Difference between 6 max and full ring at micros

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a question that i could not answered well myself.
I play like a god at full ring micros(1/2c and 2/4c) but i su.ck really bad at 6 max.
It is not about being loose or tight because i play verry tight at both of them.
All the books i read told me that 6 max is like full ring without the UTGs.

After i used some math i saw that the winnings from full ring are compensating the losing situations but not the same thing happens at 6 max. A bad beat will take away all my winnings and more.

Not the same thing at 1 dollar SNGs. I do better at 6 ppl sngs than at 9 ppl sngs.

If someone can explain me where this differences come and the math behind them , and what should i adjust when i am calculating the odds i would be glad.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I mention positions now I'm talking about 6-max.

You'll win on average more at 6-max in the 6-max positions including CO and BTN because ranges are wider and you'll be more profitable. However in FR you have 3 more positions where you can get a good hand and profit.

In 6-max the blinds are so so much more important, and these are the most difficult positions to play. When you suck at blind play it hits you harder at 6-max cause you don't have those extra 3 positions to make it up like you do in FR.

If you're good you will have a bigger edge in 6-max. If you're not so good the difficulty of 6-max will destroy your win-rate. There is also much more variance in 6max because you're shorter and ranges are wider.

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're good you will have a bigger edge in 6-max. If you're not so good the difficulty of 6-max will destroy your win-rate. There is also much more variance in 6max because you're shorter and ranges are wider.

Your post was good but this part I kinda disagree with. I could not win at FR. I just sucked. I mean, it could be variance cause I know I ran like total crap for about 60k hands(-3BB/100 in AIEV alone)but once I switched to 6 max I instantly became a winning player. Because of this I think 6 max is actually easier because people call down and stack off lighter. I may be wrong so I wonder what other people think about that.

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your post was good but this part I kinda disagree with. I could not win at FR. I just sucked. I mean, it could be variance cause I know I ran like total crap for about 60k hands(-3BB/100 in AIEV alone)but once I switched to 6 max I instantly became a winning player. Because of this I think 6 max is actually easier because people call down and stack off lighter. I may be wrong so I wonder what other people think about that.

For me it made sense. I mean for my style of play it makes sense. But i consider myself still a beginner af a year of poker and a half of playing poker.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm starting to think the same.

I've stopped playing FR twice now, and both times its been on the tail-end of a brutal d/swing, i've then moved to 6max and instantly, and i mean instantly, turned things around.

It's obv variance thats got me to jump ship from FR, but there comes a point where you get totally sick of bein shown the nuts constantly, your big pairs only getting action when your beat etc etc i'm sure I just run bad at FR but my edge must be that much bigger playing 6m that I can run the same but level it out by outplaying the player pool in marginal spots. Like since i started playing more 6m I can remember plenty of cooler hands, so its not like I'm running absolutely god-like, but nevertheless I am up and have made back everything +some that I lost at FR

At 6max you'll see AI calls and players calling off 3 streets with allsorts and just think, fk, that happens like never at FR but its already happened twice this session.

Was kinda waffling on there as I dont know how to write down what I think of the differences, but I think 6m is definetly easier than FR, its just easier to get value off of worse hands imo, even the fishie villains at FR nowadays know that you cant stack off with middle pair, but when those fishie villains get bored of being tight they move to 6m and COMPLETELY over adjust to playing SH, I see calls everyday where i just think WTF were you thinking there lol

P

papatango123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
at 6max the fish to good player ratio seems to be higher so you get to play more hands with the fish which = more money as you get paid off tonnes more with good hands as they cannot fold ace rag or 2nd pair ever.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread kinda makes me want to try 6 max tonight..

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol I was pretty drunk when I wrote that but it seems solid. What I meant to say regarding the last bit was that if you're good at blind play and in general then your edge will be bigger but if you're terrible then you'll be in lots more marginal positions and it will show.

In FR you can kind of get away with folding lots and playing good hands but in 6max you need to play more hands and play with weaker holdings in more marginal spots.

It's all personal preference though.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In FR you can kind of get away with folding lots and playing good hands but in 6max you need to play more hands and play with weaker holdings in more marginal spots.
Thanks for clearing that up, disregard my previous post. I think I might be too nitty for 6 max:(

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for clearing that up, disregard my previous post. I think I might be too nitty for 6 max:(

Haha maybe. I play something like 19/17, but you could probably get away with 17/15 at the mini micros as they're so bad. I assume this is way looser than you play now :)

People, when they talk about 6max, only ever mention the time they bet 3 streets with AA and some idiot called with TP lololol it's so much easier at 6max. They never mention all those marginal spots you have to play to keep up with the blinds, all the stealing and generally the need to play a ton more hands.

There's also the fact that multi tabling is a lot harder. I can play 6 tables 6max very comfortably, 9 is still within my comfort zone. I can play 16 FR fairly comfortably and could hit the PS 24 for a time.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Look at my cash thread, I have posted a 6max opening range ripped straight from ryan fee's guide, use that, its nitty enough to make you feel comfortable whilst moving over, but wide enough in LP to make you start to steal more/play more marginal holecards. Couple that opening range with a basic knowledge of cbetting/barreling, and i mean basic, paired board i cbet, overcard on the turn I barrel stuff, and you should be good :)

EDIT: Also play less tables, I stack 5, with TN set up so that I can drag 2 out at a time if i want to concentrate on them, at 10nl this is still plenty to hit silver iron and a BI min RB per week so volume isnt that bad, but your hourly will go up as you can concentrate more on table selection and exploiting the 45/2 that keeps limping before you.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at my cash thread, I have posted a 6max opening range ripped straight from ryan fee's guide, use that, its nitty enough to make you feel comfortable whilst moving over, but wide enough in LP to make you start to steal more/play more marginal holecards. Couple that opening range with a basic knowledge of cbetting/barreling, and i mean basic, paired board i cbet, overcard on the turn I barrel stuff, and you should be good :)

EDIT: Also play less tables, I stack 5, with TN set up so that I can drag 2 out at a time if i want to concentrate on them, at 10nl this is still plenty to hit silver iron and a BI min RB per week so volume isnt that bad, but your hourly will go up as you can concentrate more on table selection and exploiting the 45/2 that keeps limping before you.
Oh will do, that is awesome, thank you.
I do need to loosen up a bit, but can't for some reason. I will work on it at some point.
I only play one table at a time as I play just for fun and when I do more it seems like work, lol

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, I love 6 max. But that's because I love the fact I can play a wider range of hands and get paid more often. Aggression is key but it needs to be controlled. On the other side, there is definitely more variance than FR. But because of the way I like to play, it suits me.

The other thing is that there seems to be more bluffing. Being able to understand how people are betting and getting reads is important. At least it is to me. Any time I can get notes on people, I make to jot them down. But then again, I only play 2 tables right now.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
didnt bother to read any of the other posts but

6max is the nuts
Fullring is for nits

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like both? I think I get too wild at 6max though, after 20000 hands at 6max I might move back for a little while. :)

F

Fireblade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im just gonna bump this thread and ask a quick question. Was 6 maxing on stars late in the UK and it was very very tough. There were only a few fish and I was realy suprised at how tough the play was. Is there a difference between full ring and 6 max in terms of the better players tend to play 6 max or could it just have been the time I was playing was about 11 at night. Blinds were being attacked left right and center. I must have tried most of the tables to find a better one but was very annoying. Plus I was card dead which didn't really help.

I played 6 max the other day and it was pretty tough as well, full ring I found much more fishy and easier to beat. It seems that more and more players know how to play abit,some were nits but others were very aggressive which suprised me slightly. im off to do more reading up because I was struggling to defend against all the blind stealing and 3 betting.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tbh you were probably just at a bad table. Be sure to look for a table that has a high percentage of players seeing a flop