How strong do you play Ace Rag?

H

h82b2nd29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am just wondering how strongly you play Ace / 2-9 in MTT tournament play? Do you call raises or even reraise with this hand. Latley I have been getting beat with A2 or A3 when I have AQ or AK its not because I am limping and they are catching, they are calling 3-4 times bb raises and catching. I just don't understand the preflop call with Ace Rag. Do you really think you are ahead preflop against a 4 times bb raise? Lets say you are lets say the guy has KQ you still are racing for no reason. I don't know just wanted some opinions. Thanks

skd1337

skd1337

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ax is terrrible. I hate it with a passion.
But think of the situation you described on the other side. You should be happy that people are calling your AK with Ax, you are 3 to 1 favourite going to the flop. Thats pretty big and is good for you.

I tend to leave rag ace alone unless I get desperate and I have to push one in to steal the blinds

V

vanilla sky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True that hand gets u in alot of trouble...........................

S

soonerdel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why bother even considering playing ace-rag....

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the button or heads up from the blinds. That's it. Or, almost. If the tables soft, open for a raise in late position. If you get called from behind make one CB if you hit an ace. Call it quits if you get called again.

Last edited:
Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It mainly depends on my position. If it's folded to me and I'm in the cutoff with A4s I'll often raise it.

If I'm on a five-handed table and I'm holding A9s I'll raise it all day long no matter what my position is.

But needless to say, I generally don't call a raise with these hands.

motorcity1957

motorcity1957

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace/ rag & small pair

i hardly ever play the ace/rag.
there are certain times that i do play those cards , such as late in a trny at final table with less than 5 players i might call with the ace/rag. or if i am in the blinds i may call with the ace. other than those times i throw them away. i never raise with these hands.
the same goes with the small pocket pair, usually the only way to win with these hands are to hit your set.

Attachments

8.7 KB · Views: 167
H

HarleysComet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if its chep in late pos i will hoping to hit set.if not fold.

EthanVK

EthanVK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Ace/rag stongly when the blinds get high and ONLY in late position when the action has folded to you. That way you have a better chance in stealing the blinds in those later stages of a tournament with a descent hand preflop. Of course if you get re-raised you may want to consider folding since you most likely be drawing to a bigger Ace or a big pocket pair. You also may want to consider your opponent's range of hands played when being re-raised with your Ace/rag.

Also, Ace/rag is a premium hand when in a heads up situation at a final table or when there are 4 or less players remaining at the table. In that case I would play them stongly. Again you always should consider your opponents range of hands, and what kind of reads you may have developed for your opponent.

Any situations other than stated above, its a toss into the muck with those Ace/rags.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think A9 has cost me more money than any other hand - when you've picked up nothing in three rounds of the table, it's one of those hands that ends up looking better than it really is.

I actually find A2 thorugh A5 more tempting than A6 through A9, because at least 2-5 has straight possibilities. They all need very specific flops to help them though, and I don't play many of them if I can help it.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i only play ace rag for a cheap flop when i think someone has that bigger ace,

because if i flop that 2 pair, oohhhhhh baby i get paid off but i practically check fold just top pair....but only if i can see it cheaply, but i hardly do it because i seem to get attached to top pair

its effective and if the guy is still in the tourney, he goes on tilt

O

ol_sin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I stay away from them in general

but I will play them if I see my opponents over valuing A t-k (as is often the case.

if I'm playing A2 with a board of A27, and my opponent has AK, I will take him all in much of the time. in that case, I risked alittle, and I got alot.

doesn't happen often but when it does, it gives you a good boost.

someone mentioned that they like A 2-5 more than A 6-9 because of the straight posibbilities, and I used to agree because straights are just so profitable. But I've since changed my mind. With a hand like A K-T, the only straights you can get with both cards are nut straights. The opposite applies to A2-5. When you play and hand like that, you are vulnerable to losing a large sum of money to small suited connectors like 67 or 46. many times, you'll lose a good chunk of money to someone playing a hand that you think is ridiculous like 36 (with a board of 245, you hold A3) but your mistake was that you thought your hand was invincible because, "nobody would possibly play 36" oh believe me, they're out there. (i'm one of them)

For this reason, if I ever do play A2-5, I'm weary of that possiblity, but A 6-9, thats one let thing to worry about.

if I'm under enough pressure, of course, I'll go all in with A-anything but my preffered A-Rag is A8 or A9. my theory is thus:

There are twelve cards behind A, and that is K-Q-J-T-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2.
if i'm under alot of pressure, and I have A8, I can beat 6 other possible Aces out there (A2, A3...A7), but 5 other possible Aces will beat me (AK, AQ,...A9). At A7, 6 aces will beat me, and I can beat 5. (this applies before the board is flipped of course) it may be a small difference, but its what I use to figure out what I'd like to play.

R

RedfishNelli

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play the game dont let the game play you

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its chep in late pos i will hoping to hit set.if not fold.

You hit sets often with A-rag? I think you meant trips.

Also, Ace/rag is a premium hand when in a heads up situation at a final table or when there are 4 or less players remaining at the table.

No, it is not a premium hand at a shorthanded table. It is a good hand, but A4 v JT is not much of a favorite - thus it can't be called premium.

play the game dont let the game play you

Very insightful. :)

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace rag is good for final tables or when there are 4 or less say a sit and go. Raising pre-flop 2-3X is a good point here. Then position always plays a part where to raise pre flop on a full table or tourney. Mixing up your style is a good thing. However one shouldn't be married to Ax so much. Also limping with Ace rag suited in any position isn't to bad either.

O

ol_sin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
these guys that are saying Ace-Rag is a good hand shorthanded are the guys you will make the most from if you don't play Ace-Rag.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
these guys that are saying Ace-Rag is a good hand shorthanded are the guys you will make the most from if you don't play Ace-Rag.

Absolutely.

'jazz

A

amespop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A-9

I've played A-9 depending on position.On the button or if players limping in. I'm suprised how often I hit the flop playing these combinations.Keep in mind don't make a game plan aroung A-9. Use common sense

EthanVK

EthanVK

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it is not a premium hand at a shorthanded table. It is a good hand, but A4 v JT is not much of a favorite - thus it can't be called premium.

I stand corrected, I meant to say "playable" not "premium".:eek:

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends?

If I want to show down the hand, I will probably avoid ace rag but I generally play LAG enough that I can take ATC and win a pot without a showdown. Obviously A2-type hands are verrrry marginal in all-in situations/big pot showdowns, so if you are looking to win that type of hand, you wouldn't be playing it. At the same time, try to remember that there are not a lot of very dominant hands in terms of showdown value (especially in all-in situations/big pots), so saying that your AT was beaten by A2 may merit the question: why were you playing a big pot with AT in the first place, etc.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In late position(cutoff, button) in an unopened/unraised pot, bring it in for a standard raise. If you hold Ax in one of the blinds, same play, raise into an unraised pot. I rarely ever open in an other positions with a dry ace, and will only call a raise with such a hand if I feel an opponent is making a desperation rais, or is attempting a steal.

In early to mid position, I generally fold, but it's a real situational thing. If I'm one of the big sracks at a table, I might bring it in for a raise if I'm first into a pot, but I'll rarely play them in multi-way pots, and will not limp into a family pot.

Like so many other decisions, there is no hard and fast rule that I follow, it's mainly situational.

Last edited:
H

h82b2nd29

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand the theory behind Ace rag, but my problem I am having is that more and more people I play against won't let the hand go if the ace hits and I normally get sucked out against it. I can understand for pot odds or you are in posotion, or stacked late in a tourny, but I mean when you have no reason to play the hand and you are involved against 2-3 people and a raise or reraise in front of you. I could never call 567 bets in a ring game to suckout on 4-6 outs. I dont get it. Just my rant.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're joking, right?

3- or 4-handed, A8s becomes a huge hand. Everything down to A2o is very much play- and raise-able.

While you wait around for A-Q and A-K I take down pot after pot unchallenged by raising every ace I get dealt. And when you do finally take a stand, I know I'm probably beat and won't lose a lot of money to you.

Goron

Goron

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace Rag...

I pretty much agree with everyone else about A-x is just bad poker. I think its the hand that will get the most people in trouble. Say you even have a pretty good A-10s, and your opp. has A-Q. Its just trouble hands.

Unless I have a load of chips and so does the orginal raiser. I might call with A- (2-5), to maybe flop a wheel that they cannot put you on. Also if the flop comes A 2 J. AK is gonna get smashed at this point and they cannot put you on calling a raise with a A-x Low.

But I would say in general in tournament play STAY away from A - x.

Only time I would even consider A-x. Is late in a tournament and short stacked its a good hand to go all in to just pick up the blinds. But only use this strategy from time to time.

-Pasha