Does a big stack require a lot of responsibility for you ?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uncle Ben said, " Great power requires great responsibility (Spider-Man 2002)". When our stack has increased several times, we can leave the table, put the winnings in the piggy bank and return with the usual stack. The fear of losing everything encourages this action. There have always been contradictions and doubts. But you can expand your range of hands and apply more pressure with the largest stack at the table. Risk is a noble cause. Or do you still prefer to postpone your winnings? Does a big stack require a lot of responsibility for you ?

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I don't think you have a lot of responsibility as a big stack. You played well (MAYBE got a little lucky/good rush of cards) to get to this point. All you're concerned with is just continuing to play the game that you are comfortable with. If applying some pressure on your opponents is part of your game, then utilize that.

I've seen people run up HUGE stacks, only to punt it away as quickly by trying to run the table over. People are smart - if the good players pick up on this, they will adjust their range to use your over-aggressive play against you. It's all about adjusting and counter-adjusting.

The best analogy I can think of is a Baseball Hitter. If he gets really hot, pitchers will try to find different ways to get him out. Eventually, they will adjust and the hitter will then have to counter-adjust. It's basically one big circle, and those who can continue to adapt will be able to survive and do well, while others fall by the wayside.

Best of luck at the tables.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The main goal of no limit hold'em is to take the entire stack of the opponent. Therefore, provided that you have high skill in the game, the higher stacks at the table, the better!

P.S. It’s bad that they removed the deep tables on the PS...

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Large stacks give confidence in the game. It becomes easier in the game with opponents who are psychologically trying not to enter the fight with the leaders on the stack.:)

EVA777

EVA777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Large stacks give confidence in the game. It becomes easier in the game with opponents who are psychologically trying not to enter the fight with the leaders on the stack.:)

:eek::rolleyes:
Let me disagree with you! Everything turns out the opposite for me! When I have a large stack, I am even more afraid of losing it! I am becoming unsure, I am missing out on good points. Why? I dont know!:confused:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Uncle Ben said, " Great power requires great responsibility (Spider-Man 2002)". When our stack has increased several times, we can leave the table, put the winnings in the piggy bank and return with the usual stack. The fear of losing everything encourages this action. There have always been contradictions and doubts. But you can expand your range of hands and apply more pressure with the largest stack at the table. Risk is a noble cause. Or do you still prefer to postpone your winnings? Does a big stack require a lot of responsibility for you ?

No responsibility in cash games. I don't have to boss the table. I am strategizing and trying to figure out how to get my opponent(s) to put stacks or high denomination chips in the pot.

In tournaments I feel more of a responsibility. I want to be in every hand if possible. Especially in position.

Good luck !

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah... its a responsability..

You have to go deep if you have a deep stack, no excuses..

Unless you have a lot of bad beats

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A big stack at the table is great, but in cash games it doesn't have as much pressure as in tournaments. Cash game usually deep stacks in order to exert pressure significant you to significantly increase the size of raises before the flop, which is the wrong game, also with the structure for cash games at a loss to play many weak hands, you will win many small pots, but may soon fall into the trap of losing a lot of money. So it is not so easy to create real stack pressure in cash games.

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We're talking about cash games, right? No I don't think you have a responsibility to sit at the table until you give it back. I don't play like I'm ratholing. If I'm playing $100NL and I'm up five buy-ins to $600, I'm not going to take my money off the table and go buy in again for $100 at a different $100NL table. But when I sit at a table I will usually stay at it for at least an hour unless I'm losing.

It's like this. When I was playing cash games, I set a simple goal for myself. My goal was to try to win an average of $100 a day. I might buy into a $50NL game for $25. An hour and a half later I might sitting with $190 in front of me and decide that I am going to leave the table as soon as I go over $200. There's nothing that says I have to sit at the table until I run K-K into A-A and lose half of my chips before I can leave. Or I might buy in for the max amount at a $100NL game and double up within the first ten minutes. I will still sit at the table until at least an hour has passed since I first sat. I don't feel like I'm obligated to do it. But I also know that if I hit and run every time I win a big pot, other players might avoid sitting at tables with me.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A big stack at the table is great, but in cash games it doesn't have as much pressure as in tournaments. Cash game usually deep stacks in order to exert pressure significant you to significantly increase the size of raises before the flop, which is the wrong game, also with the structure for cash games at a loss to play many weak hands, you will win many small pots, but may soon fall into the trap of losing a lot of money. So it is not so easy to create real stack pressure in cash games.
Yes, that's what I meant. Pressure is not easy to apply in a cash game. It is easier for the player to go to the end with fewer chips or put all in in the middle of the hand. But if you've been increasing your stack for a few hours, then a guy comes in, puts all in with the worst hand, and wins. Most of your winnings go to the person in a couple of seconds.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We're talking about cash games, right? No I don't think you have a responsibility to sit at the table until you give it back. I don't play like I'm ratholing. If I'm playing $100NL and I'm up five buy-ins to $600, I'm not going to take my money off the table and go buy in again for $100 at a different $100NL table. But when I sit at a table I will usually stay at it for at least an hour unless I'm losing.

It's like this. When I was playing cash games, I set a simple goal for myself. My goal was to try to win an average of $100 a day. I might buy into a $50NL game for $25. An hour and a half later I might sitting with $190 in front of me and decide that I am going to leave the table as soon as I go over $200. There's nothing that says I have to sit at the table until I run K-K into A-A and lose half of my chips before I can leave. Or I might buy in for the max amount at a $100NL game and double up within the first ten minutes. I will still sit at the table until at least an hour has passed since I first sat. I don't feel like I'm obligated to do it. But I also know that if I hit and run every time I win a big pot, other players might avoid sitting at tables with me.
Yes, we are talking about a cash game. You have a good goal. But winning is often hard. There is always a chance to lose winnings when incredible hands collide.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
By saying return to the tables you mean cash game, if so I think it would be disrespectful to do so. On the other hand, if you refer to tournaments, it is important to continue playing as you have done up to that point, because if you play thinking only about collecting, you will not get very far; you always have to play to win. GL

A

Airles17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It does require great responsibility.
pressing opponents and increasing the range of hands are advantages that the stack provides, but if you have no responsibility you lose everything very quickly.

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a strategy game, you will need to learn how to play in differents stack size, and differents niveis.

Play short stack are more difficult than play with a big stack. With more stack you have more fold actions, and with a good strategy you can go more far with less exforce.

Try to play the same situation with 10BB, 20BB and 100BB, certainly you will understand more than reading a article. There are some advices that we can give, like don't spend much money in marginal hands, avoid to use the stack to play more hands that you can't, I usually advice to play like a short stack if you don't know to play with this stack, and I will give more advices of how to play as you evolute your game play.

We generally wide the hand range and play more agressive close to the ITM and close to the final table, using the stack to put press in our oponents, but are more easy to good players make trap, so you need to observe the stack of the oponents, and play a lot of attention when the players change their games without apparent reason.