How to play AQ???

B

Benego

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, long time no see, im having a sort of flue, virus or bacteria, i dont know whats wrong with me but im having hard time even being here now in fron of a laptop, not to mention playing... mental health and physical health are big part of playing poker!

Anyway, I tend to follow Conscious poker and controversial but smart guy Alec
He just uploaded hand of the day and i do not know how smart is his analysis in this one..

Give it a look if you want, if not, please, tell me, am i the only one who is strugling and lost many pots because of such hands as AQ, i started to insta fold it lol

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ how to play :D

I never play AQ early position, as it often wins small and loose big.
Playing out of position against multiple villains aint no fun.

Its a way better hand late poition where you can control the pot.

Good video though, like the aspect of thinking forward what to do
if x card hit turn.

Have a nice day out there ;)

B

BigJLittleJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought that was a great analysis & was educated by the video. I do prefer to go steady with the initial raise, & would most definately play this hand in any position. On the video a $20 dollar raise to me is someone winking at going all in & most times is put to the test. AQ is one of those hands that really must connect to actually do anything. The $20 raise is definately the biggest mistake here & turns the game into a fruit machine gamble as far as I'm concerned. We got told it's a loose table so raising will not shy those hands away a raise is supposed to do so there is no point. Basically AQ here should be played as any other playable hand & as such will disguise what the hand is too. A very well known, intresting spot.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ is a good hand, usually I play it from all positions, I avoid only in specific situations, like playing against many raise and reraise, and I do not like to pay allin against many players, but if it is against only one and depending on the situation I I'll pay.

There is not much error, usually if you hit A will have the second highest kicker possible, if you hit Q as the best kicker, and you still have the possibility of straight or flush, but caution is needed when playing with two pairs, since probably some other player can be straight draw or have already managed to make a straight.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The two cards you hold between your fingers have real potential, but as always in poker, there are many other criteria to consider. At first, think about preserving your chances of winning by being aggressive. That is to say that you have to make a big raise that will discourage the less important hands or the least bold players. In this way, you will minimize the number of opponents present at the time of the flop. Do not think that this poker strategy will earn you less, because its interest is to eliminate opponents who, thanks to the community cards, could pluck you!

AQ is a hand-trap. It can be very lucrative as disastrous. Keep your head on your shoulders and if the raises are too important or followed by several players, do not hesitate to fold.

In 70% of cases, you will not receive either of your two cards. It is at this moment that one must think and evaluate the opposing games. You may be facing bluffers, but also face big games! Be careful and do not get into a pot that climbs and will not come back to you.

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early position preflop I will min-raise with it. In middle position I tend to 3-bet it. On the button I may min-raise or I may 3 bet it, depending on the different scenarios that present themselves before my actual bet. I may throw it away in any position if I don't care for that specific scenario that I am in Example ( somebody shoves their whole stack of chips in when I know that they are an extremely tight player).

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ is a good hand. I'll play from any position but carefully early. It's an easy hand to make second best with.

devisam

devisam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A-Q is Not a Top 10 Starting Hand
No matter what charts you use, A-Q suited is in the top 10. The first thing to accept is that A-Q unsuited is not a top 10 hand but does make it into the top 20.

If you played ABC poker by following a chart of hands, A-Q suited (A-Qs) is one you would never play in early position and would only play in an unraised or unopened pot in middle to late position.

Being in the top 20 hands means that A-Qs and A-Qo are in the best 10% of possible starting hands.

Of all the possible starting hands, only 5.85% of all possible hands are equal in strength to A-Qo, or stronger than it. A-Qs is only beat by 3.77% of all possible starting hands.

The average for A-Q is 4.81%. For this article we're going to use 5% as our number.

One thing to know about poker is that your math and odds only have to be close. If you can get it within a percent or two, that's all you need to know.

As long as your decisions are +EV, the true amount doesn't matter. Being 64% or 65% to hit makes no difference to the hand or how you'll play it; don't sweat the exact math.

Should You Raise with Ace Queen?
Playing ABC poker, you will only ever be playing the top 20 starting hands. Just under 10% of the possible hands you can be dealt are playable in an ABC game.

On average you should be playing one hand per orbit, three hands per hour in live poker.

online poker play will have up to three times more hands dealt per hour on a single table.

If only 5% of hands are better than your A-Q, the odds are you have the most hand equity. With the most equity, you should be raising and pumping the pot.

If only 10% of hands are playable, and this is in the middle of those playable ones, it should by all means be played and be played hard. Unfortunately, poker isn't as straightforward as this. Things are never quite as obvious as they seem.

A great example I learned reading Mike Caro's new book Caro's Most Profitable Hold'em Advice. Years ago, before people really began to study poker, there was very little scientific advice and knowledge about the game.

At that point in poker's life, many top players believed that J-T suited was the best starting hand in poker. It was the highest suited connector possible with full straight potential. It doesn't "dead end" on the top end as Q-J would.

The Truth About AQ
If we look at A-Q only in the context of how it stacks up in the hand charts, I think we'll be missing some important aspects to the hand and working from only half-truths.

The truth is simple and obvious if we look at results from poker experience: A-Q does not win 95% of the time.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play it like you play AK. very aggressive preflop, then slow down if you don't hit top pair. the only difference is that you will likely lose a stack if you hit an ace and the villain has ak. so it's not as profitable as ak is.

A

AG04CAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ is a very playable hand at the micros.....from any position....against weaker players that think A2s is a great starting hand or A9o is king.

I play a little more cautious against the regs i play against but in those cases im playing the player not the cards.

if your opponent is passive or calling station then your only worried when they show any aggression....against maniac aggro fish i hit a Aor Q im check calling all the way

my advice is learn about the types of players your against as this dictates the lines your going to take by street again at micros..AQ is a strong hand against most micro players .... having said that if your a folding nit ill play anything dealt to me lol

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Problem is similar, but worse that with monster hands.
Very high preflop value, but easy to cost a lot of chips.

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ is a great hand but many of us are still looking how to master playing it. Soo many combos and so many playes to learn and keep on learning. GL at the table everyone!

Anton Fedorov

Anton Fedorov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ can be played differently, a lot depends on the discipline you play, cash or a tournament, your position at the table, the dynamics of the game at the table, how many players are after you, but in general AQs are certainly not bad, AQo is slightly worse, but also playable , in the cash I play through the open raise or 3bet, I call 4bet suited or pass off suited, well, nobody canceled the statistics on opponents.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will open fold with AQo one of 1000 times. Full ring, the first position (the "real" UTG), if there are only TAG players behind me. Cash game, not tournament.
I will fold some time vs big size 3bet OOP, if the player is very tight.
I sometime will call with Ace high two times, even three, what you talking about? AK is probably 3bet, even vs UTG. You have Ace high, but with the best kicker, most likely. Depends on the flop, you can bet for value, as bluff with outs, also sometime you can call with Ace high, showdown value with over cards. Check-fold on the flop is the my "last" option with this hand.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ reminds me of JJ, it's one of those hands that you are happy to see until you start running into some serious aggression.

Just remember to always try and play in position and maintain the pot based off the strength of your hand.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK, AQ, AJ and even ATo (late position) are very strong hands in this format. And they are big part from our range. Also the pocket pairs (66-JJ) are strong hands and they are 36 combos (3%). This is your "best" range. Unfortunately they are not so easy to play (like QJs). There are so many spots, when will be hard to make a decision. If you want to be a good poker player, you must to learn how to play with this hands. In the best way (or very close to that).
Which spots are good for one, double or triple barrels? Do I have 50+ equity against his range?
Which spots are good for bet, bet, check-call (missed draws)?
Which spots are good for bluff-catching? Even with Ace high...Call on one, two or even three streets.
Which spots are good for one, double or triple barrels , as bluff?

You must find the answers. And the "mission" will be 90% complete.

Last edited:
Cok1973

Cok1973

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
everytime with AQ i'm playing AllIn

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a good starting hand, against certain opponents, there are players who play with worse cards! Not always come AA

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a great starting hand in position against most opponents. However if you play to aggressively after hitting top pair betting into an opponent with stats below a 10 vpip. Your likely betting into a stronger hand. Maybe two pair, a stronger ace, a paired draw or set. How to play AQ correctly depends largely on the stats is the villian you are betting into. It's obviously a must bet preflop and 3 bet when in position 6 handed. Just keep playing and reviewing a couple hands from your session every time you play and your skill will eventually catch up with your effort.

Cheers

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
*correction...you are probably betting into a better hand if you play it out of position betting two streets, getting called on both, checking river and facing a.5 pot bet or bigger against said villian

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep in mind that the AQ are suited ! Bankroll?

Hey guys, long time no see, im having a sort of flue, virus or bacteria, i dont know whats wrong with me but im having hard time even being here now in fron of a laptop, not to mention playing... mental health and physical health are big part of playing poker!

Anyway, I tend to follow Conscious poker and controversial but smart guy Alec
He just uploaded hand of the day and i do not know how smart is his analysis in this one..

Give it a look if you want, if not, please, tell me, am i the only one who is strugling and lost many pots because of such hands as AQ, i started to insta fold it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeitSAhxfTA

Good video, I really don't know what I would have done myself except that it would be determined by my bankroll.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ is a good hand. Several times you find recreational that do not leave any Ax, that way you profit

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AQ i only play in position...there are great chances you were dominated with this hand...

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guy who basically is the Godfather of Poker says he wont even play AQ, that should give you pause. you are destined at some point to lose that big pot to AK.