How was my play? - am I spewing with my K5s by calling a preflop raise?

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Game 5-10 NL $2500 effective
hero btn with :kc4::5c4: and $2500 3 limpers, we decide to over-limp

the reason I over-limped is because this guy in the sb is selectively aggressive and he’s really deep and does 3bet more than any other players. So, I want to play pots with him because he makes mistakes post-flop.

Pre-Flop
sb raises to $75 (I expect him to have middle pair or AK, AQ type hands)
2 callers, I call too with my :kc4::5c4: but not looking to flop a King for TP and be in the no-man's land! I’m playing it to flop a big draw or a big hand.

OTF
4-way to the flop($300) :ac4::6c4::6s4: sb bets $150 (I put him on either an Ace or some sort of pair less than Aces. I could raise him but if he’s got an Ace he’s not gonna fold. I think my play should be to float him here and reassess on the turn. He’s not gonna bet twice without an Ace and for sure not with TT or some other pair. If he bets the turn then we fold to his “second action”. So, we called and all others fold.

OTT
Turn($600) :ac4::6c4::6s4::ah4: (this makes very unlikely he’s holding an Ace because there’s another Ace on the board. Also if he does have an Ace he probably will check here to disguise his hand because if he just bet and keep betting he’s just going to fold me up. So, if he does in fact checks I’m going to check back behind and if he bets the river I’ll know he’s got an Ace. If he doesn’t bets the river then I’m gonna be bluffing at him. So, that’s my plan. So, we’ll see what he does he checks, and I check too

OTR
river($600) :ac4::6c4::6s4::ah4::js4: opponent checks to us the second time. Now I’m sure he’s not got an Ace. I’m gonna fire $300 trying to fold him up of his hand because I don’t think King high is good if he’s got any pair bigger then a 6. Hopefully works. I fire $300 and he open folds :9d4::9s4:, we take the pot down and muck our hand. We don’t show.

We won $1100 in 5-6 hours
How was my play? - am I spewing with my :kc4::5c4: by calling a preflop raise?

Last edited:
B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I get this right, you limped bc SB 3bets wide and you wanted to call his 3bet?

V

Vitor Barbosa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He check OTT and OTR because you limp, he gives you a range with Ax. If he raise pre flop, maybe he doesn't laydown the 99... nice bluff

V

viyengar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
K5s on the button with EP limpers is definitely in my range. But I generally am not limping in with this hand if I choose to play. Usually depends on the flow of the game.

Post Flop - Call is acceptable play, but i would also throw in a raise 2 out of 3 times to take a free card.

Turn - Check back makes sense. his check allows you to narrow down his range to a middle pair.

River - you have to take a shot at the pot, but I am not sure if I am folding - clearly there is show down value. I am surprised he folded given your passive play.

Looks like your read about the SB making mistakes post flop was right.

Cheers

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I wanted to play the K5 from the button, j am likely raising st the chance of taking it preflop. If you get in ETh five players, your K5 is likely not playing all that well. Yes you had intel that SB would raise it up, but probably better more often than not to raise and take it pre. I think villain should easily have called OTR in which case you’re out a whole lot more than with a PFR.

M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you had a great read on the situation and did a nice job of taking advantage of it, that said, I hate the flat of the flop bet. You are in a 4 way pot at this point and gave everyone behind you a good price to overcall with any kind of equity they have. Even a small raise here denies those players equity, starts building a pot when you make the nuts, or helps you tell the story.

If you were under the impression those players were folding regardless due to their play style or live reads, then I think your flatting was absolutely right.

IamVALHALLA

IamVALHALLA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What does "spewing" mean? Sorry, not trying to derail. There are just so many terms I don't quite understand.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does "spewing" mean? Sorry, not trying to derail. There are just so many terms I don't quite understand.

Not playing optimally.

In this case the question is if K5s is correct hand to execute the plan.

M

martin17887

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good read of the situation - although K5 very loose lol

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I don't really agree with the way you played the hand, I wouldn't have limped pre, I woul've folded 2 times out of 5 and raised like 50$ the 3 other times. And I would've lost to a 3bet from the SB. (especially if I knew that SB is a selective aggressive player/because I would've wanted to isolate one of the limpers in the first place not to trap the SB with K5 suited) On the other hand, I think the villain's mistake was the size of the bet on the flop, (70-100$ would do the same job as 150$ does on that kinda flop) and a smaller bet on the flop would allow him to keep betting on the turn (sthg around 95-125$) because the 2nd ace would make it less likely that you have it and it would make you fold the turn (even if you expect him to check an ace, I'd say that you fold 80% of the time, unless you put him exactly on what he has and decide to make a move, then your bet on he river would be a very good one)
Given the way the hand was played, the fold on the river was the villain's 2nd mistake.

Anyway, I think no one can really answer you question except you or maybe someone who's been watching your game with you, since many details are to be considered to make the right play.
Nice hand.