Floating

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is floating on a draw heavy board worth it, if you feel your opponent isn't super strong and is a tight player who folds a lot? I mean if you float in position and the draw hits, they kind of have to fold, right? But if you miss, it can cost ya...

I dunno, just seems like an interesting idea...

I guess it depends on if you are getting the "odds" to the draw, and then it can be a profitable play...

P

pokerpie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me floating comes down to if I have enough chips to float and if the board texture favors me floating. Also if I perceive my opponent to be weaker than me or also on a draw it might give me a bit more incentive to check call it down as well. Very situational I guess on position too and stack depths.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for me floating comes down to if I have enough chips to float and if the board texture favors me floating. Also if I perceive my opponent to be weaker than me or also on a draw it might give me a bit more incentive to check call it down as well. Very situational I guess on position too and stack depths.

Well said. Kind of answer I was looking for.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose floating just to bluff certain cards is ridiculous tho...

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If My goal is to try and take the pot down regardless of what hits then yes , Floating to a Fold Machine is worth it. I mean yes it can be costly but so can Preflop aces . Every hand has a cost, just depends on how much I'm willing to invest overall. I take everything into account before trying to chase down a draw

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes

Last edited:
T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If My goal is to try and take the pot down regardless of what hits then yes , Floating to a Fold Machine is worth it. I mean yes it can be costly but so can Preflop aces . Every hand has a cost, just depends on how much I'm willing to invest overall. I take everything into account before trying to chase down a draw

Fold Machine haha nice. I used to think of them as "Nits." Or a mouse, in Phil Hellmuth's terminology. Very cool to think about...

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is very bad. If I had lost the first 50 dollars, I would have thought about the consequences of such a game.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think we should only flat out of position and highly coordinated boards. you can reraise against high fold frequencies and get clue about opponent's hand.

T

Tylor Mendez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think we should only flat out of position and highly coordinated boards. you can reraise against high fold frequencies and get clue about opponent's hand.

Yes, we can get a clue about the villain's hand, being the hero.

ACEWOLF56

ACEWOLF56

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me floating comes down to what percentage value do I have. If it’s over 30% then yes, but if it’s a one outer or drawing a knife when a gunfire is more probable? Then no

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always take notes on players who make a continuation bet and then give up on the turn as well as players I have to fire 2 bets to fold. These notes come in handy when deciding who to float against. I generally only float AK.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Float definition.

Is floating on a draw heavy board worth it, if you feel your opponent isn't super strong and is a tight player who folds a lot? I mean if you float in position and the draw hits, they kind of have to fold, right? But if you miss, it can cost ya...

I dunno, just seems like an interesting idea...

I guess it depends on if you are getting the "ODDS" to the draw, and then it can be a profitable play...

Thanks for posting.
Thought I would share this definition of floating as it is helpful to the discussion.

A float is a move where an aggressor is called so that a player may retake the initiative in a later round, provided that the original aggressor allows it. It is a broad term. The call on the flop can be a bluff call, smooth call, or a call for pot control. The term is often used in sense of a bluff.

Float as a Bluff

One does not need a made hand to execute a float, even though the expected value will be elevated when one possesses a draw with which one could win the showdown if it were completed. Calling a continuation bet can be done as a pure bluff to represent a strong hand or slowplay or to show an opponent that the pot will not be easily won and to convince him to give up his bluff.

Hope this helps

:):)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find the best board to float OOP is a heavy lockdown board like A♦️10♦️2♦️ Or K♠️K♣️4♥️
You can take it down on the river with a good pot size bet