Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
***PRO-TIP***
There are cliffs.

**cue epic intro music**

What am I saying? Here you go:

Hey! My name's Matt Vaughan! What's yours?! Before I go any further, if you'd like some semblance of a clue to how we got here, but not the whole picture, feel free to check out my previous progress thread where I went over my live poker journey.

With that out of the way... WHY in the hell am I starting a new thread instead of necroing my old one like a BAWS????

First of all, that thread is DEAD. And I don't mess with dead stuff. My mom taught me that.

Second, if I necro that thread, I'll keep getting people looking at the literal 5.5-year-old OP going "good luck as you start this live poker journey!!" trying desperately to hit their 30-post requirement, or whatever it is nowadays to get into the freeroll club.

Third... I'm a self-interested SOB and I want a new thread, alright?? So just... okay?!

Lastly, things are actually pretty different for me since I started that thread AND since I let it crash and burn. Here's how:

BC: Before (thread) Crash

• I was first in college and then worked a standard 9-5 in healthcare IT.
  • I spent all my free time playing poker.
  • I had no clue what I was doing in the game.

AD: After (thread) Death

• I work for a poker training site, play poker, and vlog about it. Sometimes I stream.
  • I spend my free time doing almost anything but poker. But also sometimes poker.
  • ... Some things never change.
The point is, I'm different in a lot of ways now, and the ways I interact with the game and its players and fans are different now. So we're sailing this ship straight ahead, matey. :captain: That's nautical-speak for I'm going ahead with this whether you like it or not. So get used to it. Or don't. It won't keep me up at night one way or the other.

The Dirty Details

I currently play a weird mixture of stuff. About 12 of the last 18 months, I spent grinding solely online MTT's primarily on Ignition. Then I binked their 100k GTD and found out you can't play on the site if you live in Maryland (where I live). I got paid out, but bye bye Ignition. I moved most of my volume to BetOnline, then ACR, with reasonable success, but nothing insane.

I played this past year's 2019 WSOP, and pretty much bricked out. It was my first time having close to all of myself. Figures it's basically my first losing WSOP ever. Sucks to suck I guess.

Since returning home, I've dived fully back into online cash games - something I haven't dedicated myself to since maybe 2012 (check some of my old threads, they are hilarious in a very cringe-worthy sort of way) - on a site called PKC. It's a US-facing site that plays with a primarily Chinese player pool, making it, imo, one of the softest options out there for US players. Oh and we let in Canadians, too. God knows why.

But the important bit is this: The site is endorsed by Bart Hanson, owner/founder of Crush Live Poker, and a super reputable guy in the industry. He personally knows the head of security and the general manager of PKC, which makes this probably the safest US-facing site out there by itself, and on top of that their focus is basically all game integrity. No bots, no collusion, etc. It ain't Pokerstars... but it's home for me now.

It's all cash games on there, so that's what I've been grinding, playing primarily 5/10/20 ¥ with a ¥ ante. (That's Chinese yuan btw, which is roughly a 7 to 1 conversion to USD.) That game with antes effectively plays with a $3 mandatory straddle, but plays closer to a shallow $3/$6 NL game because of the antes.

I shotted 10/20/40 ¥, it went pretty badly, but was also a pretty horrific run of variance on top of some personal stuff going on in my life that compounded into play bad. No excuses. I should have taken more days off. I didn't. It's water under the bridge. But I really wish some of those sessions would have walked the damn plan-- you know what, I KNOW I'm overdoing the nautical shit, okay? Don't get in a damn uproar about it.

So anyway, I'm back down to 5/10/20¥ with my tail between my legs. (I didn't have a good nautical version of that... but now that I think of it "with my mast in shambles" mighta been good. Oh well). The goal is to basically get something like 60-100k¥ profit before I shot 10/20/40¥ again since I didn't feel comfortably rolled last time.

The plan for this thread is to post hand histories, bitch and moan about how bad I'm running, and generally get lots of you playing on PKC with me. :D:D:D

So to kick it off, here are a couple fun hands I've played so far in my next couple of posts.

Cliffs:

• My name's Matt Vaughan
  • I've played poker a surprisingly long time
  • I used to suck
  • I only kind of suck now
  • I might keep throwing nautical references in here for fun :captain:
  • LFGGGGG
So without further ado... let's set sail for the distant horizon!! :icon_sunny:

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

First hand, fun little spot with 65ss in a 3bet pot. Preflop I could definitely just fold, but HJ vs SB I figure it can't be terribad at these depths. Flop call seems standard. Turn definitely closer but he's pretty active, and reasonably aggro.

Second hand, this one we're OOP and flop top pair. Flop could be a lead sometimes but vs an UTG open I prefer a x call. As played betting turn seems standard. I'm not really targeting UTG's range though so when they call I kind of feel like river might be a xf, and we call with the stronger holdings maybe.

In any case, let me know if you guys are cool with this format, or would prefer text written out. It's sort of faster/easier for me to just screen capture these after the fact, but I could potentially do a mixture of both if people like.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in, 65s i dont love the line, I always think paired flops tilt the equity towards the aggressor because we dont have additional pair outs ever. I probably find a fold pre just because of stack sizes.

JTs i think i like a smaller sizing on the turn, but calling river looks fine to me

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In!
GLGL!!!

Ty sir!

in, 65s i dont love the line, I always think paired flops tilt the equity towards the aggressor because we dont have additional pair outs ever. I probably find a fold pre just because of stack sizes.

JTs i think i like a smaller sizing on the turn, but calling river looks fine to me

Yeah it's been a struggle adjusting to these games because the price I'm getting pre is sometimes misleading due to the pot bloating from the antes. Are you just basically folding turn as played though?

JTs hand I think I just sized that way since we unblock all flush draws, but that might be less relevant than I think since people prob overcbet those into multiway pots anyway.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Here's another one. I think pre and flop are very standard, but turn I'm unsure if maybe I should be check calling. Also wondering what you think about sizings vs a whale. Like I always feel maybe I can size larger.

I felt pretty okay about folding to this player type as he can have all two pairs, most if not all straights, 88, and maybe 77 and 66 sometimes. I unblock draws but there's decent money still behind and we have a high likelihood of a terrible card coming.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In. Will need to catch up later though.....

It looks well organized and well written.

You have bullet points ffs.

Nice.

In.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea in game i play it the same with 65s I just think its one of my leaks, we should get away pre and play slightly better hands imo. Turn is yuck, sometimes we have 6 outs, other times we are fading 6, i think its all bar 16 combos of the former.

AK looks good to me. bet/fold every street.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In. Will need to catch up later though.....

It looks well organized and well written.

You have bullet points ffs.

Nice.

In.

:cool:

I'm hardly organized, but I appreciate it haha. Hoping to just have an outlet for posting these hands. Anyone just like getting this in pre? I figured UTG vs MP this was a pretty good just flat the 4b spot.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im gii pre but flatting cant be terrible, im much much much more inclined to flat AA than KK

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also, I just got done getting interviewed by Andrew Brokos for the Thinking Poker Podcast. Was a listener from waaaaaay back in the day, so I'm super pumped to be featured!! So crazy!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im gii pre but flatting cant be terrible, im much much much more inclined to flat AA than KK

So do you not have a flatting range here then? And are you just flatting say, JJ, TT, AQ to his open in the first place then? It's something I'm still trying to decide how I want to handle in these games, but it's frankly pretty rare to be in a spot like this (in this exact configuration UTG vs MP).

E

Elisondjp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What kind of game to start with? Regular, Turbo, Hyper, etc ...

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of game to start with? Regular, Turbo, Hyper, etc ...

Not sure what you mean. It's an 8-max, 3-blind game with antes. Not a tournament or sit'n'go. You can see the action in the videos.

Im flatting AK AA and thats it probably I dont think i 3bet anything esle that needs to call

Cool. Great to have you back around btw. :)

E

Elisondjp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you

I need training can someone tell me what is the best way to train in poker?

Not sure what you mean. It's an 8-max, 3-blind game with antes. Not a tournament or sit'n'go. You can see the action in the videos.

Cool. Great to have you back around btw. :)
my poker questions can i post here?

Also, I just got done getting interviewed by Andrew Brokos for the Thinking Poker Podcast. Was a listener from waaaaaay back in the day, so I'm super pumped to be featured!! So crazy!

What is the worst mistake a poker player can make?

Last edited by a moderator:
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice thread enjoying the clips and hand discussions.:)

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you

I need training can someone tell me what is the best way to train in poker?

my poker questions can i post here?

What is the worst mistake a poker player can make?

You can post some questions here, but they are better placed in the appropriate places in the forum, not here. This is a progress thread, not really a strategy Q&A area.

But to briefly answer you, there's no single best way to train in poker. I recommend joining a poker training site, but the best fit one is up to you to decide for yourself.

Nice thread enjoying the clips and hand discussions.:)

Thanks!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in!

the 65s hand I think we should get away preflop.

JT i like the flop check and turn lead. river I think we can check call a smaller size but as played I think I check fold river.

AK seems like you played it well by bet folding turn.

the KK hand I will get it in pre 2/3 and flat 1/3 in these EP vs EP spots.

and also.....cool about thinking poker! I'll look for your episode. I usually listen to them all anyways but sometimes I let them stack up for a few weeks. I'll find this one sooner!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in!

the 65s hand I think we should get away preflop.

JT i like the flop check and turn lead. river I think we can check call a smaller size but as played I think I check fold river.

AK seems like you played it well by bet folding turn.

the KK hand I will get it in pre 2/3 and flat 1/3 in these EP vs EP spots.

and also.....cool about thinking poker! I'll look for your episode. I usually listen to them all anyways but sometimes I let them stack up for a few weeks. I'll find this one sooner!

Thanks for the input! It's interesting to hear the splits on some of these from various players I respect. Cool stuff!

And yeah I'll post it here too when it's out, but shouldn't be too long! It was so cool to check out their website for the first time in a while and see Phil Galfond as the most recent episode - just 2 episodes ahead of me. :eek::eek::eek:

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved the original post.
You mention Brokos, ha e you read his new book?
Please post a link to the podcast when available.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to be back man, hopefully ill remember to hang around this time!

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved the original post.
You mention Brokos, ha e you read his new book?
Please post a link to the podcast when available.

Will do! I haven't read the book but I've been meaning to pick it up, especially as I'm picking up more online cash game volume again for the first time in ages.

Good to be back man, hopefully ill remember to hang around this time!

You'd better!

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In. Haven't been foruming too much lately but do come by most days.

Organize a Home Poker Game