Equity vs. Range Postflop

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm working on Poker Workbook for Math Geeks and I've been doing a lot of exercises where you calculate equity of draws and pot odds, etc.

The question I have is, how do I do this when I have no idea what villain has but I've got a made hand? Is this where ranges and combo's come in? Also, I'm pretty new to poker, I'm running about break even at the microstakes, so is hand reading and combo's something I should learn now as part of a good base of knowledge, or is it something I should put off until I get better at more basic things?

Just as an example, Say I have As Jd vs a 18/12/3.0 and the flop comes up Ac Kh Th. If I was on a draw, I'd use the rule of 2 or 4 to know my equity then compare it to whatever pot odds I was calling, or giving to villain with a bet. But I've got a made hand here, so I can't use that rule. I don't know how to calculate the equity on a hand like this so I know whether I've got pot odds/implied odds to call/raise.

I'm just trying to use my study time wisely and that whole equity vs. a range thing seems pretty important.

Thanks for any advice.

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think what you are looking for is called reverse implied odds. It is how much you figure to loose if, say, a queen hits on the turn. This might not be what you are talking about, but it is certainly something that comes into high level thought process and is important to know at higher stakes.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game of incomplete information. Because of this, you assign a range for the villain and try to see your equity vs his range with a solver. I would probably check if there was a 3bet preflop and bet if it wasn't

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Use Equilab: How To Use Equilab (Free Poker Equity Calculator) | Poker Quick Plays - YouTube

At time 4:46 more advanced stuff you should know right away.

Also remember there is no right answer in poker, more you learn more correct your answer is. This also implies that you should not stress too much about right / wrong, getting an answer is enough.

Thanks all. I do use equilab off the table, not enough though so I'll start using it more. But isn't there a way to do it at the table, at least an estimate, or is it something you just have to get used to off the table over time?

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is combo counting, unfortunately you need to have good grasp of ranges first. And yeah offline ☹

But you can already start using combos fast in certain situations if you first practice ranges in this spot specific. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to do combos real time (practicing slowly), so my advices can be off the mark a bit (not completely).

And in the end, after studying, range analysis, combo counting and experience you kind of know what to do because of repetition most of the time. But good players, like Jamie and Tonkaa constantly make remarks about villain having this and this combos in their value range and bluff range.

If you know villain has 6 value combos and 5 bluff combos, you know that you are good 5/11= 45% of time this combined to pot equity tells you if you can call or not.

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all. I've started studying How to Read hands at No Limit Holdem. I've been putting it off because I had so much other stuff to learn, but I think it's time.

I'll be using Equilab/Flopzilla a lot more as a way to check myself when practicing.

I appreciate all the advice.

kasra32

kasra32

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Erici is good at everything, but he does not get anything in the race. It is official in the tournament that one can save experience! I hope you are right