How do u know u r facing downswing ?

S

siwanat99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How does it look? and how long does it take . what's ur longest downsing (How many hands) and how many Buy-ins u r down
is it possible that u r facing downswing 100k hands maybe just breakeven or lose some

If somebody won after 100k hands can u say he's winning player on his stake he played.

Last edited:
zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I know I'm facing a Downswing, I sign up at Upswing poker :)

PS: Just joking, I would never spend my own money on poker courses and don't recommend it to anyone else either.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Downswing

How does it look? and how long does it take . what's ur longest downsing (How many hands) and how many Buy-ins u r down
is it possible that u r facing downswing 100k hands maybe just breakeven or lose some

If somebody won after 100k hands can u say he's winning player on his stake he played.

Hello there siwanat99, thank you for your great question!
A Downswing looks very ugly: you will feel yourself the worst player in the world, you will feel you know nothing about poker and should immediately stop.
It is very ugly because we are going to be beat on those sweet spots where we are 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 and even 90/10: we know we are facing a downswing when we are OTT with 80-90% equity, Villain shoves, we pays and Villain hits whatever OTR, it happens all the time but when we are losing for a long period of time we start to get very sad or angry.
My biggest downswing was 120 K without hitting a flip, my AA, KK who went all-in PF vs trash cracked a lot, no bluffs pass no matter what and if we are not very prepared we want to give everything up.
When we are losing a lot of buy-ins and our winrate seems to be breakeven, we are losing a little bit more then winning, but we should not care for that!
As long as you are not tilted, too much sad or too much angry because you are losing over and over, do not stop playing based on recent results!
Have a solid bankroll Management is the sole basis for a solid emotional control.
IMO, we can never say a player is a winner at poker if it didn't play at least 1 million hands, because the variance between 10 k hands means nothing, even the most idiot Whale of the world can make huge ammounts of winrate in such a small sample, 100 k hands means that you are beginning to play poker and can have very positive or negative results, but none of them will tell/prove that you are good or bad.
Try to play as serious as you can, take poker as a personal business you are investing time, patience and decicating to achieve success.
If you see you are losing more buy-ins and you cannot control your emotions anymore, please, I strongly recommend you quit playing for at least one week or so, and don't think about poker for a couple of days!
If you moved up to another stake and you are being beat everytime, do not be proud and stop leveling, just move down the poker chain, there is no shame on doing it, it happens with the most successful poker player til students like us, let your ego aside.
Sometimes we face a downswing because we lost emotional control during one session, where we could not forget (our ego keeps telling on our heads to try to recover our losses, when we have nothing to recover), and then every session we enter with wrong thought process, we are going to lose.
Identify which spots/situations causes you to lose control and stop on the first sign of emotional disturbance. We need to be as cold as ice to be playing poker or not at all, we go for Netflix or Video-Games to relax.
This is a very large and complex subject, I am just at the top of the iceberg here, but I hope it helps you. If you have anything to ask, please do not hesitate!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

S

siwanat99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there siwanat99, thank you for your great question!
A Downswing looks very ugly: you will feel yourself the worst player in the world, you will feel you know nothing about poker and should immediately stop.
It is very ugly because we are going to be beat on those sweet spots where we are 60/40, 70/30, 80/20 and even 90/10: we know we are facing a downswing when we are OTT with 80-90% equity, Villain shoves, we pays and Villain hits whatever OTR, it happens all the time but when we are losing for a long period of time we start to get very sad or angry.
My biggest downswing was 120 K without hitting a flip, my AA, KK who went all-in PF vs trash cracked a lot, no bluffs pass no matter what and if we are not very prepared we want to give everything up.
When we are losing a lot of buy-ins and our winrate seems to be breakeven, we are losing a little bit more then winning, but we should not care for that!
As long as you are not tilted, too much sad or too much angry because you are losing over and over, do not stop playing based on recent results!
Have a solid Bankroll Management is the sole basis for a solid emotional control.
IMO, we can never say a player is a winner at poker if it didn't play at least 1 million hands, because the variance between 10 k hands means nothing, even the most idiot Whale of the world can make huge ammounts of winrate in such a small sample, 100 k hands means that you are beginning to play poker and can have very positive or negative results, but none of them will tell/prove that you are good or bad.
Try to play as serious as you can, take poker as a personal business you are investing time, patience and decicating to achieve success.
If you see you are losing more buy-ins and you cannot control your emotions anymore, please, I strongly recommend you quit playing for at least one week or so, and don't think about poker for a couple of days!
If you moved up to another stake and you are being beat everytime, do not be proud and stop leveling, just move down the poker chain, there is no shame on doing it, it happens with the most successful poker player til students like us, let your ego aside.
Sometimes we face a downswing because we lost emotional control during one session, where we could not forget (our ego keeps telling on our heads to try to recover our losses, when we have nothing to recover), and then every session we enter with wrong thought process, we are going to lose.
Identify which spots/situations causes you to lose control and stop on the first sign of emotional disturbance. We need to be as cold as ice to be playing poker or not at all, we go for Netflix or Video-Games to relax.
This is a very large and complex subject, I am just at the top of the iceberg here, but I hope it helps you. If you have anything to ask, please do not hesitate!

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

thank you so much . Actually I don't care much about bad beat even 95/5 I'm tilted when I make a bad decision not badbeat
but yeah sometime I felt like I'm the worst like u said I know nothing I'm just lucky at first
but don't worry I'll keep playing and learning just want to know what people think

costy1300

costy1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I lose several hands with big cards in my hand such as AA, KK, QQ, AK etc, I'm sure I'm in decline, my fate just doesn't make me smile.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Downswing prevention, tilt prevention

To prevent downswing affecting my bankroll, one has to compartmentalize. Compartmentalize your bankroll by only risking what you could care less about. Some could care less losing a hundred, fifty, twenty, and down to lesser amounts.
I care about any losses, so MTT, sit and go; no cash games.

Tilt is prevented by an overall outlook. If I remember that poker is just a game, my life will go on, win or lose. Try not to get too wrapped up in an a game where if you're lucky, you will break even.