its hard to fold pocket Q's

N

nujack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you know when to fold pocket Q's and when the flop is to your advantage and people start to bet on the turn and lets say the community cards on the table is 9 2 6 Q

the other players start to bet when they see the Q and then I will call and the river is a K and every one just checks and i check too and get beat by pocket KK's thats what usuallu happens when i am paired up with premium pocket cards

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nujack said:
how do you know when to fold pocket Q's and when the flop is to your advantage and people start to bet on the turn and lets say the community cards on the table is 9 2 6 Q

the other players start to bet when they see the Q and then I will call and the river is a K and every one just checks and i check too and get beat by pocket KK's thats what usuallu happens when i am paired up with premium pocket cards
If someone is slow playing their pocket K's and you don't pick up on it, there isn't much you can do. A big bet on the flop or turn, might put some fear in them that you flopped 2 pair or maybe even a set. But unless you make them believe you have them beat, they'll stay with their Cowboys every time.

Put yourself in their position. If you had KK and were slow playing it, and the community was 9 2 6 Q, you'd still call 'em down as long as the bets weren't crazy.

D

dazza123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
indeed it is hard to fold them, but so many times you'll be beaten :p

N

nujack

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah i guess part of my probelm with betting ! i think when i make a bet usually everyone will fold. So in order for people to stay in the pot and make it bigger i do smaller bets. So i need to just go for the chips and if they stay in when i bet the ydo and they dont I will just take those chips and it to my chip count!

thanks for the advice and im going to start to try to play if i was the other person and ithink i have what they have in theri hands for example: the cowboys....

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dazza123 said:
indeed it is hard to fold them, but so many times you'll be beaten :p
I would say that people over play them too much. There is a time and place for QQ, and a way to bet with it, so you don't get yourself in trouble. You gotta figure that early in a tournament, some dead money is gonna call you with A-X, and late in a tourney anyone with AK, AQ, AJ, or A10 is gonna call you.

I like to make a medium sized bet with QQ, unless I feel I have a good read on my opponent. No A or K on the flop, charge them some more. No A or K on the turn, punish them for chasing.

C

corcoromano

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Queens, but when I have them they never come.. the upcoming hand they are allover :) and yeah I get beaten with them most of the times.. sucks

C

cwcsr1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sadly, in most turny play unless it is real late in the game some lotto player is going to stay with rags. And yes it feels great to wipe the floor with them QQ isnt the best hand to do it with. I never fails they always seem to fill a st8 or a flush, while your one off your boat. Late in the game or a short table you just have to play your gut and your reads of the other players at the table. Just remember if they are still in at or near the end they usualy arnt "donators"

D

DaShizNit33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Q's are a premium hand fre-flop anyway you look at it. It's not really hard to fold any hand....even wired aces, if you can properly acess your opponents hand(s). If you tend to think your beat...you probably are, so save the bet for later. I personally laid down wired Kings 4 times in a live 70 person limit tourney, and do believe those folds propelled me to the final table. I was beat each time 3 straights, and a set. It sucked to do it...especially on back to back hands, but well worth it. Go with your gut, it's usually right.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nujack said:

In this situation...why would you fold? on the turn you hit a set of Q's which was the best hand (assuming there isnt a flush draw showing). If people started betting on the turn, you can assume 1 person had a Q at least, since you are holding the other 2. The rest who are calling most likely are holding over pairs (AA KK) which they misplayed and are most likely calling drawing cards. someone could also be holding 2 pair or a lower set, but out of all these options, you still have the best.

since the river couldve still brought a scare card: J, 10, K, A (straight draw possibility) or a flush draw suit or even 2, 9, 6 could've made quads (which is unlikely but possible...and it gives you a boat)..i wouldve bet big on this turn to scare most off. too many drawing hands for you to just slow play. bet if you're first to act or reraise big...

if someone was holding KK or AA they'll most likely that bet, but then are only giving themselves small outs..so they just got really lucky.

N

notfit66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:banghead: oh dem pocket Q's....i feel your pain nujack...had the ladies in a tourney last nite early in a freeroll, betting was going like crazy with 3 others at the table all before the flop....raise, re-raise, re-re-raise, re-re-re-raise....so of course by the time it gets back to me, had enough of this re-raise stuff :stupido2:so i go all-in :stupid:...with that 3 of us stay in, my Q's, a J and a little one suited, and of course the rockets. the flop was 8 Q 6...great im in the lead only one suit to match the flush draw...the turn...ace :hmpf: :goodnight...frustrating yes...the river...who cares it didnt help. Thats poker ....i love this friggin game! Great cards dont always make a great hand:ciao:

L

lacrosse09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to bet on the q in my opinion don't let the people on draws catch them or you will lose every time.

S

seinfeldrulez12

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jacks and queens can be very frusstrating so try not 2 get too much money in pre-flop

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As is the case with most big pairs, the slippery slope to a bad beat is paved with slow playing. If you catch AA, KK, or QQ, you are almost always best-served to chase the table with a really big pre-flop bet. Notice I didn't say "go all-in". That only fires up the maniacs to call you with A-x or K-x and draw to an overpair. But simply calling the blinds or making a token raise is just asking for trouble. (And watch how many times the fish will fold to a 10 x BB bet when they would have called an all-in with the same cards. There's just something about ringing that bell that they can't resist.)

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must gets heads up with big pairs. Your opponents and position will determine what the size of your bet should be. I usually have to bet a little more than I would like in early position just because of being early. To be blunt if you can't raise or re-raise preflop with big pairs you are playing the wrong game. Bet what you need to bet to get heads up most likely at low limit or low NL the person calling will have an ace if the dreaded ace comes up and you are first to act throw a half pot bet at it and see what happens. smooth call means you are probably beat. Getting to heads up is what is most important though. Hope that helps.

J

jojowins

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
qq

the way i play is probarly unusual to most, but lets say i have qq and 3, 7,k flops, if the bet is not to hi i will stay for another card, if j comes, and the bet is not hi i will c one more, but if someone bets really hi, then i fold, if i cant beat highest pr showing which to me is the k, then why hold on to qq? yea a q may flop but chances are slim and none, and that applys to all cards for me, not just the high ones, i look at the board and figure the highest cards someone at least paired if i cant even beat that i dont waste my chips.

bpazjr13

bpazjr13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jojowins said:
the way i play is probarly unusual to most, but lets say i have qq and 3, 7,k flops, if the bet is not to hi i will stay for another card, if j comes, and the bet is not hi i will c one more, but if someone bets really hi, then i fold, if i cant beat highest pr showing which to me is the k, then why hold on to qq? yea a q may flop but chances are slim and none, and that applys to all cards for me, not just the high ones, i look at the board and figure the highest cards someone at least paired if i cant even beat that i dont waste my chips.

what the hell did you just say? you say if you have QQ and can't beat top pair showing (K) you will fold? no shit. you are correct....i dont think anyone plays like this.

how about pre flop raising and if flop comes 3, 7, K.....you bet into the K and see if he actually has it or is weary about his kicker...if he calls, you get another card and id fire another bet on the turn, if i get raised its an easy fold

J

jojowins

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u dont have to be ugly about it!! but i have seen so many times someone will stay and stay and in the end they have a hi,,, so no, not everyone has enough sense to fold if they cant even beat hi pair. i dont know how much poker u have played but i have seen some crazy shit out there for hands.

ytseshred

ytseshred

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation you mentioned, it also depends on the suits. If there are 2 of a suit out, so a flush draw is out there, I'd even re-raise when someone bet into my trips. You want to make them pay to draw to their flush or straight (you said Q9xx was out). I've lost too many times by just checking through or cold calling my trips when later catches what they were drawing towards, so I personally like to reraise when I have the best hand at the time.

K

kiznik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
seinfeldrulez12 said:
jacks and queens can be very frusstrating so try not 2 get too much money in pre-flop
I'd have to disagree. I say get a lot of money in preflop (this will almost surely push out connectors and small pocket pairs) and pray for no K or A on the flop.

If there is, represent it unless there's a bet out already that is representing it ( they probably have it if they called your big preflop bet ). If you get reraised, fold (they may have 2 pair, trips or A+kicker ). If you get called proceed with caution.
If you get called, you have to decide whether the opponent has the Ace or not. I evaluate, is he the type of player that over plays an A? Is he on a draw because he plays draws a lot?
Then, I may fire a medium bet. If he reraises, fold. He's almost definetially not on a draw, because a player on a draw wouldnt reraise, because he assumes you have the Ace, and not your QQ. If he just calls he may be on a draw, or have trips that he's letting you fire at. Now you can see 4th st. If there's no draws that accomadte KQ, QJ, or J10, he probably hasn't made it. A big bet will push him out.
Now, if he has the A, he probally won't check to the river, same if he has trips. So if you get check raised, raised, or reraised, look out. If he checks, decide whether you want to push out any draw, or wheel in a lower pair that he's chasing.

That's my thoughts. I hope that was coherent. Please point out flaws, bad ideas, etc. I'm not a pro and I have a lot to learn here.

P

philly0707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just gotta watch what else is going on, but I agree about representing it if nobody else seems to be and try to take down the pot, otherwise you have to know when you are beat and just fold em.

L

lildude3069

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nujack said:

hahaha it sure is hard... thast why u dont
i played in a torunement this week and first i had pocket k's and the other guy had AD,4 . i hit a k on the flop and he hits nothing but he didnt have alot of chips so he went al in trying to bluff me out. so i called and he hits 4 diamonds on teh board and beats my 3 kings. the very next hand. same guy gets pockets QQ i get pocket AA and the flop is QAQ ....bye bye to me
thats my getting raped by queens story
lildude

J

jdecost1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Those ladies can be dangerous, never play if you have the queen of diamond. I mean what can you do if a monster hand gets beaten by a monster hand, especially if you both made a set. Slow playing seems like the logical choice, and 4 out of 5 times it is, but on that 5th time you get burned, it happens, what you gonna do.

:beer: jdecost1

M

mythicshog

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Queens are so hard to lay down, I even look for excuses not to lay them down. One hand, i raised with em and had one caller. flop is AAK. He checks to me. I go all in, thinking "well, since AK's are out on the flop, what are the chances he has em." He flopped the boat with AK. What I hate is someone goin all in preflop and I have Q's. I don't think I've ever folded them in that sitaution, but it always seems like a terrible beat when i lose, cause its usually only one overcard, an Ace.

bpazjr13

bpazjr13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is not a Premium hand

QQ JJ TT are "Medium" Pockets....play them like medium pair and not premium AA and KK....

D

dave1957

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ

Today in the 250 trubo at noble poker, saw PP QQ lose 4 time in a row lol
but each time a K or a A or two pairs beat it out

Folding in Poker