The Help Robbie Thread

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right we are going to use this thread to sort out Robbie's game. I will act as his mentor in this process, and other players are welcome to join in. First things first linking him to this thread.
You will find here Cardschats OWN strategy section. Reading some of these articles would be a good place to start. I suggest working your way through them in order.

https://www.cardschat.com/poker-strategy.php

Ok the mistakes I saw you making at the tables.

1.You limp almost every hand. You should never limp EVER unless you have a really aggro guy behind you ready to act and you want to see a flop with a small pocket pair.

2. You play far too many starting hands. I have a tracking software called pokertracker4 and it tells me you were playing over 68% of your hands. That is just HUGE. in 6max you want to be looking at playing 25% of your hands or less. For yourself, I would cut it down to even less until you get more experience playing "speculative hands" such as 78suited etc.

3.You need to learn pot odds, and you should never be calling to hit a flush if you don't have the correct odds to call. Read strategy articles on "pot odds" Also the board had 3 kins on it, that means any pair beats your flush. Don't bet your flush all in on these boards.

4. Calling too much pre flop. If the hand is good enough for a call, is it good enough for a raise?

5. Finally you should look up the importance of "position" at a poker table. Position is THE single biggest factor when sitting at a table.

Last edited:
R

Robbieleiby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Help me ;)

Awesome mate thanks for that! Will have a read through at a later date and sort out some things! Definitely want to improve my game!

Okay cool I will take those into account definitely and reduce the amount of hands I play with! Also I'm looking at getting some tracking stuff once I get a new laptop soon which will be helpful I'm sure!

Rob

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 and 4 is wrong. You shoukd rarely limp but rhere are times for it. Also, some hands ARE good enough to call. If CO raises your button is the only time your defending is when you 3 bet? Same with the blinds, if yes, that is pretty exploitable. You need some flats in these spots.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 and 4 is wrong. You shoukd rarely limp but rhere are times for it. Also, some hands ARE good enough to call. If CO raises your button is the only time your defending is when you 3 bet? Same with the blinds, if yes, that is pretty exploitable. You need some flats in these spots.

Dont tell me im wrong..and Stop confusing him you are mentioning tactics are are far too advanced for rob, i, we are dealing with a 68/1 vpip/pfr and you want to start with that? Walk before you can run :s obviously calling is fine in some spots im merely pointing out there is a raise button and it should be used. And i explained when limping is ok.
Add, "lots of other limpers in pot and you hold AXs" to your limp range.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small hand, small pot. Big hand, big pot. Dont go broke with just a pair. Dont marry your queens on a A high board. Dont go broke in a limped pot. Read Doyle Brunsons Super System

Baby steps

R

Robbieleiby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically, play much tighter and more in position hands? And don't limp in so much! I think I should also get one of them poker trackers and odds calculators or something!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What was your reason for stopping using a hud

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was your reason for stopping using a hud

I'll be moving over to partypoker where HH's aren't saved so I wouldn't have any use for a tracker now anyway. But other than that I find I focus a lot more on a greater number of factors when not using a HUD. It also gets me more acclimated to playing without one which is useful for when I start playing live more often.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok cool, for me a hud is just essential, can route out the fish and profile them almost straight away. Hate what stars are doing to their site, but will I go anywhere else? Probably not yet.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes well I get the impression that the industry direction will lead to the banning of pretty much all third party software in the future anyway. If I can't handle the party software I'll probs just head back to Stars and HUD it up lol.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe, but then when no one is using huds a site will then be like "hey we allow huds" and everyone will move there. At least I hope ;p

R

Robbieleiby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeh I'm not a huge fan of them but I guess if I'm gonna start playing online I will have to use one otherwise you're just at a massive disadvantage to anyone that has one! I am looking to start playing more live poker though as I feel it's just a better way too learn and play!

R

rlzaleski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play a lot more hands for a lot less risk online. Most people I know say playing online helped their game.

Better to loose $3 in 1/2 cent than 200 in $1/2 live.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a big difference between open limp and limping behind. I think you need to clarify the difference between the 2.

Open limp is when you call pre flop UTG or everyone before you folded meaning you are the first player to voluntarily put any money into the pot. You should almost never open limp, min raise is fine to open a hand.

Limping behind is when someone before you has already open limped before your turn and now you also decide to just call the big blind instead of raising. There is NOTHING wrong with doing this depending on the situation and in fact it is actually quite important for a beginner to do this with weaker hands like small pocket pairs and other speculative hands.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4. Calling too much pre flop. If the hand is good enough for a call, is it good enough for a raise?

TheGenera1 is very correct on this, and other things. But I had to learn this the hard way. When you call with a hand in early position that is not a good starting hand, and you get a raised, the first thing you want to do is defend your money. So you are just putting more money in the pot to lose. So, like he said, position is very important at the table. Before you call, or raise, ask yourself if the hand is good enough for the position you are in.
Now this is something I've seen a lot, and I hope you won't do it, because it will cost you a lot. When a player before you makes a 3 or 4 bet and you look down at 55 and you are in late position, call or fold. Don't re-raise all in. I see so many players do this and I wonder why the raise when they could see the flop for whatever the bet is. Anyway, you are doing right by asking for help. There is so much to learn, so you just have to take baby steps. GL to you

J

JACQUI

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also became the help Jacqui thread, I know what I am supposed to do, but sometimes actually doing it is the issue, like not tilting when ive had a shit run or knowing that I should fold a hand but im just too attached and get sick of the river rats following my raises and hitting and then if I ever do I get nothing, god they make me mad.
well that just kind of turned into a rant. haha

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also became the help Jacqui thread, I know what I am supposed to do, but sometimes actually doing it is the issue, like not tilting when ive had a shit run or knowing that I should fold a hand but im just too attached and get sick of the river rats following my raises and hitting and then if I ever do I get nothing, god they make me mad.
well that just kind of turned into a rant. haha

Maybe we can all help you, need a bit more information thought, what level are you at have you managed to beat any limit at all over a large sample size etc

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would like to add one thing which I always say to beginners who play a ton of hands.

With the exception of Ax hands don't ever play off suit hands with a gap of 3 or more cards.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

J

JACQUI

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play .10-.25 on pokerstars or tournaments, I usually turn a fairly good profit, what I was saying is that it just pisses me off when everybody else always seems to follow to the river and hit their set or fluke a flush but whenever I actually decide to hold onto a hand for whatever reason (usually if im in a tilty mood, however.. ) I hardly ever hit. Just feels so rigged sometimes. You know like a donk calls when they have bottom pair on the flop when you have top 2, you raise, they call, pots still yours on the turn you raise a decent amount again, and again they call, and then end up with something stupid like hitting trip 3s on the river. The same with people who will dump all in with something like 27off when youve got AKsuited and they flop a fullhouse. :mad:
sometimes I just prefer things like razz and 2-7 triple, far less donkeys.
My main issue is just not getting mad and playing cause I tilt and not getting over committed to a hand.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm from personal experience people who use evasive phrases such as " I usually turn a fairly good profit" aren't being entirely honestly with them selves :p Winning players can tell you down to the last cent exactly how much they have made. Also mentioning it feels rigged? Think you need to drop down, buy some tracking software and beat the micro's for a good winrate. And why on earth would you want to move to games where there are LESS donkies? donkies are what allows me to beat 2nl for 30/bb over a 21k hand sample while running well below AIEV :S
If I'm totally wrong, please correct me but also please don't take offence I'm offering what I think is probably sound advice,

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How are we supposed to Help Robbie if we have no information about him? I don't see another thread with that info.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's true. It started out about Robbie, but he has said nothing else. Now we got JACQUI. And I simply agree with TheGenera1 on what he said.