I think absolute minimum is around 30k.
I used 50k before I started analyzing my results for trends etc.
Just to give you an idea about how the winrate can change:
- my first 5k hands = 22.55 bb/100
, when adjusted according to $ EV Diff it came out to 7.33 bb/100
- next 32k hands = 5.43 bb/100
, adjusted 2.94 bb/100
- last 23k hands = -1.65 bb/100
, adjusted -0.42 bb/100
Funnily enough, there is a clear down trend in my results that correlates with my learning process but goes in the opposite direction.
This also includes luck
I think it is because:
1. I started massively overthinking things instead of just playing like a fish with a bit more brain than average
2. regular opponents got big hand samples on me and started abusing my leaks
3. I have an inflamed tooth and have been spewing in the last week since my patience is shot to hell (should have refrained from playing )
Overall I am at 4.1 bb/100 over 61k hands
so basically break even player or mildly profitable (before or after adjustment for EV).
I am satisfied with that for now and plan to continue working on my game.
Interestingly, I am doing well in tournaments although I have done ZERO learning about tournament strategies and am just using basic strategy that I came up with for freerolls
. Seems to work wonderfully in micro stakes tournaments and satellites.