Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

So, I've read in some poker books (can't remember exactly which ones; they were read awhile ago) that leaving a poker table when you've made a profit is illogical. Meaning, if you're in a game that is "profitable" for you because of the fish/skill level of your opponents vs. your own, then leaving just because you've made some money is a bad habit....you should stay in, even if you lose some of it to suck-outs, etc.

I do realize that you should leave the table if you're feeling tired, it's the end of your session, not feeling good, maybe going on tilt, etc.

In the online world, I see a lot of players jump into a table, play a few hands and make some money, then immediately leave the table. When I play online, I commit to a session while setting a stop/loss limit (for me, it's two buy-ins). So, even if I'm making money, I play out to the end of my session regardless (unless one of the above applies).

What are your thoughts? If I sit down to a 1.5 hour session and make a decent profit in the first 30 minutes, should I just leave the table or should I keep playing?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone!

So, I've read in some poker books (can't remember exactly which ones; they were read awhile ago) that leaving a poker table when you've made a profit is illogical. Meaning, if you're in a game that is "profitable" for you because of the fish/skill level of your opponents vs. your own, then leaving just because you've made some money is a bad habit....you should stay in, even if you lose some of it to suck-outs, etc.

I do realize that you should leave the table if you're feeling tired, it's the end of your session, not feeling good, maybe going on tilt, etc.

In the online world, I see a lot of players jump into a table, play a few hands and make some money, then immediately leave the table. When I play online, I commit to a session while setting a stop/loss limit (for me, it's two buy-ins). So, even if I'm making money, I play out to the end of my session regardless (unless one of the above applies).

What are your thoughts? If I sit down to a 1.5 hour session and make a decent profit in the first 30 minutes, should I just leave the table or should I keep playing?

Thank U 4 Posting

As with everything this depends on your goals. What is your goal to make money or to compete?

If the table you are on has standard decent players and you do not have a significant edge on them -then hit and run is fine.
Also of you are playing a TAG style switching tables often is a good idea as well, when you see the table has noticed and is folding correctly vs you. At that point your wins will be card distribution dependent.

Also if you sit at a table and discover all the good players are to your right and the weak are to your left- leave.

Online play allows us to find the most EV+ tables and play on them.

Hope this helps
:):)

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your response!

I play at Bovada, so all the tables are anonymous. I can't really tell where the EV+ players are (relative to my own skill level) until I sit down and play an orbit or two. I know I can probably make a decision after that, though.

I understand your thoughts, thank you! Right now, I am trying to build up my bankroll, so perhaps I'll start to "cash out" my profits sooner rather than later.

The pro's that I've read say that no matter what, if you are a winning poker player (skill-based that is), in the long run, you'll make money, and short term luck (good or bad) won't matter. Knowing that, cashing out early to keep a profit doesn't really make sense, because there will always be another hand, another session. And you never know what you'll be dealt.

On the other hand, seeking out the EV+ games is definitely a skill set that should be utilized, especially in the online world.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no point in leaving a table, just because you won. However there can be a point in avoiding deep stacked play like 200+ BB, which can happen, if other players are also deep. You might decide to pass on deep stacked play if:

* The other deep stacked player is good and on your left
* It will cause you to risk more than 5% of your total bankroll on a single hand
* You are just not comfortable with it and would rather focus on playing good 100BB poker

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The real answer is in the terms and conditions of the poker sites. Some sites actually prohibit that behavior. If the site is OK with it then you can simply walk away with your profits every time! no harm done.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can leave the table whenever time you want. If you have made a decent profit, why not to leave the table. If you feel solid to continue playing, you can play more, of course. But if you start feeling that you profit is on danger, it is best to leave. There is no rule or exact moment when you can leave the table. One person should leave when he feels that this is the moment to leave, never mind of the profit or loss. Every person judges for himself when to leave the table.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was worried about this question too, but I found a solution. I sit down to cash games and allocate 1 hour for this game. My goal is to double my amount at the table. If I do it in less than 1 hour, then I leave the table all the same.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was worried about this question too, but I found a solution. I sit down to cash games and allocate 1 hour for this game. My goal is to double my amount at the table. If I do it in less than 1 hour, then I leave the table all the same.

I might suggest instead of doing a time limit do a hand limit. I like to play at a minimum 100 hands before I consider leaving (unless I hit a loss limit). I find sometimes if certain tables are especially slow in an hour you may have only had a few hands that are decent enough to play with so if you're trying to double you're starting stack its a lot harder to do if you have a few hands that are pretty cold and then before you know it 45 minutes went by and you have only gained 5% of your stack. Might be worth trying at least

DRIVEN

DRIVEN

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get two buyins - exit and reenter again.
It is my way.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Nice topic , in my opinion I think you should continue play regardless how much profit you have gained till the moment but on the other hand the previous posters have some solid explanations and there are on point.

Personally , I don't know why , but I don't feel super confident play with 200+ bbs in a 100bbs max buy in table. That doesn't mean that I will leave the table but I always have the ''fear'' of losing a bigger amount of money.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Nice topic , in my opinion I think you should continue play regardless how much profit you have gained till the moment but on the other hand the previous posters have some solid explanations and there are on point.

Personally , I don't know why , but I don't feel super confident play with 200+ bbs in a 100bbs max buy in table. That doesn't mean that I will leave the table but I always have the ''fear'' of losing a bigger amount of money.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just play in tournaments, and I have no questions about leaving the table or not. :D

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To Leave the table with certain amount of profit it's a disciplinary task, so is not so easy to follow. Greedy is nocive and tendencious until a donkey get a monster hand against your inferior good hand and take all your hour(s) of profit. So set your profit goals and when achieve it ge the f... out.