JJ trouble !!!

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lost the hand history, this just happened though so it's accurate.

.10/.25 NL on Pstars. Guy opens from EP, I'm in the SB with JJ. I'm probably 50/50 between raising and calling here. This time I decided to raise so I bump it to 3.50. He calls, there's about $6 in the pot for a 9-2-7 flop with 2 spades. I bet $4, he calls. Turn is a blank 3. I bet $9 into the ~$14 pot. He just calls again. Thinking about it now I guess I kinda decided to commit myself by betting that turn b/c now I have just $13 left and there's like $40 in the pot. The river brings the 10 of spades. I think it would be pretty retarded to check-fold at this point so I just shove. He calls and takes it with QQ.

I think I went wrong on the turn and should probably give up right there instead of firing again. I showed strength twice and got called each time. What do you guys think?:joyman:

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate jacks period. Raise and Fold is the only option. If you get called you either go all in or fold no inbetween really for me.

I fold jacks preflop to any raise most of the time.

B

bird_man13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
here's how i play JJ, depending on the situation, like if ur deep in the tourny blinds r higher, u can use JJ to your advantage and get ppl out of the pot by betting anywhere between 4x-8x the BB early in the tourny i would bet 4x the BB i'll get several callers, if an A, K, Q hits i simply check, hence i dont have squat but bottom pair most likely, someone bets behind me i'll call if its cheap bet, but if they go pot or more, im outtie fold the JJ no use to me losing all my chips when i got about 6 outs to make my hand better, now in ur situation u actually played ur pp JJ right, but.... they opponent actually had a better hand, just badluck there, don't beat urself up about it, you keep playing the way u played that pot the next time u'll take down the big pot!

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Birdman... he's obviously *not* talking about tournament play. It's cash and he's playing a full stack so his bankroll to blinds ratio is much greater than it will be late in a tourney when the blinds are higher.
As for him playing J/J just right... he stacked off with one pair (granted, an overpair, but the worst possible overpair) to an early raiser when he had a full stack. He's going to lose a chunk there, but losing it all wasn't necessary.

He calls and takes it with QQ.

There's no reason to shove that river unless you think you're able to bluff him off an overpair there... which is not likely.
What is a guy opening with in early position, and calling you down with, that you can beat? I'd have guessed he had Vowels. (I think he played Queens poorly, unless he thought you'd stack off every time there.)

On the river I check for sure, and call his small value bet or fold to his shove.
...and calling a small bet by him on the river is probably a bad move. If he's nitty I just check/fold the river. If he's been clingy to his hands, I make call the small value bet and then yell at myself that I should have known better. :)

Last edited:
playsuji6

playsuji6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah!! You Bet twice and he calls it. This shows that you thought you are pulling him but you are trapped by him.
You just have to check at some point and have noticed his hand.
Major mistake done by you is Read about him.
Anyway JJ vs QQ, it is always unpredictable that what he holds.
Nice win and Nice lost!!

R

royalstud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the raise preflop. When he calls the flop he's usually got you beat tho. Even tho it's not the worst board ever I still like check folding.
You 3bet pre he called, he check calls flop..thats a pretty strong line and not somone on a draw too often

W

whoopwhoop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Jacks hardly ever win. Just about the only time they do win is when you flop a set. The odds of that are not good either, so basically they always put you in a tough spot. Best situation is that the other guy has Ace10, K10, or queen 10.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. Jacks hardly ever win. Just about the only time they do win is when you flop a set. The odds of that are not good either, so basically they always put you in a tough spot. Best situation is that the other guy has Ace10, K10, or queen 10.

Over 551k+ hands online lifetime playing cash games, I've been dealt JJ 2,536 times. It is the fourth most profitable hand in my database (behind AA, KK, and QQ - fifth is AK) based on gross profit and the percentage of the time I win the pot (78%).

If you think JJ hardly ever win, think again.

Daniel Salas

Daniel Salas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ouchh lol
I have little confidence in the pair of j

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like JJ. u can smooth call raises pre-flop, re-raise if u think he's nitty, limp in. But u jus gotta know when to fold them.
When he's raising early and callin a re-raise, then ur c/bet on the flop. U gotta know ur behind sumhow. Unless u've seen him call bets and cant fold AK....

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will say I don't like J's either. I do like to see a cheap flop with them.

They have been nothing but trouble when I have tried to play them. I will flop post flop on just about any bet.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to respect an EP position raise, especially when you get called on the flop and turn. But honestly, your opponent showing strength pre-flop and on the flop may not have given you enough information, given the raggy nature of the board. He could have easily been playing a suited AK or pocket tens the same way. I think your bets in both cases were reasonable/necessary.

His/her call on the turn would have been a red flag for me, although your bet seems reasonable here as well- I might have sensed a set or an overpair to my jacks at this point.

Having an overpair to the board is certainly hard to fold when you get to the river. It's a hard hand to check though because you give control to the villain- who may have put you all in anyway, so you have no other choice but to shove and hope for a fold and/or hope your opponent had something like pocket 8s since you only had $13 behind you.

$13 seems like the right amount for a value bet. Too bad you didn’t have more money behind you. That amount may have given your opponent cause for pause as well- he/she may have been thinking that you had AA or KK or maybe filled your set on the river with pocket tens. They probably call in this case anyway, though.

Absent of checking/ check folding the turn, I think losing that last bit on the river was inevitable- although there is a little fold equity, given that it is a .10/.25. You still have a decent amount of play with that bankroll with that blind structure (without reloading, of course).

Anyway, tough hand. Having 1 pair is always troublesome even on a raggy board, regardless of whether it’s JJs or AAs.

Sheepodog

Sheepodog

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Like they say, 'There are only 2 ways to play JJ...and both are wrong'.

XPOKERCHIC

XPOKERCHIC

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks are very hard to play for me. Even in late position I am very cautious. This video has been around for awhile, but it really sums it up. X

YouTube - How to play JJ

W

witl69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like to play JJ in early position but if I have position especially like utg then it beco0mes a very playable hand I think its a great time to try to bet and steal a pot at the very least.

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hate them.... Fold them to middle/late position call, then if an over hits the flop fold'em...

AJ JJ = Most hated hands.

The PoolBoy

The PoolBoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Loved that video...for foks sake.....only one or two over cards on the board....lol

onebourbon

onebourbon

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Like poker in general...I have a love/hate relationship with pocket jacks....lol

Olddog21

Olddog21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

I don't think you were going to get him off the QQ's no matter what you did! Just a bad hand to be in.....you might have saved some money by checking to see where he was coming from...:cool: :cool: :cool:

Maid Marian

Maid Marian

RIP Baby BooBoo
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have had good & bad times with JJ...if I can, I'll shove them if no one else goes all-in...usually I win! But I have also lost doing the same thing! LOL! It depends on the table, players, my chip stack, even my mood! If I'm 'on tilt', I may shove it anyway...sometimes with disastrous results!:D

I try NOT to play if I'm easily upset! Last night I ended up purposely ruining my US tourney because I realized I was very upset about someone & couldn't concentrate...I went all-in several times with absolutely nothing...the 3rd time was a charm...I won the 1st two! LOL! I shouldn't have even played...:(

P

poker d player

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great video, reminds me of last night.... :eek: I think you played it well considering the flop (hard to get away on that one) Some hands you are just gonna loose your stack...

H

HipHopStoner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks are very hard to play for me. Even in late position I am very cautious. This video has been around for awhile, but it really sums it up. X

YouTube - How to play JJ

HAHAHA OMG I could not stop laughing that whole time.. I had to even smoke my last bud and laugh at this guy.... It's so funny how angry he gets after analyzing the hand "perfectly" and blames everyone else for his shitty play... haha that made my day.

Thanks PokerChic

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everybody has a similar story with J's. It is a strong hand but it is still very difficult to play them well.