Just a bad beat right?

N

Nymets5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's the hand in question. I'm pretty sure this is a bad beat, but rather than complain, I just want some feedback as to whether or not my bet sizing was wrong and if I could have done something else

Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

NL Holdem $0.02(BB)
UTG ($13.07) [VPIP: 37.3% | PFR: 18.7% | AGG: 34.1% | 3-Bet: 5.4% | Hands: 167]
EP ($2.46) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 13.9% | AGG: 35.3% | 3-Bet: 0% | hands: 37]
HERO ($3.51) [VPIP: 37.9% | PFR: 30.8% | AGG: 37.1% | 3-Bet: 14.8% | Hands: 2313]
HJ ($1.81) [VPIP: 28% | PFR: 12% | AGG: 27.3% | 3-Bet: 8.3% | Hands: 25]
CO ($3.47) [VPIP: 10.4% | PFR: 7.3% | AGG: 60% | 3-Bet: 2.1% | Hands: 96]
BTN ($2.12) [VPIP: 11.8% | PFR: 5.9% | AGG: 50% | 3-Bet: 16.7% | Hands: 18]
SB ($1.94) [VPIP: 9.2% | PFR: 1.3% | AGG: 6.7% | 3-Bet: 4% | Hands: 77]
BB ($6.52) [VPIP: 11.9% | PFR: 7.4% | AGG: 44.4% | 3-Bet: 5.3% | Hands: 177]

Dealt to Hero: 9:club: 9:heart:

UTG Raises To $0.05, EP Folds, HERO Calls $0.05, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [26.62 effective]
Flop ($0.13): A:spade: 9:spade: K:diamond:
UTG Bets $0.03 (Rem. Stack: 12.99), HERO Raises To $0.09 (Rem. Stack: 3.37), UTG Calls $0.06 (Rem. Stack: 12.93)

Turn ($0.31): A:spade: 9:spade: K:diamond: A:diamond:
UTG Checks, HERO Bets $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 3.22), UTG Calls $0.15 (Rem. Stack: 12.78)

River ($0.61): A:spade: 9:spade: K:diamond: A:diamond: 7:heart:
UTG Checks, HERO Bets $0.30 (Rem. Stack: 2.92), UTG Raises To $0.89 (Rem. Stack: 11.89), HERO Calls $0.59 (Rem. Stack: 2.33)

UTG shows: 7:club: A:club:

UTG wins: $2.28

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah bad beat (in a sense bad beat, but really that's just how ranges go)

Better question is to ask if you should raise AI on the river. Personally I feel that calling is better, but I'm too lazy to see if that feeling is obviously wrong.

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play on the flop. Maybe you should have bet a little more on the turn. I guess I would bet .21. But I think this is one of those hands that once villain gets the ace on the turn that they would call all bets besides a big over bet. On the river, I would have bet for value, but once you are check raised on the river he has to have a bigger full house. I'm not saying I could fold that very often with the amount of money in the pot, but you would save almost 30 BBs if you make the right fold. Good luck.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think your villain played quite well and indeed he could check-raised larger on the river if he put you on 99.

As played, I would raise larger on the flop, bet larger on the turn and river and hopefully I can fold once got check-raised.

N

Nymets5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play on the flop. Maybe you should have bet a little more on the turn. I guess I would bet .21. But I think this is one of those hands that once villain gets the ace on the turn that they would call all bets besides a big over bet. On the river, I would have bet for value, but once you are check raised on the river he has to have a bigger full house. I'm not saying I could fold that very often with the amount of money in the pot, but you would save almost 30 BBs if you make the right fold. Good luck.
I'm thinking you're right here. And yeah I'm not folding a full house, my reads are not that good. I figured he had an ace, but I was doubting he had a full house. Thanks

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How did you not get it in on the river?

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally have to bet way more on the turn to extract more value and eliminate hands that could be improved on the river, but just a bad beat

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The unfortunate situation has unfortunately met you. I think it was a big bet after turn to scare the enemy. You had full house then.

Overall, you had a better starting hand and a big bad luck in this hand.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man he basically won because the investment to see the river was good. So You could go in all-in mode (even on pre-flop, just to steal the pot, if he called if A and 7 he is insane), or all in-in mode on the flop, he would at least considered folding his prime PAIRS. Anyway i don't think you played bad, he had few outs get lucky as ****.

georgi krastev

georgi krastev

Legendary Donk-Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Definitely this situation is bad beat. It seems to me that, your post-flop bet size is too low:questionm(A set of 9's is an easy all-in for me).

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when some one 3 bet you on river are even 4 bet you then you are alway losing with 3 are 4 nuts so in the river its bad call you should fold every time

N

Nymets5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. The big takeaway is bet bigger.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad beat indeed, but how do you not get it in on the river is my question aswell haha

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My instinct is that it was not a bad beat. I agree with those that say the flop and turn bets were too low. What was the reasoning for the flop and turn bet size you made? I imagine it is either:
1. 3x raise is standard play, 50% pot on turn is standard play
2. I thought I was good and didn't want to blow him off the his hand

I think in the heat of the moment I probably would have made similar plays as this seems familiar to me. But it is this type of situation that I'm trying to correct as well.

C

carstin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have bet more on flop and turn. If I were guy with A7 in that game, would absolutely fold on turn after pot sized bet.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My instinct is that it was not a bad beat. I agree with those that say the flop and turn bets were too low. What was the reasoning for the flop and turn bet size you made? I imagine it is either:
1. 3x raise is standard play, 50% pot on turn is standard play
2. I thought I was good and didn't want to blow him off the his hand

I think in the heat of the moment I probably would have made similar plays as this seems familiar to me. But it is this type of situation that I'm trying to correct as well.

I think it's situations like this we players such as Matt Berkey, Doug Polk, Garrett Adelstein would start throwing in overbets (1.5x-2x pot) especially on turn. They would do this to extract maximum value if called and if your opponent folds then that's never a bad thing.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky

I don't think this guy was going any where. Once turn hit he was locked. You got off extremely cheap. Chalk it up as one in your favor even tho you lost.