How to play against those who go for a flush until the end?

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there! I was playing a microlimit table and it happened to me that with a third of queens I lost against a flush. The point is that I put very large bets to deter his project but it did not work. I've seen many players like that, they don't even care about odds and outs. So, what I would like to know is: If the opponent will get the color 1 of every 5 times approximately and to win the pot he has to pay a bet of the same size as the pot, then in the long run will I be winning when he pays me?

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bet the highest size he pays, keeping him inthe hand. Flush draw completes a flush about 18% from flop to turn and more 18% from turn to river, so it is a hand that lose most of times. Explore it and when he did hit, try to save your chips.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bet the highest size he pays, keeping him inthe hand. Flush draw completes a flush about 18% from flop to turn and more 18% from turn to river, so it is a hand that lose most of times. Explore it and when he did hit, try to save your chips.

So, making them pay an all-in in heads-up would be a profitable move?

D

Dj_demain_matin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there! I was playing a microlimit table and it happened to me that with a third of queens I lost against a flush. The point is that I put very large bets to deter his project but it did not work. I've seen many players like that, they don't even care about odds and outs. So, what I would like to know is: If the opponent will get the color 1 of every 5 times approximately and to win the pot he has to pay a bet of the same size as the pot, then in the long run will I be winning when he pays me?

You will encounter those types of players in microlimit tables a lot. Best way will be to bet the max allowed on every streets.

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about making them pay to draw, as lon as you don't give them 5:1 to call you are making the profitable play.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The question that you need to answer first is - are you feeling lucky? If yes, bet strongly since he's going to call no matter what you bet. If no, fold. You're gonna lose no matter what you do so why not cut your losses early.

giphy.gif

Seriously, QQ v many suited hands isn't as good as you may think. In a lot of cases he's actually right to call, or at least close enough that it isn't going to matter at a low stakes (under $10,000) table:

c497b3d608c5c0dfb51d8ea3ee8cbbab.png

50dc0c0a2898a3af8ea4a7b39b202149.png

Last edited:
N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Size your bets so that it's large enough to make it expensive to draw (to not give them the odds to draw) and small enough to make it appetizing to call. I believe long term success is playing aggressively and sizing your bets to tilt the odds in your favour as much as you can.

In another thread, someone told me that larger sized bets in microlimit tables works (but I presume that the higher level you go, the smaller of a CBet you'd go to get that people to bite and to work in your favour). So if you can get them to bite on pot-sized bets or larger on flush draws, then jump for joy and you'll be ahead of the game in the long run since you'll be ahead by the time someone does call and get the suckout.

Common poker wisdom is to not look at short-term results, but look at in the longer term. Easier said than done, I know... but it does take a lot of discipline. It's something I'm working on over on my end.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Either raise your hand all the time and be prepared to lose or if you are playing against passive player just check and hope for the best.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
So, making them pay an all-in in heads-up would be a profitable move?
Of course yes! Remember that flush draw has often 9 outs, so of he has two over cards too, or a top pair and etc, the scenario changes, because that is always important to do a good range analisys. But if you has a top pair against a pure flush draw that calls your all in on the flop, it is +ev ever.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Put down the hammer on the turn against players, that chase to much after draws, because draws are weaker at this point. Also sometimes check behind on the river, when the most obvious draw like a front door flush came in. For me, I feel, like I won, when I got them to pay a huge turn bet and gave them no payment on the end.

B

Babis VGS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just make good bet sizings. Flush will come 33% of the time until the river, nothing you can do about.

F

FlopGrinder

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You played the hand perfectly that is to get his money into the pot. Its callled run bad, when he hit the flush in the end.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You bet large enough, after the flop, so that any potential flush-mining caller is making a bad call to your bets on the turn and river, so much so that it would seem unrealistic for them to be on a flush draw. I think this is much easier to do in cash games than in the wild wasteland that exists with freerolls and tournaments.

K

killbello

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very ease, The only thing you can do is to bet big and hope it doesn´t hit. If it is, then is a very ease fold. Don´t worry, you will gain good money in the long run against these kind of players. Once you know them you can even bet overpot profitably.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Value bet them to death and charge them to draw. Don't be scared to bet, in case they hit it. By betting small you actually charge them the odds to correctly chase it. Bet big, and charge them. If it comes in, be prepared to just lay it down.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yes, don't be deterred. Poker is a marathon, not a sprint. You are playing it correctly.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just bet, bet, bet. Draw callers are my favourite people.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is not doing a mistake, if you call (or bet), when the flush comes. Check back more, fold more. Use the info....

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play these carefully if the flush or straight cards does not hit feel confident in youre hand and let them bluff all their chips to you if they do you must play the hand more cautiously

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Variance is actually in your favor if you bet.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately some players will chase a flush to the end and get lucky and get it.

Full Flush Poker