Full house vs nut flush

W

wewe1109

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have question.
Had AJ same suite, and raise $20 (1/2 NL)
4 people were playing, and i made flop nut flush.
First action, so i bet $20, and 2 people called.
Turn card was nothing, but river card paired the board.
When i bet $60, some one raise me $160.
in this situation, are u going to fold, call, or raise?

W

whoopwhoop

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you I would have made a big bet on the turn. If you did that, you may not have been in that tough of a position.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I'd have bet the turn. You got two callers on the flop so someone has hit something, you can get a good amount of chips in here so do it.

On the river, against a good opponent I'm folding. $20 into an $80 pot, if someone has flopped a set they're flat calling here. They've got odds to outdraw you and they're certainly not raising.

He played it like a set, I'd give him credit for holding a set.

It's a difficult fold, but I don't see any reasonable alternative.

What else could he have? A smaller flush? He'd probably have folded pre-flop, or raised on the flop. A king high flush is a possibility, but not very likely given his "value bet" on the river, it just doesn't look like a king high flush.

So what else can you beat? A bluff. That's it. Someone has decided to represent the full house in the face of an obvious flush (either you or the other guy in the hand), it's a bold move and a dangerous one too, not many people are folding a strong flush here.
I would give him credit for the hand rather than put him on a bluff.

B

bilgert

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably fold here, but would have bet big on the turn as others have mentioned, although with a set your opponent is still likely to call. A hard fold on the river, but you live to play another day...

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why the big bet (10BB) preflop?

B

BM0529

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably fold here, but would have bet big on the turn as others have mentioned, although with a set your opponent is still likely to call. A hard fold on the river, but you live to play another day...

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but why the big bet (10BB) preflop?

It sounds alot like a 2-5 player playing 1-2 to me...20$ preflop with A-J in 1-2 is just too much but I see it frequently with people holding KK, QQ, JJ and especially players who normally play 2-5.

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have bet more like 3/4 the pot on the flop to discourage the draws and get the pot built up since I'm statistically a winner. If anyone calls here without a draw to beat my flush is making a mistake. I will win more than lose and the pair on the river is the only worry.

trewtrew

trewtrew

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont open for 10BB and then severly underbet the pot on the flop. Bet way more on the turn and call the river just incase they also flopped a flush and they think they were trapping u, or perhaps with ur small bet sizing they think ur weak so their bluffin u

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, I'd have bet the turn. You got two callers on the flop so someone has hit something, you can get a good amount of chips in here so do it.

On the river, against a good opponent I'm folding. $20 into an $80 pot, if someone has flopped a set they're flat calling here. They've got odds to outdraw you and they're certainly not raising.

He played it like a set, I'd give him credit for holding a set.

It's a difficult fold, but I don't see any reasonable alternative.

What else could he have? A smaller flush? He'd probably have folded pre-flop, or raised on the flop. A king high flush is a possibility, but not very likely given his "value bet" on the river, it just doesn't look like a king high flush.

So what else can you beat? A bluff. That's it. Someone has decided to represent the full house in the face of an obvious flush (either you or the other guy in the hand), it's a bold move and a dangerous one too, not many people are folding a strong flush here.
I would give him credit for the hand rather than put him on a bluff.

maybe he was trying to trap his opponents and didnt think the board paired even if he bet someone with a set would most likely call either way.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the bet on the flop was a little low. He was priced in and hit. The raise after the board paired should have sent the spidy senses tingling.

Mike1Nap4

Mike1Nap4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold. Looks like he has hit a full house. I did the same thing you did, made the nut flush on the turn and the guy hit a full house, 2's full of J's. Bit upset that he was holding J2 though. Thought he was bluffing me, knocked me out of the tourney.

spiderman637

spiderman637

RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This really depends on the player who pushed. Its $100 to win $260. If he's nitty I'd be inclined to fold, but a loose cannon I would call.

These 2 guys have called 2 bets by you (pre and on the flop) and you still checked the turn? Must bet big there since you got the nuts and they got something. Between 2/3 of pot and pot seems appropriate to me. If you find yourself needing to make a call on the river there, no matter how much the reraise, then it would be wise to just push the turn and make him make the decision for all of his chips.

Also, I'm not raising for 10x the BB w/ AJ suited preflop. Its a tricky hand, even if you hit top pair, its still not that strong especially when you get 4 callers.

Full Flush Poker