How do you fold?

V

vax1op369

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been calling to many all ins and losing. How do you fold? What goes through your mind before making a fold to a significant bet?

F

Forbesy604

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not an easy question to answer

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's where note keeping helps. Unless you know a guy bluffs alot, it's best to fold. Read the board texture and think what he's repping.

It's also ok to check call when you have a good but not great hand.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Practice. Try playing a freeroll or a play money sit n go. Fold every marginal hand except when you're on the button, then raise with most anything. Get the feel for the power of position and stop calling everything chasing a straight that doesn't exist.

Jooseme

Jooseme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is a loaded question - Making a tight (correct) folds is what makes a great player.

R

Rskeyyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when somebody raise i try to call expecting that he/she will go all-in, so i try to call with good hands. and if flop is bad for me i can fold easily.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

analyze your opponent and make the best decision taking into account the style of the opponent ...

A

alkshy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you calling all ins and losing to better hands? That might come down to experience and knowing, at whatever limits you're playing, what players are capable of. Try to figure out if players around you are calling a lot or if they're playing more "fit or fold" post-flop. Also really keep in mind your position relative to the button, it's extremely important, the button WILL BE your most profitable position at the table in the long run, so abuse that, play a lot of hands in position, it gives you the advantage in the hand.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 easy questions to find a fold, or call.

What does villain likely have based on play? (Logical deduction)

What can I beat? (Dont include air)

Do I beat more than enough of his likely hands that calling is expected to be profitable? (Estimate is good enough)

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Analysis of opponents range and history is key. Keep notes or use a HUD. There is great info available about the villain that can tell you to fold. If they never play a hand and all of a sudden are betting and raising then that’s easy fold. Some folds aren’t so easy to come to and practice and playing more and more in those situations will help you read when it’s time to fold. I often ask myself what can I beat? If it’s not much then it’s a no brainer. Poker is a game of decision making. The ones who win the most have the best ability to make the right choices. Sometimes finding a fold is clearly the best option. I often ask myself if I call (a big hand / raise) and I’m wrong will I be happy with the calling hand tomorrow. If I’m gonna second guess myself later, then it’s easier to find the fold now.

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been calling to many all ins and losing. How do you fold? What goes through your mind before making a fold to a significant bet?

If you think long about the call, then fold.

Hey. I mentally go back to the beginning of the game. Then I look at the approximate hands that I'm destroying and if there are a lot of them, I guess I'm calling. If the opponent is unlikely to play that way with the hand that I'm killing, then definitely fold. If you play with a very good player and don't know what to do, then take the time to study combinatorics. You will count the percentage of combinations that destroy you. Almost all players do not balance the size of bets. So take more notes to quickly fold.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're playing freerolls, early people are going to be loose and shoving with a face card with any decent kicker hoping for a quick double/triple up so they can coast/bully till mid way through, hell some even 9x their chips and can sit out till the bubble.

Don't follow the sheep unless you have A/A, K/K or A/K suited. Anything less and the likelihood of being sucked out multi-handed is way too high - and likely. Only shove when you're overwhelming favorite.

Sit it out, play solid poker and you'll be at the money more often than they will be.

If you're talking mid/late you need to know your players ranges, how they bet when they have something and play in position with your ranges. You're going to get sucked out. If you're in doubt, sit it out and wait for another.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/what-hands-do-we-start-playing-373155/

The above thread has some good info in it from myself (wider range) and a tighter player specific to MTT play.

When it comes to actually laying something down it really does depend on the player and the board. Get support software and start collecting info on everybody you play with. Use notes and start spotting tells (yes there are tells online).

Cash I don't really play all that much, so can't really help.

ederato

ederato

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I would fold if the person's bet covers the entire value of my bankroll and the cards do not favor. It's stupid to try to pay a bet to see if the person is bluffing or not. If you see what you have three cards on the board of the same suit, and there is no possibility of you flush or Full house, you have no reason to bet, bluff, because the risk is high to lose the hand.

The same happens when you have a pair on the board. You wonder if the person can have a Three of a Kind or a Full House.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give exact situations and then we can find out together how you should have played. Without any facts it is difficult to say anything. At the same situation you can both fold and raise. Depends on the situation actually.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to first think about the hands that can beat me starting with the nuts down to what I have. Then start to eliminate the hands they could not have based off there table image and playing style. Then I compare it to my remain stack, if there is a 2:4 chance they could have a hand that beats me. Well to call is risking 50% of my stack. So to me it would be worth it at the very top of my range. Now lets say his all in was worth 75% of my stack. At that point its not worth it, and its a good fold, and wait for another spot. but if you evaluate that they could only have 1:4 possible hands that could beat you. Then you have odds to call.

D

domdiego

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on several factors: your position, cards in hand? if they give you 3 Bet? if you are bluffing for example with marginal cards, you must fold, if you have AK and open at table 10, J, 8 for example you can give a semi bluff, now you have to be careful with flush draws and some bad beat. but most of the time if you have monsters cards go all in

Filip Krstevski

Filip Krstevski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not an easy question to answer but most of the people on the certain stage of the tourney you playing, just ask yourself "is it worth after 2-4hours playing to get busted with AK or some low pocket pair" for example :). If you really don't want to fold them try to 3bet and see if he goes all-in just fold.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not an easy question to answer but most of the people on the certain stage of the tourney you playing, just ask yourself "is it worth after 2-4hours playing to get busted with AK or some low pocket pair" for example :). If you really don't want to fold them try to 3bet and see if he goes all-in just fold.
The answer is yes to that question. If you're not willing to put everything on the line then you shouldn't be playing no limit MTT's at all - you should be playing PLH or something like that. But there is a difference between reckless and aggressive.

If he shoves and you know your hand, in most situations is an overwhelming favorite, it probably still is right now. There is an argument to be made for satellite play, but that's another story. But remember, A/K is a drawing hand, it's not made yet. Any pocket pair greater than jacks has you beat between 60-80% of the time and anything less is a coinflip you being a very slight favorite.

Learning the math will help you fold A/K when it's obvious somebody is holding a pocket pair. If you're on the bubble a lot of people will raise all-in with marginal hands to protect it, not because they have a monster - most likely to steal the blinds. In MTT play, if you see somebody going all in from utg and is under avg stack, he's probably bluffing to steal blinds and protect his stack. Same with bubble/cutoff players - their ranges are naturally wider than most. Remember that.

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be a raiser, not a caller.I want to win, so I try to push down my emotions into a cold dark place while I make dispassionate decisions. Mostly.
Sometimes, my gut calls and it's time to gamble.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmm

If it's 3 way action and you want gamble call all in with with 4-6 of diamonds if their tight hand have ak to QQ .Call with aces or QQ if their lose think a step ahead of their range differential. Also dont call all of your chips with 89 suited or whatever just call their all in if you have them covered say 5 x to gamble.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always tell everyone, because you are with this opponent who is fighting spent some time at the poker table! During the game you have drawn conclusions about the style of his game, just need to see what cards on the table! If there is a losing situation, I throw away the cards without any regret and start thinking about the next game! If you are fixated on each hand, you will lose the rest of the chips! All thoughts leave at the time when you analyse games you have played.

Folding in Poker