Lol, I'm not a very good HU player Ken, my game can certainly use some help in that area and in all shorthanded situations as well, therefore you should certainly value answers you get from other members as superior than mine, and I'll keep checking your post since I'm very interested to know those answers in the hope to improve my game.
That said, I'm going to try to answer your question. Lets start with some math. The chances of your opponent having a bigger pocket pair than yours are 5.6%. Needless to add, in those situation you are a serious dog. It also means that in the other 94.4% you will be in race in which you are a slight favored (I believe a 53 to 47 favored, correct me anyone if I'm wrong). So, by going all-in, your expectation to win this hand is just a little better than 50%.
If my math is correct, the proper action if I'm
involved in this hand is to raise all-in. That because you said that the opponent is a very solid player, where instead in HU I'm not. Common wisdom says that, if you're the better player, you should avoid coin flip situations. In this case, since he's certainly better than me, he should fold to my all-in. If he doesn't, I'll certainly welcome the scenario where I'm an, even slight, favored to win the hand and the game since our stacks are pretty much even.
I guess you know where I'm going with this. In your case
, I think it all depends on how you think of yourself in terms of odds
that you can outplay him or not. If you think you can, then going all-in is a terrible move.