Feasible daily goal for 5$ NL

Picatrix

Picatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to set a single daily goal for myself playing 5$ NL. once I hit it I'll stop playing for the day. I thought maybe minimum 1/2 buy in is good, just single tabling? If not, what kind of goal do you think is reasonable for this limit, playing about 2-3 hours a day, single table?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How about your goal is 1.5 hours a day with A game.

How the f*ck you are gonna know how much you lose or win?

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Picatrix. Maybe you should do it this way. If you are winning, keep playing awhile longer, unless you have other things to do. If you lose $1.50, that should be when you quite for the day, or try again later. I play 5nl also with a small BR. It really takes a lot of patience to stay out of trouble at that level, because the betting is low. Then if you call with hands you should not be playing, but you hit a low pair on the flop, that makes you want to stay. That cost you money, because they are losing hands. I have said this before because I do it and it helps me make good decisions. Look at your pennies like they are dollars. Like the blinds are $2/$5 and you think if they were dollars, would you call or raise. Just try it a little and see what I mean.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like PapaC’s plan too.

Things I think are very important when making plans are:
  1. If you feel comfortable to play 2 hours at the time, you need to select time less than this on the table because what you can keep up a week, is not something you can do constantly for long periods. So for example if you feel you can play 2 hours, play 1 hour 15 min.
  2. If you feel you are not up to it, then you can’t play. For that time you need secondary plan. For example, if you think you are not really up to playing study instead. Don’t forget day offs!
  3. Making daily goal and keeping it for long time is not possible. One day you get syphilis, second day you get divorced and third day you drink too much and pass out -> 3 days not sticking in the plan, what now?
  4. The useful daily goal would be, imo, something that makes you play even in case you are getting your ass kicked seriously at previous day. Something like, play at least 20 hands every day when you can, if not read and learn at least one thing more about poker. Learning is hard, so you most likely end up playing sooner than later. Not sure if there is really good way to do daily goals really. I would like to learn one too.
For bad days dropping one level down would be ideal, but dropping from 5NL to 2NL is asking for trouble, because there is quite large possibility that 2NL will just make you play bad game compared what is required in 5NL and adapting back to harder environment is not easy. But one could try, maybe it would work for you.

Last edited:
C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good(realistic) in my exp. win rate you can have. You can count up how much you can make.
Realisticaly if you grind cash you need to multitbale to an extent. You can not hope for a big payout on micros with a good hand>bad op>winning hand. Even if you have all of that aligned you hope for 5-10$, Look great but will not happen often =)
You will be staling blinds most of the time and maybe 7-10bb other times. So amount of games/hands comes in consideration.
Obviously this no rason to go from 1 to 16 tables in a day but if you google rake back expectation, you will see that most pros (I use this term loosely) depending on the limit they play will win, lets say, 400$ a month and have ~100$ rake back
Braveslice said it in a stupid way, but was correct. You will have loosing sessions/days, so winrate should not be cacluted on a single session...unless you managed to play 10K hands in 1session. Your TAG AA play will be crushed buy loose J9o !not could, it will!
So if you want to set a goals, I would go for a week maybe(200$) be month(1000$) some equivalent of that, but daily counting pennies is useless.
Think like this:
You played perfect poker 2 hours 55min gaind good win rate of ~10+bb/100hands but than: you raise AA-get a 3 bet-you shove 4 bet>you op flops street>congratulations! you lose.
So in 3 hours you, lets say, either broke even or lost 10c. Daily goal busted and you played good poker, no if that was a weekly goal of 50/monthly of 200 this would not matter that much.
And yes, dont go swinging nl2-nal5-nl10-nl2.... stick to your BR managment like this and you'll be alright

Last edited:
ubo

ubo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A normal target.
But how do you reproduce???
Don't forget to tell about the successes.

AntonEast

AntonEast

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't stop playing when you reach your daily goal, that's a major mistake because you can use the advantage of having a big stack. Earn more the good days and lose less on the bad days, stop playing if you're stuck and only loosing. If you play like this maybe you will earn that 1/2 buy in/day that you talked about. But some days you lose and some days you'll win more than that

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will be days where the deck just won't let you win that much. I would set goals for your stats if anything. Don't play certain hands/bad spots. Don't get impatient. Losing at micros can be discouraging

J

Jreece18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daily goal? You're picking monetary values... Have you heard of variance? If you're judging your game on how much money you make each day, you need to learn more about poker. A much better goal is hands or hours spent playing.

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daily goal

Yes I agree with most of these other players. You need not to measure how much you win daily These stakes are so low, if you lose (which will happen somedays) you will probably get frustrated.

Judge yourself on how you played!! Review your hand history from the day before for a half hour and see where you could of picked up a few pots or maybe folded in different spots to save $. Just remember to be honest with yourself and go into each session trying to improve in certain areas. And remember poker is one long session, so don't get too up or too down.

Good luck at the tables

stoke