How do you handle 3 bets from the blinds?

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your on the button or cutoff (no limpers) and raise 3x and you run into an opponent who 3 bets you from the blinds. If you had AK AQ AJ or AA-99 what would you do?

The toughest situations i'm finding my self is when I have AK or AQ and AJ. Do you ever 4 bet with AK or AQ? Would you fold AQ in this spot? Do you just call with AK and AQ in this spot?

JJ-99 find those hands very difficult in this spot. Would call with JJ and fold the 10s and 9s What would you do? Any advice? Thanks. 3 bets are a leak in my game that needs to be filled lol

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It really depends on the villains in the blinds and what your opening range is and your image.

Deep stacked against reasonable opponents. I am 4 betting with something like TT+, AK, K5s, Q7s, KTo, A9o, A5o. And calling with my good suited connectors and off suit broadways and folding the rest of the opening range. Basically my best hands and hands not quite good enough to call.

Against nits who are calling stations, I am folding all but my best hands. Against nits who will fold to big bets I am going to call slightly more. Against maniacs I am 4 beting almost my whole range.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you table image is such that the player in the blinds may have you pegged as positionally aware he might think that you are opening light; therefore, testing you. You might consider 4-betting him with your entire range depending on the frequency that you are getting into this scenario with him.

That said, the range that you have provided as an example is pretty tight for the cut-off/button when first to enter. If you don't 4bet and instead flat the 3bet from the blinds, what is your plan when you don't hit anything? Can you fire 99-JJ with one overcard on the board? two overcards?

Like anything in poker, everything is "it depends."

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deep stacked against reasonable opponents. I am 4 betting with something like TT+, AK, K5s, Q7s, KTo, A9o, A5o. And calling with my good suited connectors and off suit broadways and folding the rest of the opening range. Basically my best hands and hands not quite good enough to call.

I try to understand ranges, failing miserably, I suppose bc they are too complicate to me to see inside head simultaneously.

You say 4bet A9o and A5o, do you call A9s and A5s against aggressive 3bet? or what is the reason to include them.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes I would call with all my Axs because they are strong enough to call. I am 4 betting A9o and A5o (As well as K5s, Q7s, KTo) as bluffs to balance my 4 betting range.

I also am working on visualizing my ranges while playing. It takes a lot of practice and repetition. Keep trying and eventually it will start to get easier.

Check out this tool to help visualize your ranges
http://floattheturn.com/wp/tools/range-analyzer/

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your on the button or cutoff (no limpers) and raise 3x and you run into an opponent who 3 bets you from the blinds. If you had AK AQ AJ or AA-99 what would you do?

The toughest situations i'm finding my self is when I have AK or AQ and AJ. Do you ever 4 bet with AK or AQ? Would you fold AQ in this spot? Do you just call with AK and AQ in this spot?

JJ-99 find those hands very difficult in this spot. Would call with JJ and fold the 10s and 9s What would you do? Any advice? Thanks. 3 bets are a leak in my game that needs to be filled lol

Hey. In late positions, players earn the most money. On the part of the opponent, if you folding more than 64% of hands, then he can do 3-bet with any cards and get an automatic profit. X > (8 / (4.5 + 8)), X > 64%. Therefore, you must protect a wide range of hands. Suppose you raise from 34% [22+, A2s +, KTs +, QTs +, J9s +, T8s +, 97s +, 86s +, 75s +, 64s +, 54s, A2o +, KTo +, QTo +, JTo, T9o, 98o, 87o, 76o] of hands. So you should calling with more than 12% of hands (0.34 * 0.36). Suppose these 14% [22+, A2s + KQs, QJs, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, AQo+]
. 4-bet with good hand doesn't make much sense, 'cause he can't make the post-flop bluffing bets. But if this is a stupid asshole, then you can make a 4-bet shove with AA, KK. On the post-flop you can calling with any hand and bet on the turn if he checks. Or make a raise-all-in on the flop with a strong draw (vs. tight opponent). The main idea is that you need to play a lot more IP.

R

ricardibreezer

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i raise on the button and i get reraised by a player on the blinds i like to 4-bet, (depending on my hand). There are a few reasons for this:

1. I have a loose range on the button, so it's only natural that eventually players on the blinds will defend.

2. I rarely have less than 100bb, so 3 & 4 betting preflop (levelling) is something my stack allows me to do.

3. If i have something like a suited A or K 10, how my opponent responds to a 4bet will give me a better idea where I'm at. If he shoves, I'm obviously beat or dominated & will fold. If he calls, he probably wasn't defending with weak holdings but probably isn't holding aa or kk either. My opponent calling a 4 bet preflop makes for a big pot and will be tricky to play the rest of the way, but more so for villain as we have position.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands