I lack discipline..

S

stefan95kb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker for more than a year now, and I'm a pretty decent player with room for improvement of course. I can read situations well, I usually know when I can and can't bluff and some advanced stuff as well. But I have a big problem, which is discipline. I don't know when to stop playing, when I lose 2 buy ins I keep playing even when I'm running super bad, I also love playing so I play every day. I win more times than I lose, but when I lose I lose much more because I can't stop. It would really be useful if someone could explain to me how I can discipline myself a bit more. Like when to stop playing, how much to play and stuff like that. Thanks

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing live or online? What stakes are you playing? Do you have tracker if you play online?

I would say 2buyns is not much if you know that you are not playing bad, run good/bad have nothing to do with how long you should play if you play good, of course if you know that you start play bad after 2-3 coolers or badbeat, like i'am that its safer to quit than spill money...

so its all about how good youre playing that should be taken in the decision should you keep playing or not...

S

stefan95kb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you playing live or online? What stakes are you playing? Do you have tracker if you play online?

I would say 2buyns is not much if you know that you are not playing bad, run good/bad have nothing to do with how long you should play if you play good, of course if you know that you start play bad after 2-3 coolers or badbeat, like i'am that its safer to quit than spill money...

so its all about how good youre playing that should be taken in the decision should you keep playing or not...

I play live, 1/2 games, sometimes I buy in 4 or 5 times, well usually I play good but sometimes I'll play a bit more hands than I should or I'll run really bad, like yesterday I had AA against AJ, flop is J,7,3 we get it all in he catches a Jack and stuff like that keep happening sometimes but I don't quit.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i don't play live beside the home games, which doesn't really count but i guess that if you feel that the loss strikes you hard and that you start losing money if you keep playing then quit or take a break, go to the bar and take a cup of coffee or an energy drink, or a beer or whatever gets you calm, if you are afraid that you will lost a seat than take a few hands sitout, while you drink a coffee, smoke a cigarette if it calms you but as a break not in the hands, take a 5 minutes break close your eyes and enjoy smoke (man i would love to have a cigarette right now :D) stay out of the game for 5 minutes and try again. If you think that you're tilting still after a brake than call it a night and leave and come again tomorrow...

Thats best i cat tell you, im also having problem with playing bad after few beats cuz i know that have to hit goal number of hands but im already down and whole bunch of stuff are in my mind and i tilt... so it happens to all of us :)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi stefan95kb and welcome to Cardschat. DrazaFFT said it all for live poker, and online poker will be the same. You know the problem, so YOU can fix it, but sometimes that is easier said than done, but you have to make yourself do it. We can tell you what to do all day, but we can't make you do it. But I can promise you one thing. If you do walk away from the table some, you will be glad you did. GL to you

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll make this short and sweet.

If your losing 4-5 BI in one day. You have a gambling problem go and get help asap. (Exclude this if your a millionaire)

Losing 2BI is without a doubt the moment you leave asap (Do you honestly think that 3rd BI will somehow make you win back all your BI's? More then likely it won't unless you increase the stakes to 1-3 or 2-5 and hit a monster. This is something I strongly recommend not doing)

I would strongly recommend you only play with 1BI. Anyone and everyone's playing ability decrease the moment they lose that first BI.

Put it this way, Mental Discipline is everything. It's basically a huge fundamental of the game. It is the foundation. If you lack in this discipline of the game, you will be a losing player and not show a profit. This is just my own insight GL.

Last edited:
H

heraldyswift

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ever heard of the program "Tilt Breaker", it should work for you if you cant stop.

vic88888

vic88888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda hit and miss I guess. Maybe it is just a luck thing.

blef mashine

blef mashine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at the beginning of the tournament should play cautiously , but when you get a good hand to be aggressive , but the problem of small buy in tournaments is that when you raise the opponent called with some stupid cards which you buy the bigger and would not do