How do I get the max?

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So As I tell how this hand played out I will wait for a response to see what decisions you would have made, then I will continue with what I actually did. Maybe I played it bad, maybe I was just lucky. Either way I did not get the max.

I am in a $2/5 game that is playing 9 handed. The “button” has a $10 straddle on as I am UTG. It folds to me and I look down at AJs, & make it $35 to go(I have just about $1,200 effective). I get 4 callers, and we are on our way to a flop (pot $147). The flop comes Qs 9s 8c. What do I do next?

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
o would raise the pot personally

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats a very draw heavy board and making a raise might get 2 of the 4 to fold .AJ suited against aq off is 47%, but as long as there is a third caller i do see some equity in a check call but betting this flop is asking for a reraise and be ready to see some 2 pair and straights from the late position callers that got a good price preflop with q8 suited and j10 suited

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thats a very draw heavy board and making a raise might get 2 of the 4 to fold .AJ suited against aq off is 47%, but as long as there is a third caller i do see some equity in a check call but betting this flop is asking for a reraise and be ready to see some 2 pair and straights from the late position callers that got a good price preflop with q8 suited and j10 suited

So I make a C-bet of $65 into $147. Being that this is a draw heavy board and I am holding all draws with an over as well I like my bet.(but if I get called I know an Ace is gonna hurt me more than help.). MP raises to $250, and the other two players muck. What is the best play at this point? Effective stacks at this point... me- $1,100+\- villain- $800

Last edited:
blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a nut flush draw and a gutshot str draw I would actually look to get it all in on the flop against multiple villains.

I would lead out if I think someone will raise and there will be callers. I would then reraise all in.

On the other hand, if I think someone behind me will bet and there are passive players who will likely call behind the bettor and me, I would check then raise all in.

Basically I want as much money committed to the pot as possible before I shove it in there.
------

EDIT: So as I was typing my reply you made a new post, and I did not see that.

With the new info as played I am shoving it.

By the way, you said there were 4 callers so that means it was 5 to the flop. How come you say "the other two" players fold. What happened to the fifth player?

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a nut flush draw and a gutshot str draw I would actually look to get it all in on the flop against multiple villains.

I would lead out if I think someone will raise and there will be callers. I would then reraise all in.

On the other hand, if I think someone behind me will bet and there are passive players who will likely call behind the bettor and me, I would check then raise all in.

Basically I want as much money committed to the pot as possible before I shove it in there.
------

EDIT: So as I was typing my reply you made a new post, and I did not see that.

With the new info as played I am shoving it.

By the way, you said there were 4 callers so that means it was 5 to the flop. How come you say "the other two" players fold. What happened to the fifth player?

I’m sorry, I misspoke I meant to say 4 players total.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So the pots 202$ after your 65$ bet ,he clicked pot making the flush draw pay heavy.... so lets do math! 47% to win As Js vs AQ flop:Qs 9s 8c 36.97%=6.36% tie vs J10 42.83%=0.91% tie vs Q8
since the pot is so small your fold equity is actually quite high.If we give the opponent a range he does this with and it looks like those 3 hands #1 a reraise will not make him fold so shoving over him being the 47% at best is a long term losing plan Unless you think he would fold 2 pair you're not stealing this pot.Calling a pot sized reraise here hoping for a spade is bad, and just like you said an ace polly wont help.So its a fold since even implied odds(800$ villian stack) that you'll get your whole stack in on the river is such a fine line of profit IF he even decides to shove when the flush does hit. I like your cbet but i think this might be a fold in my book

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and dont even get me started on SPR! the flop SPR was like an 8!

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
and dont even get me started on SPR! the flop SPR was like an 8!

I end up making a call (pot $647) and we are now off to a turn. The turn comes Ad (board: Qs 9s 8c Ad). Should I check or jam? Those are my only options.

S

Stacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet problay check call the turn with the A d coming and jam of its a spade on the river

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would bet problay check call the turn with the A d coming and jam of its a spade on the river

I check the turn to him expecting a jam on his part. He goes into the tank for about a min. And he checks back! At this point I instantly put him on two pair, and I think he’s afraid I already have the straight. So if I don’t make my hand on the river I think I can take the pot with a bluff jam, and that is what I intend to do.
The river comes the 2s. So I make the nut flush. I don’t jam here because I’m afraid it will be too obvious that I made the flush and I won’t get a call. So I bet $500 into a pot of $647. Villain goes into the tank for about 2min. Then before he mucks, he shows Qc 8c (he had two pair). My question is, was my bet sizing on the river too big? Should I have bet around $325? Or had villain given up on the hand by the turn and was hoping for a showdown. How do get the max? I feel as though I may have left money on the table? Or did I get the max?

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If It were me i would check If the villain bet i would pay If the 10 appear i would bet If It did not appear i would give up good luck !in games.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you did not get the max> Its nice that you won the pot but when you think about your call on the flop of 17% flush draw and when it did hit the action immediately died. to get the max profit here running the same hand 100 times with different turns and rivers would be a fold on flop. But hey everybodys poker game is different GL on the tables

C

Cstarker27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you did not get the max> Its nice that you won the pot but when you think about your call on the flop of 17% flush draw and when it did hit the action immediately died. to get the max profit here running the same hand 100 times with different turns and rivers would be a fold on flop. But hey everybodys poker game is different GL on the tables

The action Died of the Turn, not of the flop. I think its hard for most players to fold a flop that comes out as favorable as it is. Regardless of what the flop bet is. If “V” jams on the flop I’m not sure how I could get away. Maybe that’s just bad playing on my part, but my play does not allow for me to fold there. Maybe I should have just jammed on the flop after he raised me?

Your insight is much valued and appreciate the professionalism of the response, and not making rude/disrespectful comments.