The evolution of poker strategies

P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As someone who has never read a book on poker (I prefer just to play or watch you tube videos) I was wondering if the strategies used in poker games have changed much over the years. After visiting my local library to see what poker books they had, I noticed they were all a good few years old. Would the advice in these books be dated, or would they still be useful today? I'd assume that maybe strategies that worked a few years ago maybe aren't as successful these days as more and more players are knowledgeable and know what you are trying to do.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any book about poker strategy gives the reader only the direction in which you want to move! The main thing to take from the experience of many books, and draw the right conclusions and to find your way!

C

CardDead711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any good information is worth reading. If you don't read it then how do you know what others are trying or doing. Yes the information might be old, or commonly known, but again necessary. I think by not reading some poker literature you are missing out on something. Not that it will give you a "Eureka" feeling, but might give you information to process and develop into your own game.

For example, in basketball a lay-up is very basic and most any athletic child can do it. BUT, if you are playing on a team and can not do a lay-up, then you are missing out on alot more than that in your game. Translate this to poker and you get what I mean, or at least I hope so. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As someone who has never read a book on poker (I prefer just to play or watch you tube videos) I was wondering if the strategies used in poker games have changed much over the years. After visiting my local library to see what poker books they had, I noticed they were all a good few years old. Would the advice in these books be dated, or would they still be useful today? I'd assume that maybe strategies that worked a few years ago maybe aren't as successful these days as more and more players are knowledgeable and know what you are trying to do.
Yes strategies change a lot in different areas. I think videos will be more helpful than books as long as the videos are from proven winners and are recent.