Effective stacks strategy

N

Nelson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, I'm not even sure I should be using M anymore.
Everytime I am in this tourney spot with an M of 10, I find it a difficult spot. Any raise where I am first in can be re-raised by a good opponent.
Does anyone have general strategies for this size stack? Any less say 7 and below, I am pushing all in but that seems too much with this stack.
Any re-raise over the top of me and it's difficult to play post flop oop.

PokerStars, $1.96 + $0.24 - Hold'em No Limit - 350/700 (85 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 53,673 (77 bb)
UTG+1: 12,687 (18 bb)
MP (Hero): 17,786 (25 bb)
MP+1: 42,413 (61 bb)
LP: 42,710 (61 bb)
CO: 35,676 (51 bb)
BU: 10,765 (15 bb)
SB: 39,275 (56 bb)
BB: 11,171 (16 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,815) Hero is MP with J A
2 players fold, Hero raises to 2,100, MP+1 3-bets to 6,300, 5 players fold, Hero ?

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had to look up the Harrington’s zone strategy. I was not familiar with it.
“Orange Zone: M of 6-10
You have now lost the ability to make more advanced moves. For example, you can't come over the top against a raise and a re-raise because, even if you make an all-in raise, your bet will not be big enough to discourage a call from even the weakest of hands.”

This is the position you face. You’re too strong to open-fold. I don’t hate a call. Yes, it will cost you 9 BBs and leave you with 16 BBs. A few things to consider:
What is the table type? Is there a lot of 3-betting?
What do you believe his range is? My estimate would be JJ+, KQs+, AKs (maybe 76s and 87s if he’s a Doug Polk fan). If this is accurate, then maybe fold. If he’s wider, then maybe call and re-evaluate. If he’s way wider then shove.
If you had opened to 2.25x or 2.5x, then his 3-bet might have been sized to 6.5-7.5 BBs. Would 2.5x open generated to many calls? What did you expect your 3x open to accomplish? Were you expecting folds? If you opened 5x, would you be willing to fold to a 3-bet?
From your replay, I see that you shoved and were called. How did it turn out?

U

Unashamed88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, I'm not even sure I should be using M anymore.
Everytime I am in this tourney spot with an M of 10, I find it a difficult spot. Any raise where I am first in can be re-raised by a good opponent.
Does anyone have general strategies for this size stack? Any less say 7 and below, I am pushing all in but that seems too much with this stack.
Any re-raise over the top of me and it's difficult to play post flop oop.

PokerStars, $1.96 + $0.24 - Hold'em No Limit - 350/700 (85 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 53,673 (77 bb)
UTG+1: 12,687 (18 bb)
MP (Hero): 17,786 (25 bb)
MP+1: 42,413 (61 bb)
LP: 42,710 (61 bb)
CO: 35,676 (51 bb)
BU: 10,765 (15 bb)
SB: 39,275 (56 bb)
BB: 11,171 (16 bb)

Pre-Flop: (1,815) Hero is MP with J A
2 players fold, Hero raises to 2,100, MP+1 3-bets to 6,300, 5 players fold, Hero ?

I had to look up the Harrington’s zone strategy. I was not familiar with it.
“Orange Zone: M of 6-10
You have now lost the ability to make more advanced moves. For example, you can't come over the top against a raise and a re-raise because, even if you make an all-in raise, your bet will not be big enough to discourage a call from even the weakest of hands.”

This is the position you face. You’re too strong to open-fold. I don’t hate a call. Yes, it will cost you 9 BBs and leave you with 16 BBs. A few things to consider:
What is the table type? Is there a lot of 3-betting?
What do you believe his range is? My estimate would be JJ+, KQs+, AKs (maybe 76s and 87s if he’s a Doug Polk fan). If this is accurate, then maybe fold. If he’s wider, then maybe call and re-evaluate. If he’s way wider then shove.
If you had opened to 2.25x or 2.5x, then his 3-bet might have been sized to 6.5-7.5 BBs. Would 2.5x open generated to many calls? What did you expect your 3x open to accomplish? Were you expecting folds? If you opened 5x, would you be willing to fold to a 3-bet?
From your replay, I see that you shoved and were called. How did it turn out?

These are excellent questions to consider and can be simplified into one simple fact. The way you get better at playing in this zone is by planning a step or 2 ahead. Know that if you do X, and Y happens I am going to... or if I do X and Z happens I am go to..

You never want to make an action in poker without considering the reaction of your villains and what your willing to do when they do react because they will! This requires awareness of your position and your villains.

My question to you is why did you shove to the villain? Were you ready to shove because villains range was wide enough? Or did you just get frustrated by having a decent hand in your M Level and crossed your fingers?