Live Read?

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing at a 1/2 game last night and was wondering about my play in this hand.

4 Limps to me on the big blind 200 effective, I raise to 10 owith aces. [My sizing is small because they have been playing timidly and I dont want it to fold around.]

Middle position acts strangely, difficult to describe, but I felt like he wanted to 3-bet and decided just to flat. Something about the way he acted and played made me think he had kings and only kings.

Flop is Q 4 9 rainbow.

Because I was fairly certain he only had kings here, I decided to check for deception, assuming he would bet for value and confirm my read if I was right. He makes almost a pot size bet of 25, I call with the intention to snap shove any turn card aside from a K or A, for value and to prevent action killing cards from losing me money.

Turn is 9. About 70-80 in the pot. We have about 120 behind. I calmly announced allin almost before the turn card hit the table.

He goes into the tank.

Anyway, he tanks, calls, rolls over kings, im good and river is clean for a double up.

Im not sure what my question is, nor am I sure if it was a good read or very VERY lucky. I guess I just wanted to see if you guys think live reads can be that reliable in soft games? What do you think about the shove? I think specifically kings are the ONLY hand that might be worse that calls there. Obviously a cooler but did I play this hand well long term?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing at a 1/2 game last night and was wondering about my play in this hand.

4 Limps to me on the big blind 200 effective, I raise to 10 owith aces. [My sizing is small because they have been playing timidly and I dont want it to fold around.]

Middle position acts strangely, difficult to describe, but I felt like he wanted to 3-bet and decided just to flat. Something about the way he acted and played made me think he had kings and only kings.

Flop is Q 4 9 rainbow.

Because I was fairly certain he only had kings here, I decided to check for deception, assuming he would bet for value and confirm my read if I was right. He makes almost a pot size bet of 25, I call with the intention to snap shove any turn card aside from a K or A, for value and to prevent action killing cards from losing me money.

Turn is 9. About 70-80 in the pot. We have about 120 behind. I calmly announced allin almost before the turn card hit the table.

He goes into the tank.

Anyway, he tanks, calls, rolls over kings, im good and river is clean for a double up.

Im not sure what my question is, nor am I sure if it was a good read or very VERY lucky. I guess I just wanted to see if you guys think live reads can be that reliable in soft games? What do you think about the shove? I think specifically kings are the ONLY hand that might be worse that calls there. Obviously a cooler but did I play this hand well long term?
Id go much larger pre in any 1-2 game, at least 15 pre, maybe bigger in some games.

If you are confident hes trapping KK i dont mind checking flop, but then I would chk/raise and try to get stacks in!

Dont want a scary card to hit, and no1 folds overpairs in 1-2!

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id go much larger pre in any 1-2 game, at least 15 pre, maybe bigger in some games.

If you are confident hes trapping KK i dont mind checking flop, but then I would chk/raise and try to get stacks in!

Dont want a scary card to hit, and no1 folds overpairs in 1-2!

Yeah, normally I would go at least 15 here, but the table was playing the limping game so I wanted it to make it more appetizing for someone to at least see a flop.

I felt like a check raise would polarize me to aces and sets in his mind and I wanted the line to look a little stranger so he didnt make a hero fold.

The river did come a queen putting 2 pair on board lol, if the money didnt go in by the turn probably would have lost 120 in value.

Organize a Home Poker Game