How can i read if my opponent have Trips ?

B

brow02

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys , yesterday i was playing cash game and i saw a rare hand, i was in the SB with A-Ts
, UTG raise to 4BB, i called and BigBlind Folds, the flop was T-2-9, SB checks and i raise to 6BB, he called me, i though he had like K-Ts , Q-Ts or even 9-A or 9-Ts,9-Qs,9-Ks, anyways turn another T, i rase to 12BB he moves al-in and i called, and surprise mother****er :c he had 2-2 and got trips in the flop, so my question is, how can i read three of a kind ?:mad::confused:

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s happens. Nothing you could do
Lost to trips when I over played my 2 pair against a super tight player that does raise unless he has a monster

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys , yesterday i was playing cash game and i saw a rare hand, i was in the SB with A-Ts
, UTG raise to 4BB, i called and BigBlind Folds, the flop was T-2-9, SB checks and i raise to 6BB, he called me, i though he had like K-Ts , Q-Ts or even 9-A or 9-Ts,9-Qs,9-Ks, anyways turn another T, i rase to 12BB he moves al-in and i called, and surprise mother****er :c he had 2-2 and got trips in the flop, so my question is, how can i read three of a kind ?:mad::confused:

Welllllllllllllllllllll, you could have done a few things...

1. fold pre... The reason this is possible is because you're in the worst position possible facing a 4x raise from UTG they are opening with a hand that beats AT the majority of the time.

2. on the flop you didn't raise to 6bb you bet 6bb's you can't raise where there wasn't a bet. your bet on the turn is fine, some can argue to play small ball and check back the turn. I generally like to search for a little value with TPTK. against any worse T's and some pocket pairs.

3. again he must have checked and you bet on the turn, and that stinks that you had to hit a card that in your eyes is a good turn but really it's not a "good" card..... I mean you only improved against JJ+ which JJ+ is not playing the check call line the majority of the time so you can kinda rule that out. Which means the T on the turn means nothing......... because the hands already ahead of you improved as well and you were already beating everything else.

4. All that being said you still have to call when facing the all in. I mean against certain players I can def. find a fold but I'm paying off here most times. Mark it down as a cooler and move on.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
99% of the time I'm not good enough to find a fold here. I have a rule to consider someone tripping pocket pairs on every hand, but I rarely find the ability to resist the urge of my own trips. That being said, the one thing you've left out is the number of BB's you had vs. the all-in bet. By my math there's something like 35BB in the pot after your bet. If you're sitting on just another 20BB then I'd definitely call. but if you're being put all-in with 100BB left then that might put me into the 1% of the time I find a fold.

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did I do this to you? Been hitting with my ducks lol.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a pair on the board someone will usually have the trips and it is obvious, but when they have a small pocket pair it very hard to read, and the only thing you can do is try to keep the pot small.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
, how can i read three of a kind ?:mad::confused:

You can not read sets, when he has KTs, QTs you win when he has set you lose. Just make sure that he has enough worse than better hands and you make profit in the long run.

Last edited:
C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your supposed to lose to sets in this situation but AT does not fare well from the sb vs an utg open so it's probably a fold pre flop

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One way is getting a feel for your opponents at the table. Example might be a very conservative player who raises or check raises you viciously after the flop especially if this is not a standard form of his play repertoire. At that point in time big red flags should start coming up. Whatever ever you do don't shove your stack all in. Take a step backwards.Take a deep breath and try to figure out what is going on here. There's something that I'm not seeing. Good chance your opponent hit 2 pair or trips. this is especially true when you have a flop without straight or flush possibilities.

C

cypherpup

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone holding a small pocket pair like that is dangerous. The reason being especially if the board runs small cards is because they are more likely to hit their pocket pair for a set or trip (yes there is a difference) against you than if they were holding something midrange like 7s -10s. You didnt do anything wrong here you just ran into a player who did the same thing that I am sure most of us would do preflop and thats call the raise and see what comes. I am definitely guilty of doing it and even limp/raising preflop with a small pocket pair just to get more action into the pot pre-flop. Just chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on.

Zzzms

Zzzms

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

They never have it, just call and deal with the pain if they do in fact have it lol