Facing a 3 bet from the BB following UTG raise

T

trebor1993

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope someone can offer some advice on this hand.
Playing full ring 1-3 blinds.
Stack of 300, I raise to 13 UTG with AJ diamonds.
Everyone folds to the BB who three bets to 45.
I call. He has a stack of 300 also.
Flop comes 9 8 8 two diamonds, giving me a flush draw and two overs.
He checks to me and I bet 50.
He raises to 150, leaving me only 100 behind if I call, so I shove. He shows pocket aces which hold up.
Any thoughts friends ?

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It is part of the game, are deciciones I think playing at these levels becomes more aggressive all because we are in search of money, sometimes you win and sometimes with probavilidades luck takes center stage.

abwil2

abwil2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hope someone can offer some advice on this hand.
Playing full ring 1-3 blinds.
Stack of 300, I raise to 13 UTG with AJ diamonds.
Everyone folds to the BB who three bets to 45.
I call. He has a stack of 300 also.
Flop comes 9 8 8 two diamonds, giving me a flush draw and two overs.
He checks to me and I bet 50.
He raises to 150, leaving me only 100 behind if I call, so I shove. He shows pocket aces which hold up.
Any thoughts friends ?

When he 3 bets your raise what are you putting him on? had he been raising alot or tight not playing alot of hands.
Ok so call isnt horrible but when you bet that flop and he 3 bets you again red flags have to be going off. Your overs dont mean shit here flush is alot of outs but over cant concern you cause then you playing widly hoping for the overs. Me personally dont like the shove cause your behind. Your 65 35 behind granted you didnt know or think he had aces here but again what are you putting him on? what have u seen him do? 1010 JJ QQ KK at this point is all in the same except 10 10. IMO you got WAY to aggressive with a draw and stacked him off., but im sure alot of players here or not would have played it same just not me. its a fold on the 2nd 3 bet for me if not the first 3 bet
Good luck next time!!

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id adjust the sizings. First off i wouldnt open 4.1x, but that might be necesarry due to people calling to much behind in livegames. Then i would stab smaller IP, something around 25% pot with my entire range.

I dont know how faceup Villains range is here tho. Live is a lot different from what ive read the last couple of weeks. Do they balance these spots with bluffs? And more important what does the typical 3betting range from BB looks like in youre local games? If they only 3bet QQ+, AKo+ and AQs+ id fold pre or check behind on that board. If you only see them doing this line with AA-KK you can fold right there.

As played we have to stack off here i think, we get the odds.

You play live, what do you think?

Last edited:
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live game I prefer playing 150BB as the open raise size is larger.

I play 1/1 mainly and I don't people see 3bet light against UTG open.
Preflop call IP still fine against good players if the stack is larger.

Flop, I think you need to consider any bluff villain can have and also fold equity if you shove. If villain takes the line with AQ/AK which folds to your shove, it is ok.

However if the effective stack is only 100BB, the check raise makes villain pot committed and unlikely to be a bluff as you can have overpairs on this board that unlikely to fold.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a full ring game I personally rarely raise UTG with AJ. Depends on the players behind me I might even fold.

As played, check the flop.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise pre with AJs: Good

Facing the 3-Bet: I'd fold here.

Normally we can definitely call a 3-bet with position holding AJs 100bb deep, but here his sizing is large and we do poorly against his range without a read. Live low-stakes games don't have much light 3-betting. On top of that, BB vs UTG there's a good chance he's flatting hands as strong as TT or AQs. So his range here might be something like JJ+ AK and we don't have the equity to continue if that's the case.

Flop: Normally a check back, but betting might get AK to fold so I think it's fine.

Facing Check-Raise: Committed with nut flush draw and have to stack off for sure.

Lastly, when posting the hand, I'd suggest not saying he has AA since it makes everyone (myself included probably!) more results oriented :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Colin pretty much said it. Fold to the 3-bet, but when we call and see this flop, I dont really see, how we can get away. Sure we could have checked back the flop and hoped to improve for free, but betting the nut flushdraw cant be that bad. He might check-fold AK for instance, which would be a great result for us. Him flipping over AA was kind of worst case. If he had KK or QQ, its almost a coin flip.

chilindrodolar

chilindrodolar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Traducción Humana

Traducir

You took a decision very high, considering in a color , very good lesson , but bad at the same time because if you went out the Aj , I bet all-in until you throw it away and lose , all in the same way, are cases that at least there you got lucky, almost the odds were for you, just tur and river don't favored.!!!