How do you know when to get up?

T

trixsta

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Whether it be you are on a good run and you are stacking chips or you are getting clipped. How do you tell yourself it is time to go? Assuming you have no other constraints (I have work tomorrow, im tired, etc..) I am trying to build a bank roll, but this is one of my weaknesses. Where when i am up, i just want to continue playing and either get felted or play until the game breaks. How can i stop myself from doing this? Do i set goals each game of how much i want to be up? Or the minimum bullets i want to bring?

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
When things are going great you always want to keep playing. I have always find easier to stop when I am ahead though. I struggle the other way, when I am down I play to much trying to get back to even.

You should have a plan before the game. Both win and loss stop points e.g stop if loss 2 buyin or win 3 buyin. Also need a stop point with time, some people online do number hands instead of time.

Of course the easy part is setting the limits the real test is sticking to it.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you feel like you dont have an edge or you when you just dont feel like playing.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I play poker only then when I have enough free time and I am not in a hurry.
I do not play when I am tired or when I have a bad mood.
Good luck.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to have a goal. If I double up, I am taking a break. If I start running bad I'll stop for a while.

M

Mikeloti13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you cant beat someone. You will find yourself loosing to the same guy at the table over and over again. You need to stand up. If its a guy you regularly play with you need to go and make a strategy just for him. If not then you just get up and leave. It happens, someone at the time has some strategy that you are unable to beat at that moment. And thats okay.

M

mirrornick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when I know that I am on a massive tilt.

K

kceow2981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I usually do is get up when I double my money (unless there are 3 or more definite fish at the table like 40/0 VPIP/PFR) and I usually I only leave if I'm tilted or I lose like 2 buyins. I CERTAINLY lose if I'm tilted but the number also depends on if the table is soft or not because of its soft I'm very motivated to stay since you don't find that every day. There's a good general rule that you should not risk more than a certain percentage of your bankroll in one session. I think it's like 10% maybe? Though it might be lower

M

Mattyice1478

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online I always play for too long especially when im winning and ill typically lose some back but live ill typically play until i feel like it then mentally note last 5 or 10 hands to myself.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When frustration kicks in I make myself take a breather. No sense in tilting off any money or chips. Sometimes a quick bathroom break or bite to eat can make a world of difference. Playing too long can be a major leak. Have a stop loss, win goal, and time limit as well. I never chase my losses or try to hit a certain winning amount. Never force it if it’s not there.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm running bad or making bad plays I get up. There's not much to overcome these situations

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never know when to get up. This is why I often take losses. :/

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the game makes you feel like you have eaten too much cake. If you have lost multiple buy-ins at the structure that is not within normal variance. If your table image is ruined....these are all good reasons to call it quits.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash games

I get up from a table when I've had several good heaters and the table has changed enough to where I don't know anyone I have notes on so I leave a winner OR I can't catch anything but 2nd best hands.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need clear boundaries, at what plus and at what minus should you move away from the game

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you have to go with a number in your head, when you reach it, then go.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I start a long tournament then I select so that I have a lot of time for the game, I try to play in each tournament until the last moment until my card loses and I do not cure from the tournament when I finish the tournaments then I leave the game, or when there are no tournaments, then I limit myself from 2-3 hours to the game's cache and then go out of the game, I play a lot on the weekends and my game can drag on for days or more because on working days I'm at work and can not do much play!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the game does not go, you need to get up from the table. If it goes, you need to play until it turns out to be a winner.

S

step055

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should listen to your intuition. It never lies. If you feel that it's time to stop or you understand that you are loosing a game-it's better to stop playing and continue next time. In this case you won't be disappointed and will be able to enjoy playing Poker. The secret is that you should feel when it's better to stop.

R

Rolco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should listen to your intuition. It never lies. If you feel that it's time to stop or you understand that you are loosing a game-it's better to stop playing and continue next time. In this case you won't be disappointed and will be able to enjoy playing Poker. The secret is that you should feel when it's better to stop.

Well.. Listening to your intuition is how most tilters tilt. They need a plan.

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am on a good run, and crushing an individual in particular, I will continue to play to try to exploit their tilt / continue playing creative in positive mind state. I stop when I feel my luck changing or my emotions taking over even slightly.

oleg8519

oleg8519

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
if it doubled, I think it's time to get up. If there is fish at the table, you can stay

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Whether it be you are on a good run and you are stacking chips or you are getting clipped. How do you tell yourself it is time to go? Assuming you have no other constraints (I have work tomorrow, im tired, etc..) I am trying to build a bank roll, but this is one of my weaknesses. Where when i am up, i just want to continue playing and either get felted or play until the game breaks. How can i stop myself from doing this? Do i set goals each game of how much i want to be up? Or the minimum bullets i want to bring?
When I recognize I’m tired, sick, worried about external issues I simply don’t even open the tables.
However when I’m playing my best game and lose because of the variance I simply continue playing.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
you need to be able to stop if you've played a couple of tournaments and you feel tired or you need to go somewhere tomorrow, it's better to go to bed and not waste time to take your time later

Stringy

Stringy

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i tend to give back gains a lot so i tend to exit when i'm up by a bit and buy in again smaller