Differences between 2NL, 5NL and 10NL

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any thoughts on how these differ from one another on pokerstars?
I notice I play a much better game in 10NL compared to 2NL and 5NL. Less Russian regs too in 10NL. In 2NL and 5NL the opponents have 1 strategy: (re)raise pre flop and 3 barrel until you give up, regardless of whether they hit, or what the board looks like. And they play this game on 4 or 8 different tables.
In 10NL the opponents are actually thinking about the hand they're playing.
Correct me if I'm wrong

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many hands do you have on file for each stake, because this reeks of recency bias.

Generally if you can't beat 5NL over a large period of hands you won't be 10NL. If you have predictable Russians in 2NL like you say then why not take advantage of them?

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi GameTooHard

If I control my emotions and stay focused, I am profitable in all three of these limits.
2NL is just very boring and straight forward. 5NL can be tricky sometimes if you're card dead.
10NL seems way softer for some reason. I only have like 2K hands in 10NL. So not that big of a sample size in these limits yet. I have a strict bankroll management, and 10NL is just too high for now. It's probably too soon to take any conclusions at this point.
To defeat these Russians, I have to have a playable hand at least.
I'm also less stubborn, and table select more lately. It's ridiculous to try to battle a guy/girl who is obviously steaming. This isn't limit related, of course.
In 2NL and 5NL people tend to throw their money away / gamble a lot more. Where in 10NL, people at least seem to consider the possibility of being defeated at some point in the hand.
I am aware that the main purpose of Poker isn't trying to let your opponent fold. However, if no one folds, then the game becomes just a silly showdown game. And any strategy is pointless

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally they are waste of time. Play big MTTs. Cash game is a optimized mostly structure where bots rule the large volume play. You need to put in at least 120k hands to get accurate sample sizes.

Point is it is 99.9% skill as long as you put in the volume. Judging from the threads on 2 + 2 and sometimes CC there are fanatics desperately trying to making a living on 10NL 2NL is a waste of time and 5NL is super bot infested. The bots in the long run slaughter the fish,donks,regs etc.

Why play a skill game where people have already established themselves and take the value out of it? Filled with fanatics and sophisticated software you won't beat in the long run?

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi GameTooHard

If I control my emotions and stay focused, I am profitable in all three of these limits.
2NL is just very boring and straight forward. 5NL can be tricky sometimes if you're card dead.
10NL seems way softer for some reason. I only have like 2K hands in 10NL. So not that big of a sample size in these limits yet. I have a strict bankroll management, and 10NL is just too high for now. It's probably too soon to take any conclusions at this point.
I'm also less stubborn, and table select more lately. It's ridiculous to try to battle a guy/girl who is obviously steaming. This isn't limit related, of course.
In 2NL and 5NL people tend to throw their money away / gamble a lot more. Where in 10NL, people at least seem to consider the possibility of being defeated at some point in the hand.
I am aware that the main purpose of Poker isn't trying to let your opponent fold. However, if no one folds, then the game becomes just a silly showdown game. And any strategy is pointless

So you just value bet them to death when you got it, and just keep clicking the call button when they punt off to you and triple barrel you with zero equity like you say. It will for sure be a bit higher variance than playing a passive fish, but the russians you speak of, will push your implied odds through the roof, as they will always pay you off when you make a decent hand.

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, but then variance is all over the place, and I start playing badly. Anyway, these Russians, I marked them red and avoid them. I just look for a different table

What's up with these "bots" you talk about? Are you saying I often battle computers? It doesn't seem like it. I expect computers to be 'smart' and consistent.

The play in 5NL sometimes is just ridiculous. People are so "pot committed", even to a pot of 1 dollar. And become frustrated idiots if you reraise for example. And they push all in with, I don't know, a pair of aces and a weak kicker, or two medium pair or something. I assume an all-in on the river is polarised. Meaning, the opponent either has the nuts, or nothing at all.
Depending on the board texture, and the opponent, I often check raise the flop, and bet pot on the turn in EP. Especially with a strong draw. Or when the board pairs and I have AK or something. But moves like this, while they often succeed, sometimes for some reason get people 'angry'. And then they start to do all these kind of silly goofy moves, either on the next street(s), or during the next couple of hands.
I also overbet too often, as value bets don't mean anything usually

Last edited:
F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only normal, tactical and very fun game I've played was a slow paced tournament with a 5 dollar buy-in. This was super fun and strategic. Very exciting. But it's above my bankroll atm.
These 50cent or 1 dollar tournaments or sit n go's are just painful. Not fun at all.

Also, I don't mind losing a hand at all.
- If I made the wrong decision and lose, I learned
- If I made a wrong decision and won, I played badly and learned.
- If I made the correct decision and lose, I win
- If I made the correct decision and won, ... well that's great!

Last edited:
G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi GameTooHard

Do you play poker for fun, to win money or a mix of both?

If you're trying to win money, you're not pointing out a true problem. If people are going to be calling stations you tighten up play fit/fold and when you hit something you value bet. People playing "bad" shouldn't mentally affect you in poker, in fact that's probably the most harmful mindset you could have.

If you're just playing for fun then play 10NL and ignore bankroll management, but I don't believe this is something you're doing as you mentioned.

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play poker for fun, to win money or a mix of both?

If you're trying to win money, you're not pointing out a true problem. If people are going to be calling stations you tighten up play fit/fold and when you hit something you value bet. People playing "bad" shouldn't mentally affect you in poker, in fact that's probably the most harmful mindset you could have.

If you're just playing for fun then play 10NL and ignore bankroll management, but I don't believe this is something you're doing as you mentioned.

Well, it's a fun game for sure (sometimes not), but I am trying to build a bankroll while learning the game, indeed. If I reach 500$, I can start playing 10NL, not sooner. If I do, I'll be afraid to push all-in pre flop with aces for example. Or heavy 2 barrel very strong draws against a calling station. Or I'll never 3, 4 or 5 bet preflop either. Ill be just too cautious. It's not that I don't have any money, but I'm not depositing ever again. I mean, if I'm unable to go from 100 to 500 playing 5 dollar games, I'm probably a very bad player anyway