipline is not free...it costs money.

The OP states that they lost $50 in a 2 hour session playing 1/2...imo, if the player has $50 to lose in 2 hours, then that $50 would have been better invested as 5 buyins at 5/10 level....playing just one table.

"Oh wait.. YOU play those stakes you are suggesting he play at, dont you?" I have absolutely no idea what this implies.

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i totally respect your right to vehemently disagree.,,,yup.

1/2 and 2/5 nlhe on stars is not poker imo...it is a luckfest...at 5/10 the quality of play becomes better...and is actually poker.

I play 5/10 on stars because as a non depositor, i was lucky enough to donk my way to a $15 2nd place in a cc froll...from there i won a $1 mtt to take my roll into 3 figures. I play there only to maintain a roll to teach my young son. I wouldnt wish to teach him at 1/2 or 2/5 level.

I fully understand why people with a micro roll under $50 play the purgatory that is 1/2 and with a roll under $100 play 2/5. For a winning player, it is good brm..

But if one can beat 1/2 and 2/5, one should be able to hold one's own at 5/10. One only gets better by playing people better than onesself. I learnt this the hard way...but a good education in any discipline is not free...it costs money.

The OP states that they lost $50 in a 2 hour session playing 1/2...imo, if the player has $50 to lose in 2 hours, then that $50 would have been better invested as 5 buyins at 5/10 level....playing just one table.

"Oh wait.. YOU play those stakes you are suggesting he play at, dont you?" I have absolutely no idea what this implies.

Actually, there is a lot I dont know that I would need to know before I say this

Like: Is this a downswing from another otherwise winning and good player, then, yes, I agree with you.

If this player is a losing player anyway at the absolute micros, then there are strategies to play that pretty much guarantee you a break-even endgame at worst.

You need to be able to spot the bad players and exploit their maniacal tendencies. The swings from maniacs suck, but if you cant read these bad players, and also know when to, for example, fold... then how will you be able to know what to do against a player that thinks?

If you cannot do this, you have no business at higher stakes IMHO.