HUD How many hands to get your facts right ?

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many hands should you play with someone to make any conclusion of villains play ?
I dont think 50 hands is enough... maybe 100+ ?
What do you guys think ?
Thanks !

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These 3 threads need merged.

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe should make an "The big HUD thread" or something like that

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe just stop obsessing with the damn hud :D It helps you know who's terrible, who has an idea, just stop relying on it as if it's going to play the game for you!

C

CaptainKout

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know they sell do sell things that will "play the game for ya." But as far as I know, it's like staking an idiot that can't learn.

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The HUD is a big part in online poker ! i already know the basics and stuffs and i can do well in Non-HUD sites + Live poker, or atleast pretty good, now its time to learn how to use HUD for all the different players as playing many players at once !

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what stats you're looking at, and what conclusions you're looking to draw. If a guy limps in on 2/4 hands, you can be pretty sure he's a fish. If a guy has a 5% 3-bet rate after 50 hands, you can't really tell if he's 3-betting light or not.

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
offtopic, i twitted Joseph cheong and said good luck hope you win a bracelet this year and he replied : Thanks !

Go Joseph !

C

cheaptrix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100 hands will give you a rough average for preflop stats and i would say about 1000 to get a rough average of post flop stats.
thats my guess... did i win?

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100 hands will give you a rough average for preflop stats and i would say about 1000 to get a rough average of post flop stats.
thats my guess... did i win?

^^I'm going with this to start and add:
The more the better...

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to me it depends on the game that i am playing, if it a sit and go HU then i give them about 10 hands, but ring games HU can take about 20-25.

but for reg 6 to 9 about 50-75 range is good for me

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cant read sarcasm on the screen so i have to ask, are ya fo real ?
1000 ??? :confused:
Guess I deserve that one for how I post responses sometimes...:rolleyes: lol... not being sarcatic tho'... 100+ hands I believe is like the minimum for a fairly decent post-flop read and I'm not sure exactly about the 1000 but I think it would be a good amount for post-flop, once again if not more... The more hands you have obv. the better the read... I would still use those numbers myself as minimums... You can always work with less... How accurate do you want to be I guess is the question... heck... in situations where I had NO info at all i've worked with a minimum of 10 (Not Advised...seriously)

I find that I like 100+/1000+ hands better myself...:D

Last edited:
Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For basis's like who is a standard reg and whos bad you only need 20 or so hands, but for more in depth stats you will need well over 200 minimum

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For basis's like who is a standard reg and whos bad you only need 20 or so hands, but for more in depth stats you will need well over 200 minimum
Yeah, the 1000 hands may be a little high but I guess every player has their preferences. I like about 50+ hands in general and definitely like 150+ against trickier players... Higher amounts of hands than that I mainly use to attempt to analyze my own play...

Ducky7

Ducky7

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, the 1000 hands may be a little high but I guess every player has their preferences. I like about 50+ hands in general and definitely like 150+ against trickier players... Higher amounts of hands than that I mainly use to attempt to analyze my own play...

Ye i meant as a bare minimum ha, for fish i only need around 30 odd coz then by then you know they are shocking, but to get a better idea on regs, i reckon you need 200-300 minimum

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK i understand... so the better players that are hard to read you would have to need about 150+ atleast....
Thanks guys !

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is important to understand that...

"EVERY STAT TAKES A DIFFERENT AMOUNT OF TIME TO CONVERGE!"

Preflop stats VPIP, PFR, AttemptToSteal and FoldToSteal will be fastest. You can pretty reliably identify nits or loose passive fish within 50 hands using VPIP and PFR. Steal stats prob good after 100 or so.

Next will be 3bet, FoldTo3bet, cbet and FoldtoCbet. You can get some idea after 100-200 hands but you probably need 500+ for reliable stats. Cbet stats converge a bit quicker than 3bet stats.

The longest to converge will be stats that rely on hands going further than the flop such as TurnCbet, WTSD and W$SD which take thousands of hands to be meaningful.

Ezekiel162

Ezekiel162

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to understand that...

"EVERY STAT TAKES A DIFFERENT AMOUNT OF TIME TO CONVERGE!"

Preflop stats VPIP, PFR, AttemptToSteal and FoldToSteal will be fastest. You can pretty reliably identify nits or loose passive fish within 50 hands using VPIP and PFR. Steal stats prob good after 100 or so.

Next will be 3bet, FoldTo3bet, cbet and FoldtoCbet. You can get some idea after 100-200 hands but you probably need 500+ for reliable stats. Cbet stats converge a bit quicker than 3bet stats.

The longest to converge will be stats that rely on hands going further than the flop such as TurnCbet, WTSD and W$SD which take thousands of hands to be meaningful.
Ty... I think you summed this up a lot more accurately than any of the rest of us have attempted to...

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well do someone know a fast way to get all this information, lets say 200+ hands on many players around you ? i mean can you rail them and get info and stuffs ?
What is the fastest way ?
Thanks !

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you don't need all this information to play good poker, you need to know who's a fish and who isn't, it takes 1000's of hands for most stats to become meaningful at all and even still things other than stats are way more important. even stats like fold to cbet are totally unreliable over 10k hands sometimes because people dont just fold to 60% of cbets they fold to cbets more on certain boards and with different parts of their ranges. Just learn to use vpip/pfr and great if after 100 hands a fish has folded to 3/3 c-bets we can assume he is more likely to fold to c-bets. Try and learn some useful poker strategy instead of worrying about stats imo.

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, you don't need all this information to play good poker, you need to know who's a fish and who isn't, it takes 1000's of hands for most stats to become meaningful at all and even still things other than stats are way more important. even stats like fold to cbet are totally unreliable over 10k hands sometimes because people dont just fold to 60% of cbets they fold to cbets more on certain boards and with different parts of their ranges. Just learn to use vpip/pfr and great if after 100 hands a fish has folded to 3/3 c-bets we can assume he is more likely to fold to c-bets. Try and learn some useful poker strategy instead of worrying about stats imo.
My game without HUD is pretty good but anyway i cant seem to profit in longterm cashgame here on pokerstars, i realized that the reason was cuz everybody uses HUD so now i have to use it myself, what should i focus on using HUD then ?
It sucks that almost everybody uses HUD on PS !

R

RythmAndBlues

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i should only use HUD to identify whos the fish,reg, and nit ?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands