Flopping a gut shot straight draw OOP

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to play a lot of NLHE cash games, 7 years ago. And as you can tell from my post count, I used to be quite active here. Now, I don't remember much about all the things I had worked out about strategy but I do remember one particular tidbit that I think maybe someone could use. I don't still have the math for it (I had it worked out in an excel sheet) so basically you'll have to take my word for it. Maybe someone here who remembers me can vouch for me as knowing what I talk about. Or used to know, at any rate.

Here's what I remember:

1. Check-raising the flop OOP was something I did very rarely and most other (solid) people did very rarely too. Except if they had a flush draw. But on a dry board, almost never as a bluff.
2. This is a problem because I wanted to balance my strong hands with bluffs.
3. This is solved by checkraising gut shot straight draws.
4. This advice is valid against standard players at 100bb deep in a single raised pot.

If someone wants to try to recreate my math, feel free. But as I recall it I only had to make a fairly conservative estimate of how often villain has to fold to make it worthwhile.

That's it!

Edit: I'm posting this because it's the one thing I still remember that wasn't obvious. And I had an urge to post something here that wasn't about Trump or religion.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was going to post x/raise as a tidbit of advice but looks like it is what you gave. It really is a great play, especially with a gut shot to the nuts and an over. To do the math we would need to generate a lot more information like villains position, range and flop texture but regardless we have 16% to the nuts and if our over is good we have 28% so if villain is somewhat wide and cbetting wide then we need a fold ~30% of the time which is certainly possible against a wide range. Play becomes even better when we have a BDFD. When we start making this play with no BDFD, gut shot isn't to the nuts and against a tight range this play can quickly turn to spew.

All in all, solid post.

Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good to read a FP, post with a recent date. More in the works? Have a good un!!
P.S. I wasn't around when you were playing regular, but have read many good posts of yours in the Golden Archives.